Garfield And Galehead As A Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I was thinking of hitting Galehead and Garfield in a loop considering the relatively easy road walk conditions with the lack of snow right now. My thought was to park at Gale River Rd gate off Rte 3, do road walk to Gale River, GRT to the two summits and descend Garfield Trail for the road walk back to car. I guess my big question is whether the section of the Garfield Ridge Trail between Gale River Trail and Garfield Trail gets any foot traffic in Winter. I've done most of that section in the summer and I'm thinking that the 1000' or so rise to Garfield would be better climbed up because I remember it being pretty steep, rough and wet (so I assume it will be very icy in the current conditions). I'd rather save the far better views on Garfield for last if that is logistically practical. Then again the slow climb to Garfield first would be easier than the steep climb from the other side and last steep section of climbing on Gale River Trail too.

Anyone do this before or have thoughts on it and a preferred direction? Recent trip reports don't seem to show anyone in that area. Looks like most people (this year at least) are hitting Galehead on the way to the Twins. That middle 2 miles or so between the summits has me wondering.

We did what you described (plus an out an back to the twins) in late winter a few years ago. The GRT was definitely the least traveled of all of the trails, but it still showed some evidence of traffic (though it took some work to follow and stay on the packed portion).

As soon as we get into the two president day holiday weeks, there is a major uptick of activity on trails in general until mud season. The trail may not be clear the day after a snowstorm but highly likely the next day.

Of course a cold and windy forecast like this upcoming weekend is going to attract folks up on the summits that probably shouldn't be. Next Monday is the anniversary of Kate Matrosova's fatal hike