Hiking in the extreme cold this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drove to Maine on Saturday via Crawford Notch and back on Sunday via the Kanc. The crazy hikers were out on Saturday, but had thought better of it on Sunday, which was the sunnier day. Skiers at Bretton Woods and Attitash on Sat but almost none at Loon on Sunday. No cars in the lots on Sunday.

I skipped the incredibly cold (and dangerous) to climb weekend. I had Monday off, and it was warmer so I went and climbed North Kearsarge. Great peak! Awesome views of Maine and the eastern side of Washington. Drove over the Kanc to get to Conway, should just be called the most beautiful road in America practically.

24951306032_72e52582a5_z.jpg

I skipped the incredibly cold (and dangerous) to climb weekend. I had Monday off, and it was warmer so I went and climbed North Kearsarge. Great peak! Awesome views of Maine and the eastern side of Washington. Drove over the Kanc to get to Conway, should just be called the most beautiful road in America practically.

24951306032_72e52582a5_z.jpg

If you ever get the chance, drive Trail Ridge road through Rocky Mountain National park, while the kanc is nice, TRR blows it away.

If you ever get the chance, drive Trail Ridge road through Rocky Mountain National park, while the kanc is nice, TRR blows it away.

I like 'em both but you can't drive TRR in winter. The easternmost part is only gated below treeline when it's real bad, though, and in Oct/November it is INCREDIBLE if you can get up to around 11K. The Kanc gives it a real run for its money on a sunny day after a fresh snowfall though.

I'm sure the TRR is a cool route, but I don't care for the Rocky Mountains. I have travelled all over the world and no where, in my opinion, holds a candle to the beauty of Vermont, NY, NH, MA and Maine.
True to Vermont I like green mountains. I don't like rocky mountains that are bare, less colorful, and all exposed. The West/Southwest doesn't impress me. I'll take Glastenbury Mountain, Hurricane, Wittenberg, Moosilauke, Old Speck, etc.. etc.. etc.. any day over anything in the Rockies or Southwest that I've witnessed. The lushness of the peaks out here is much more beautiful, and the mystique as to what's within the forest cover is more appealing to me. The Kancamagus is such a mind-blowingly beautiful route, as is Route 125 in the Breadloaf area of Vermont.

I agree the Kanc is among my favorite roads but I never met a country road I didn't like. My favorite roads don't have utility lines, more favorite roads are not numbered highways and most favorite roads are not paved. The thought of such roads is a nice diversion from the thoughts of extreme cold but I do enjoy the roads out west from Mexico to Canada and north near the Rockies. One such example is the Lolo Motorway in Idaho which is even slower going than the roads in Baxter Park. Another is Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier NP with which few roads can compare. Ahhhh, the mere thought of such places is a sure cure for cabin fever.

I'm sure the TRR is a cool route, but I don't care for the Rocky Mountains. I have travelled all over the world and no where, in my opinion, holds a candle to the beauty of Vermont, NY, NH, MA and Maine.
True to Vermont I like green mountains. I don't like rocky mountains that are bare, less colorful, and all exposed. The West/Southwest doesn't impress me. I'll take Glastenbury Mountain, Hurricane, Wittenberg, Moosilauke, Old Speck, etc.. etc.. etc.. any day over anything in the Rockies or Southwest that I've witnessed. The lushness of the peaks out here is much more beautiful, and the mystique as to what's within the forest cover is more appealing to me. The Kancamagus is such a mind-blowingly beautiful route, as is Route 125 in the Breadloaf area of Vermont.

There is quite a difference in the ranges of the Rocky Mts. and the mountains of the Northeast. I do agree the forest of the Northeast has a lushness that is quite absent in the west. I actually like the wide open spaces of the west and the exposure of being "above" the forest. Don't get me wrong, the Kanc is a beautiful road, between the mountains and the rivers that follow it and the lack of development, we are quite fortunate to have it. Another great route to drive is route 120 passing through the Northern Yosemite area. I'd put that up against just about anything.

Ahhh, 120. I used to drive that road with my climbing partner on Saturday nights. Both of us were grad students in the Bay area, we'd work in lab all day Saturday, throw our gear in the back of one of our cars, and head off for Yosemite on Saturday night. The mountains would sneak up on us in the moonlight as we exited the central valley, and pretty soon we'd be among amazing cliff faces and trees. We'd pull into a forest service road and sleep in the car for the night, waking up in paradise, and then climb all day Sunday before returning Sunday night. Those were some pretty good years.

No happy medium this year so far. Last year I got lucky that the coldest period wasnt as bad as this week was.. minus 24 at night is ok but not during the day!! Hoping next week is sub feezing in HP