Beaver Brook Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaTom

Reaction score
At the point above the shelter, the trail takes a hair pin right. The trail also go straight. Where does this take you. On Friday, trail was broken out for 1/2 mile then stopped abruptly.

At the point above the shelter, the trail takes a hair pin right. The trail also go straight. Where does this take you. On Friday, trail was broken out for 1/2 mile then stopped abruptly.

I'd call it more of a left than going straight if you're talking about the Asquam Ridge Trail. Most likely only broken out to Mt Jim sounds like. Mt Jim is on the TW72. Possibly for someones anytime or winter TW72.

Correct Joe, more of a left. We had our heads down and missed the right turn and followed foot steps for about a 1/2 mile.

That would be me (and my Aussie Tucker). He missed the turn, I had my head down and also missed the turn but realized it right away. I decided to go ahead and check it out as the trail was pretty obvious. Thought there might be another good view into the ravine or a reconnect to the trail, but gave up when the snow got too deep as I did not have my snowshoes. I don't think it was to the summit of Jim as it seemed to stay low. I feel like I remember a re-route in this area back in the 90's when I was first up there?
I think we saw you guys on our way down just before this spot.

It's not too close to the shelter, but when I think of "hairpin" I think of the point where the trail jinks north after passing just below the summit of Mt Blue:

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.03125,-71.8227&z=17&b=f

The original trail goes straight ahead, following the ~4200' contour line a little bit longer before angling up the east side of the summit:
http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=44.02459,-71.8237&z=15&b=1930

It's easy enough to find on the ground, but you want to be cautious as that headwall is steep and Jobildunk ravine is not a good place to be hurt and/or lost!