snowshoe repairs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaFalls

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a skilled craftsman that can take bindings and attach them to a snowshoe frame. I have a pair of the Sherpa bindings with the cast aluminum teeth. I love these bindings, did two rounds of the ADK 46ers and half of the whites with them. I beat up the frame, the bindings are still good. Any clues, suggestions appreciated.
LavaFalls

You could try Campmor - they have a gear repair department, but it sounds like you are not really repairing but modifying, so I don't know if they would be willing to do something like this.

I just spend several hours rebuilding two pairs of snowshoes - took and old wornout set Sherpa bindings and painted them with shoe goo and attached them to a pair of old Atlas someone gave me because the binding had fallen apart. Then took a new set of Sherpa bindings I had in stock and put them on the old Sherpa frames with the blown out bindings.

If you want advice on the task send me a PM. It is a little tough to pop off the binding with the spring steel clip but nothing that requires special tools - just some prying with a screwdriver and some elbow grease. And the older models without the clip (with the aluminum clamp plate) are just plain easy to do. Make sure you tighten the screws securely when reassembling.

Last edited:
I'll just add that I've done this several times with MSRs, with relative ease. You could argue that the need is its own problem, but this is for more than 1 person, over many years, and I'm tough on my gear...

Since I've never used anything but MSRs for the last 15 years, I'm not particularly qualified to comment on other makers, but MSRs have gotten me thru over 300 winter ascents, which, unlike this year, required snowshoes!

:rolleyes: