Moosilauke via Gorge Brook, 3/5/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBKDalton

Reaction score
Date of Hike: March 5

Trail Conditions: After reading all the horrific trail conditions and ice in the past few weeks, and knowing that I would be hiking with my Dad, I suggested we hike the Carriage Road the whole way up. However, Breezy Point Road was not plowed past the last mail box, so we went up Gorge Brook instead. Conditions are actually great, bare booted the road, which was a strange mix of non slippery light frozen snow that made for effortless walking, and then put on microspikes for the rest of the hike. The trail started with a solid mix of frozen snow, ice and rock, and ended with about six inches of new soft powder in the trail.

Equipment Needed: light traction. Perfect microspike conditions for the first part of the hike. snowshoes could be helpful in the last mile- I hate slipping in soft powder myself-but there were no post holes and no real need to bring them up as far as snow depth was concerned.

Comments: Wonderful day up there, blue skies and great views. Wind was not too bad. Didn't see a ton of people.