Hiking in the extreme cold this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi,

Call me a wimp, BUT....

After careful consideration about hiking in the cold on Saturday or Sunday (cannot hike on Monday), I decided to forget about it. After doing several hikes in similar conditions, I decided that it is no longer fun. I also worry about frozen digits, eyelids frozen shut, frostnip, frostbite, etc.

Instead, I will probably do some low elevation hiking down here in Massachusetts.

Is anyone planning to hike in the mountains this Saturday or Sunday?

Thanks,
Marty

Last edited:
I have hiked many times in the past in similar weather and may this weekend. I just plan hikes that are protected from the wind and preferably have good sun exposure. I also may break out my insulated pants. I call them "peek a boo" hikes, stay in the woods for most of the hike, dress up for the summit. Pop out on the summit, check out the view and then head down. Flume via Osseo is a good example, you get sun for the majority of the hike if you time it right and you are in the woods until the last 100 feet or so. N Kinsman is the same via the trails from Lonesome lake but the last walk up the ridge can be gnarly. Cannon via High Cannon is steep and not recommended when we have deep snow but this year with crampons is should be nice and protected until the ridge and even then its in the trees. South Moat is another good one. The key is to check the forecast and summit conditions in the AM and be ready to call it quits. Madison via Valley Way is always a nice hike that is completely sheltered until the hut. The key thing is when you get to the hut you have to make a decision and it may be to turn around.

Since I am local, I can decide in the AM on Saturday and still get in hike. With me it comes down to I have the gear and the experience but generally not the motivation to go out get beat up by the wind. Like you I have learned that at some point its not fun and that the weather in winter generally is better the later you go. Worst case is I have cord or so of wood to hand split.

Last edited:
I usually wait to start until late morning or mid-day so things can "warm up" on the coldest of cold days, like this coming Saturday :)

I was planning to go up Mt Flume or Garfield and back. Probably put my emergency layers, face mask, etc on the summit and find the weak points if there is alot of wind- but not heading to Lincoln. Sounds like there is no need to bring xc skis for Sunday. Biggest risk is probably the boots so I will bring glad bags for VBL socks...something in my hips does not appreciate the Koflach's anymore.

Had a 24-mile, 6-peak 'Hale to Gale' trip planned for the northern pemi. Rescheduled for Monday. Not enough of a safety margin.

I'm planning on a quick hike of Monadnock Saturday morning. I am heading to the top of the state Saturday afternoon/evening for the long weekend and want to get in something as I haven't had plans work out much yet this winter. Monadnock is local for me, so it makes sense with my plans. It's a shorter peak and shorter hike with not too much above treeline (depending on the route). I think this will be my 80th time on the summit, so I've been up there in all sorts of conditions and tend to enjoy the days with cold temps or higher winds up there as it makes it interesting and less crowded. I've got some gear for colder winter days that I haven't worn yet and plan to use that it Saturday to see how it works before doing a bigger hike with it. Even with the number of summits I've had there, I still treat the mountain with the respect it deserves and will turn back if my gear isn't good enough or the conditions are too bad.

No dramatic plans this weekend but sub zero weather is sub zero weather at any altitude with the liklihood of dangerous wind chill in any exposed areas.

Too dangerous

This is the forecast for Lake Placid tomorrow....And that's in the valley without the wind chill!
I am sure the high summits of the Whites and Vermont will be similar. Tomorrow is going to be the coldest day of the year so far.
In my estimation, too dangerous to hike. I figure if I off myself from hiking in too great a risk, then being dead I won't be able to climb any more mountains and that will be a huge bummer.

24979223095_887b71a155_z.jpg

Given the reports of icy conditions, I'm scaling back plans to flatter terrain. Biggest risk is becoming immobile from injury(for me)

The NWS in Gray/Portland just posted this, which I support given the history of deaths and risks to rescuers in recent years:

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS...

ANYONE CONSIDERING CLIMBING OR HIKING IN THE WHITE MOUNTAINS OF
MAINE OR NEW HAMPSHIRE THIS WEEKEND SHOULD CONSIDER CANCELLING OR
POSTPONING THEIR TRIP. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES
WILL AFFECT THE REGION...ESPECIALLY ABOVE TREE LINE. THE
COMBINATION OF THE COLD AND WIND WILL CREATE LIFE-THREATENING
CONDITIONS FOR ANYONE CAUGHT OUTSIDE AND UNABLE TO REACH SAFETY.

WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES SATURDAY WILL RANGE FROM ABOUT -30 IN THE
LOWER ELEVATIONS TO ABOUT -60 IN EXPOSED AREAS NEAR THE PEAKS.
WIND CHILL VALUES SATURDAY NIGHT WILL DROP TO -40 IN THE LOWER
ELEVATIONS TO NEAR -70 NEAR THE PEAKS. WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES
WILL CLIMB ONLY TO THE -20 TO -50 BY SUNDAY EVENING.

A WIND CHILL TEMPERATURE OF -35 CAN FREEZE EXPOSED SKIN IN 10
MINUTES. WIND CHILL TEMPERATURES BELOW -50 CAN FREEZE EXPOSED SKIN
IN LESS THAN 5 MINUTES.

BE SAFE...DON`T TAKE CHANCES.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NHZ010&warncounty=NHC017&firewxzone=NHZ010&local_place1=Milton%20NH&product1=Special+Weather+Statement&lat=43.4154&lon=-71.0113#.Vr4sPcdElih

The NWS in Gray/Portland just posted this, which I support given the history of deaths and risks to rescuers in recent years:

IN LESS THAN 5 MINUTES.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NHZ010&warncounty=NHC017&firewxzone=NHZ010&local_place1=Milton%20NH&product1=Special+Weather+Statement&lat=43.4154&lon=-71.0113#.Vr4sPcdElih

Sardog, thank you for posting this.

I will still likely do a low elevation hike early Saturday morning in Massachusetts. Sunday is out.

Marty

IN LESS THAN 5 MINUTES.

That certainly puts things in perspective.

I think I will use these lows temps in Southern New Hampshire to test out my Marine Core Outdoor Research mitts out on the trails near my house. No above tree line pursuits for me. :D

As mentioned already, thank you, Sardog.

Hopefully people will be mindful of these potential deadly conditions.

Z

Several years ago I planned a hike on a day that wound up starting below zero and ending with a high of 8°. My friends, experienced hikers, were not as prepared as they should be for that level of cold. But I was really motivated to get out and hike and we did it. It wasn't a long hike but there were a few places that were confusing in the snow and took it some time to figure out which way was the trail - which meant stopping to check for blazes. We all got dangerously cold and since we were further in than out (loop trail) I was determined to move forward and not back track.

Looking back at that hike I realize that I am lucky my friends continue to hike with me. In their view, it was unreasonable to be out, and they were probably right. Living a few hours from the Whites I can pick my days. I am lucky enough to have Monday off to hike and will pick a peak on Sunday night. Meantime I will put on my jammies and socks and read "Forest and Crag."

Last edited:
Same weather expected here in the Adirondacks. We will be ski patrolling at Gore. 2 runs and then in; the resort is a good thing in this weather. I'm sure we will be on "frostbite patrol" standing at the top of Lift 1 telling the kids with no hats on that their ears are blue and they need to go in.

We were hoping to do Owl's Head this Sunday, but we're going to scrub it. Too cold, too deep in.

It's going to be tough out there. I did a sunset/twilight hike for a couple hours after work yesterday with some friends; it dropped to around +2F while we were out and the wind picked up, and it was plenty chilly. Sunday morning is going to be a lot worse.

I hope those who do go out will play safe, well within their abilities, equipment, range to safety, etc.

Looks like I picked a really good weekend to sign up for overtime at work. Sunday is Valentine's Day and we have opted to go movies like an old married couple. :) If I were hiking tomorrow I'd probably stick to something smaller and south of the Whites. I recall hiking S Twin and Galehead several years ago in -single digits and windchill of about -25 and recall it being a cold yet exhilarating day.

Last edited:
I drove over to Lancaster today and back again along RT 2. The weather is actually pleasant over in Lancaster but the wind is picking up from RT 115 east where the influence of the mountains really kick in. One car at Cap Ridge Parking (on a nice weekend there are usually 3 to 6 cars), One truck full of hikers getting ready to hike at Lowes Store (usually 5 to 10 cars) and 3 vehicles at Appalachia (usually full). While driving out there was a WMNF vehicle parked at Appalachia it was gone when I came back. Hope everyone was camping last night and are hiking down.

Just got in from a 60-minute hike up our neighborhood hill ("The Knob") with the kids. The sun is out and the sky is brilliant blue, but temps are dropping and the wind's picking up. No goggles, but full face covering warranted otherwise. Stay safe out there, people -- it's only going to get harder for a while.