Edmunds Col Fatality

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posssible rescue Northern Whites today ?

Two F&G trucks at Lowes store and some activity across RT 2 from the road to Stearns lodge at mid afternoon but gone an hour later. I would guess F&G probably met someone for a walkdown

Last edited:
My group was at the col around 1pm on Saturday - very few parties out, and all appeared copacetic. The problem, if one, must have happened after that.

If he truly was found at treeline as the article indicates, that'd be further down the mountain in the ravine. Either way, RIP and everyone take care out there.

A bit more info http://www.unionleader.com/article/20160229/NEWS07/160229107

This trail doesn't get a lot of use in winter as it can be prone to deep snow and I expect avalanches. It gets quite steep near the top. It is definitely a secondary route to the summits in non snow seasons despite the rather nice terrain it passes through down in the bottom although it can be wet. Tree line is about 1000 feet below the Randolph Path Junction. If the location is described correctly there may be periods of days or weeks where no hiker uses it during a normal winter.

"It's never a good thing to be hiking alone in the White Mts" NH Fish and Game Lt Wayne Saunders
Really? Isn't that a bit of an over-reaction?

"It's never a good thing to be hiking alone in the White Mts" NH Fish and Game Lt Wayne Saunders
Really? Isn't that a bit of an over-reaction?

Not really considering were he's coming from... It's the truth... Good for Lt Saunders for trying to put the fear into weekend warriors. It's his job. I've seen all too many deaths and injuries in the Whites with folks and or solo hikers over the years. Every holiday and or weekend especially with some unstable weather coming in my wife and I predict someone is going to perish and or have to be rescued...
I've got a base of thoughts to figure when these folks will perish... 1. They've planned for a long time to do a certain list or record setting. Or just plain vacation and they talk themselves into keeping the A plan. (We've always had a B Plan as well) 2. Despite the fact weather predicting is basically predictable only about 6 hrs before hand. They figure it will work for them because the % of it coming in early or turbulent is slim. 3. A lot of these folks are very experienced and way over confident in there abilities to plan and execute hikes. 4. Sh** always happens and it comes in multiple stages at times. "Do you feel lucky Well do you?"

Now I'm curious as to when Tim hiked and what took him out. He probably was doing his 4000 NE winter solo list.. I bet he was on his A plan.

None of those points you mention above are isolated to only solo hikers.

The harsh reality is if you are not able to get yourself out of a situation, but are alive and conscious, it's hard to argue that a partner would not be helpful.

The other reality is that 'groupthink' is real, and people could put themselves out of their element but trying to keep up....

We also can't forget that there are I presume 1,000's of solo-hikers each year, and accidents like this are exceedingly rare. I mostly solo, and I'm still here, for example.

It also discounts that a) Whatever put him there, could've happened to both his partner as well; b) He was DOA as soon as he hit the ground, so there wasn't much saving him anyway.

All points taken and I know this.. And I'm sure the Lt. knows this. But his job is to preach safety. An old time Mariner said to me once. " I don't care what anyone says.. I can tell you if you stay out on the Ocean long enough it will get you". Of course hiking solo in the higher summits in the Winter increase's the odds. I still can't get use to all the hikers that bite it over the winter year in and out for one reason or another.
I haven't hiked up there in the Winter but I don't think Micro Spikes would cut it. Someone just gave a trip report on a hike and said he switched to Alpine Crampons of the Grivel 10 or 12 point type as the Micro's didn't cut it for the conditions.

Yes, we've discussed the 'alone' question before. And other similar questions.

Above tree line, winter, alone, night time, 'go light', bushwhacking, etc., (not saying this guy did all of these), all have their risks. They also have their rewards.

Just back from 2 nights at Gray Knob. The caretaker was involved with the removal. He brought a litter up to the col to meet the other responders. I have never seen so much ice. The Lowes path from Gray knob to the log cabin looks more like a frozen waterfall than a trail. If I'm out in similiar conditions in the future I would include a helmet in my gear list

From his facebook page. Doesn't say much, but makes it more personal and not simply a statistic:
The family of Tim Hallock is sad to share this news.
Timothy George Hallock passed into eternity last week at the age of 54 doing what he loved, winter mountaineering. Born June 17, 1961 in Huntington, N.Y., Tim’s life journey as a sea captain and a mountain guide (trail name, “Yeti”) took him to some of the nation’s highest mountain peaks as well as logging over a million miles as a licensed Ship’s Officer on any tonnage vessel on all oceans. Tim graduated Southold High School and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point. In the recent past, he served as President of NYSOGA (New York State Outdoor Guides Association.) Tim was passionate about many things, mostly God’s creation and our place in it, and family. Tim was the beloved son of Sue Hallock and Dan Hallock: the cherished brother of Dan (Emily), Jen, Matt, Charles (Cara), and Susan; the doting, encouraging and generous-hearted uncle of Julianne, Justin, Sarah, Matty, Angie, Brian, Zach, Desirae, Stephen, Danny, Maeryn and Hannah, and blessed with numerous aunts, uncles and cousins. He was a devoted friend and acquaintance to many others as he worked, played and lived life to the full. Tim’s motto was “LIVE LIFE LIKE YOU MEAN IT.” Tim’s recent experiences are chronicled on his website, northeastmountainguides.com, and two Facebook pages HALLOCK’S MARINE SERVICES and NORTHEAST MOUNTAIN GUIDES.

This Mariner was certified to pilot any vessel in any sea. He was a decision maker who evaluated risk and chose a course of action. I think he was as or more capable than many of us. I'm slow to put on traction, maybe it is a short bad stretch and it will get better. Then with microspikes on I often delay to put on full crampons. One slip is all it takes.