Edmunds Col Fatality

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just back from 2 nights at Gray Knob. The caretaker was involved with the removal. He brought a litter up to the col to meet the other responders. I have never seen so much ice. The Lowes path from Gray knob to the log cabin looks more like a frozen waterfall than a trail. If I'm out in similiar conditions in the future I would include a helmet in my gear list

I was up Lowe's to Gray Knob Feb. 5-7. It was my 5th full winter hike up there. This was the most difficult. Almost no snow, and very big ice and rock to negotiate, at about Log Cabin, and above. Crampons were dulled early on the way up due to constant rock, and on the way down, did not bite the ice enough. I have learned to wear a climbing helmet for that route, and will carry one of those short ice climbing axes in the future to get up bulges on the trail, and maybe a short piece of rope for assisting others in the group.

[ I'm slow to put on traction, maybe it is a short bad stretch and it will get better. Then with microspikes on I often delay to put on full crampons. One slip is all it takes.[/QUOTE]

TRUE. I found out the hard way.:(

I was up Lowe's to Gray Knob Feb. 5-7. It was my 5th full winter hike up there. This was the most difficult. Almost no snow, and very big ice and rock to negotiate, at about Log Cabin, and above. Crampons were dulled early on the way up due to constant rock, and on the way down, did not bite the ice enough. I have learned to wear a climbing helmet for that route, and will carry one of those short ice climbing axes in the future to get up bulges on the trail, and maybe a short piece of rope for assisting others in the group.

Extra crampons for the way down it seems as well. or a file.. this was a season for ice since early on.

The last article link says he died of hypothermia. I see a lot of references to helmets and other equipment. Did I miss something? Did he have a fall that incapacitated him or did he just succumb to the elements?

DayTrip, I imagine the autopsy will tell us about any injuries or medical events. I believe the gear remarks were only hikers discussing what would be needed for the conditions at the time.

The last article link says he died of hypothermia. I see a lot of references to helmets and other equipment. Did I miss something? Did he have a fall that incapacitated him or did he just succumb to the elements?

I think there are assumptions (mine, too), that he slipped or fell, and then became incapacitated and became hypothermic from there.

[ I'm slow to put on traction, maybe it is a short bad stretch and it will get better. Then with microspikes on I often delay to put on full crampons. One slip is all it takes.

TRUE. I found out the hard way.:([/QUOTE]

I fortunately (or unfortunately I guess - dislocated my shoulder) learned this lesson early on in my Winter hiking too. I don't understand why people are so resistant to wearing crampons versus spikes or barebooting vs microspikes, etc. It's like it is some sort of macho thing to try to get by with the least amount of gear or something. I don't get it. I use my crampons quite often and don't really care what people think of it. If I'm on any kind of moderate to steep grade where my overall hiking speed would be no different in spikes I far prefer the crampons. So much more secure. You can just walk right up and down the fall line confidently. And when there is a a few inches or more of powder they are way more reliable for grip. I even prefer them over snowshoes (to a point) because you don't have the deck and other parts angling your feet, sliding and catching on rocks and roots, especially in steep scratchy spots. Other than fairly flat grades crampons for me are my preferred traction option, especially descending. I've worn crampons more this year than I ever have and find I really prefer in most conditions and wonder why I haven't been doing this right along other than the public perception that "you wear spikes because you don't need crampons".

I also bought a climbing helmet early in my Winter hiking (which honestly was an over reaction to a very icy descent I made and some prodding about it from my wife). I haven't actually worn yet but carry it on the steeper hikes just in case. That is another item that seems like a no brainer to have that you almost never see anyone wearing unless they're actual ice climbers. If nothing else the foam insulates your head and keeps you warm and if you should happen to slip could save your life.

DayTrip, I imagine the autopsy will tell us about any injuries or medical events. I believe the gear remarks were only hikers discussing what would be needed for the conditions at the time.

The article did say the autopsy result was that it was hypothermia but did not reference any other injuries. That is why I though I missed something. With the level of experience this guy had it would seem highly unlikely he just fell victim to hypothermia without some other contributing factors.

I haven't seen any articles that indicate a fall was involved. If that were a factor in his death, the associated trama would be exceedingly obvious and I'd be amazed if that information was not released alongside the eventual cause of death (hypothermia). But I suppose stranger things have happenned.

I also have not seen any estimated time of death. Could he have succomed over President's day weekend, the last really cold spell?

Finally, it seems like lately we've seen a lot of rescues of inexperienced/incompetent hikers, and deaths of really accomplished and skilled mountaineers. That's something for us old salts to think about (if I may put myself in that category).

I haven't seen any articles that indicate a fall was involved. If that were a factor in his death, the associated trama would be exceedingly obvious and I'd be amazed if that information was not released alongside the eventual cause of death (hypothermia). But I suppose stranger things have happenned.

I also have not seen any estimated time of death. Could he have succomed over President's day weekend, the last really cold spell?

Finally, it seems like lately we've seen a lot of rescues of inexperienced/incompetent hikers, and deaths of really accomplished and skilled mountaineers. That's something for us old salts to think about (if I may put myself in that category).

Agreed...just an assumption on my part, nothing more.

As to your second point, I suppose the optimist in me says that if you are experienced, and have your gear, the only way you'd need help getting out of the mountains is if you were dead. Inexperienced won't let it get that far, and pull the trigger much earlier.

Just a couple of points in regards to two comments above. One or two deaths during a winter is nothing new in the Whites, the board in the summit house list well over 100 deaths in the range. As far as experienced climbers deaths, that's per usual as well. There is most assuredly a rise in rescues of inexperienced hikers, blame social media for that. The reason I say that is in the old day's we bought guides and maps and books on how to climb. We put in the hours to learn our craft. Now people go to FB to get information, which is like going to FB for a lawyer. While there is plenty of great climbers on FB, there is plenty of not so great climbers who are perfectly willing to hand out advice. The amount of deaths relative to the amount of climbers out there is small. Although the press seems to run with the stories as the popularity of hiking has risen. As far as being an Old Salt? I started hiking in the 70's, does that qualify me?;)

Not speaking about any incident in particular, but perhaps the point you've raised is that it can take more to scare us more experienced adventurers, causing the threshold to call for help to be harder to meet. This isn't to say that experience begets recklessness; I think it inspires confidence and pride. I suspect that a number of us might feel a sense of shame if we ask for help - and that it would be amplified if we look back and determine that we ultimately didn't need it. That fear is irrational, and no one should be shamed for the act of asking for help. Castigating someone for being reckless and getting themselves into a bad situation might be appropriate, but the focus should not be on someone asking for help.

I also suspect that these rescues and fatalities strike a chord with many members here, and that some believe that an accidental could never happen to them. I feel being able to balance one's hubris with an objective assessment of a situation is an essential skill. Proactively managing situations that could lead to the need for a rescue, and the ability to self-rescue are vital, but so is our ability to make that call once we've crossed that line.

That's an interesting question asked a bit earlier about how long he might have been there...has that been asked or answered? Had he removed any clothing as is not uncommon for hypothermia illness and death? (Thinking about the Monadnock Ranger who died off Twinway/Guyot a few years ago.)

Very sad, my heartfelt condolences to his family & friends.

Slightly off topic but worth mentioning, a couple people have mentioned wearing a helmet while hiking icy trails. A climbing helmet is specifically designed to protect from items falling from above. A cycling helmet would be more appropriate for hiking an icy trail imho as they are designed to cushion and impact to the side of the head.

Old Salts (like me) take note

Agreed...just an assumption on my part, nothing more.

As to your second point, I suppose the optimist in me says that if you are experienced, and have your gear, the only way you'd need help getting out of the mountains is if you were dead. Inexperienced won't let it get that far, and pull the trigger much earlier.

I agree with the post. My trip this week to Marcy was cancelled due to illness of one of the team. In the "old days" (yes the 70's) we would have made fun of him and all of us would have gone deep into the woods. Fortunately, prudence prevails SOMETIMES. We also postponed the trip due to the weather 3 weeks ago. Last year we were there for 7 degree days and -29 at night and we did just fine BUT, the weather that week was -24 at 2PM at Marcy Dam!!!! NO THANKS

With the experience gained over 40 years and with equipment being superior, we CAN go anywhere/anytime but SHOULD we..

Very sad, my heartfelt condolences to his family & friends.

Slightly off topic but worth mentioning, a couple people have mentioned wearing a helmet while hiking icy trails. A climbing helmet is specifically designed to protect from items falling from above. A cycling helmet would be more appropriate for hiking an icy trail imho as they are designed to cushion and impact to the side of the head.

I have a cycling helmet, and it has saved me in more than one crash, but, for me would be in the way, and would look even wackier than the BD ice climbing helmet, which gets a comment or two from confident younger ones in my group. Having taken a fall up there a couple of times, at my age, it's worth the jab or two. Age is the factor. Fatigue = lack of balance.

A small file to touch up crampons will be on board, we discussed that for the group. Good idea.

Last edited:
A small file to touch up crampons will be on board, we discussed that for the group. Good idea.

Back in the day, "real" crampons and an ice ax were derigueur for any outing above treeline. You just brought them, no questions.

But the evolution of microspikes, stabilicers and trekking poles has made 12-points and ice axes seem like overkill. And, anyone who has stumbled around on 12-points in the Alpine Garden is thankful for the progress.

But, given the somewhat unique condx of trails this winter due to multiple freeze-thaw cycles and appalling lack of snow, real crampons might not be such a bad idea, especially on trails with steep sections.

See this trip report from an EMS guide and note his comments about the "Hillery Step" on the Lion's Head winter route.

Maybe some things never change.

cb

Last edited:
A sad story indeed.

Re the helmet discussion; I believe that a ski helmet would be a adequate compromise between the ice climbing helmet and the bike helmets referenced above. Lord knows, I don't need anymore helmets in my life, it would be nice to own a helmet that served a dual purpose.

A ski helmet in cold weather is not a bad idea. I use it for bicycle commuting or winter fatbiking - it completely blocks the wind and had a soft warm fabric insert that goes over your ears and parts of your 'sideburns'. For the Presi it might be the perfect had to block the wind, the sound of the wind and to accomodate perfect fit for your ski goggles.

A sad story indeed.

Re the helmet discussion; I believe that a ski helmet would be a adequate compromise between the ice climbing helmet and the bike helmets referenced above. Lord knows, I don't need anymore helmets in my life, it would be nice to own a helmet that served a dual purpose.