The 8 New Hampshire 4000 footers I have left

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
They're pretty spread out. There are 2 different ranges where I can score 2 peaks in one hike. The rest are all Solo, unfortunately.
The two that I can get two on are Moriah and South Carter and the other one is Canon and South Kinsman. I've already hiked N. Kinsman as a winter hike so it's just going to be a bonus peak. i'm going to do those next month. I'll have to do Moriah and South Carter as non winter hikes and hit them as winter hikes another time. I also have have Owls' head, Cabot, Isolation and Bond. Then I can start working on the New England 4000 footers (tougher because of the long drives involved) as well as the Trailwright New Hampshire 4000 foot list which has 72 peaks on it's list. So at least I'll have goals. :)
I also want to take another shot at the Pres. Range this year, time permitting. My attempt last summer was killed by a sudden hail storm and high winds when I peaked Adams. The Pemi is also on the list but that might have to wait till next year sadly.

They're pretty spread out. There are 2 different ranges where I can score 2 peaks in one hike. The rest are all Solo, unfortunately.
The two that I can get two on are Moriah and South Carter and the other one is Canon and South Kinsman. I've already hiked N. Kinsman as a winter hike so it's just going to be a bonus peak. i'm going to do those next month. I'll have to do Moriah and South Carter as non winter hikes and hit them as winter hikes another time. I also have have Owls' head, Cabot, Isolation and Bond. Then I can start working on the New England 4000 footers (tougher because of the long drives involved) as well as the Trailwright New Hampshire 4000 foot list which has 72 peaks on it's list. So at least I'll have goals. :)
I also want to take another shot at the Pres. Range this year, time permitting. My attempt last summer was killed by a sudden hail storm and high winds when I peaked Adams. The Pemi is also on the list but that might have to wait till next year sadly.

Cabot, Owls Head, Isolation, and Bond are pretty common for near the end of the NH48 list. Got a plan for the last one or just going to see how they land?

It looks like you have a lot of single summits left. Cannon and South Kinsman on the same day will likely be challenging across the lesser used parts of the KRT, but it's a great section of trail for solitude.

Good luck on them.

Cabot, Owls Head, Isolation, and Bond are pretty common for near the end of the NH48 list. Got a plan for the last one or just going to see how they land?

It looks like you have a lot of single summits left. Cannon and South Kinsman on the same day will likely be challenging across the lesser used parts of the KRT, but it's a great section of trail for solitude.

Good luck on them.

I am fairly certain that Cabot will be dead last. lol As for the rest, I'll just see how it falls.

Yeah, re Raven's comment, don't underestimate that Cannon to S Kinsman hike. Its a long roller coaster.
I'm guessing you must have had a bail out to get Middle Carter but not South?
Cabot would be a fairly uneventful finish but making the loop and punctuating your finish on the Horn would give it more panache.
Happy trails.

Not a lot of people go between the Imp Trail and Moriah on the CMT in winter. It's wicked steep in places, and (this year) probably quite icy.

Tim

Truth. We did the entire ridge, south to north, last November. It was lightly covered in snow and ice, probably similar to conditions now. Decending N. Carter with winter overnight packs towards Imp shelter was Ehhhhhhhhpic.

Truth. We did the entire ridge, south to north, last November. It was lightly covered in snow and ice, probably similar to conditions now. Decending N. Carter with winter overnight packs towards Imp shelter was Ehhhhhhhhpic.

I can imagine that if there was deep fresh snow it would be pretty fun. Of course, that would make the rest of the hike pretty exhausting.

Yeah, re Raven's comment, don't underestimate that Cannon to S Kinsman hike. Its a long roller coaster.
I'm guessing you must have had a bail out to get Middle Carter but not South?
Cabot would be a fairly uneventful finish but making the loop and punctuating your finish on the Horn would give it more panache.
Happy trails.

I'd like to say I remember why I didn't get in South but I made that hike on October 2, 1994.
I had a LONG hiatus from hiking due to some changes in my life that moved me further from the mountains and found me happily with a different wife and 4 new step children so I was pretty busy for a long time. lol I've gotten ALOT of hikes in the last few years though - making up for lost time.

Just in this last year - going backwards, I did Wildcat and Wildcat D, Carrigain, Garfield and Galehead, Hancock and South Hancock, Whiteface, North and South Twin, Zealand (with Guyot and the twins), Jefferson, Webster and Jackson, Adams and Madison, Passoconaway (separate from Whiteface), and North Kinsman. Plus god knows how many hikes up Monadnock, one in Ireland (Diamond Hill) plus some mountains in Western Ma. and Vt. So a good year. :)