Looking for Light Weight Hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
I have plenty of heavy leather boots like La Sportiva GTX, Makalu, and Nepal's. I've gotten a bit older and smarter! I'm looking at getting a lighter pair of boots for the upcoming spring. I figure best approach is to ask your advice and go from there. I do want a lightweight boot but one that is also pretty durable. Doesn't have to be waterproof but that isn't exactly a bad thing either. I'm a big fan of La Sportiva, Asolo, Vasque but open to plenty of other brands as well. Not taking price into the equation at this point.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but if this for times when there's no or little snow on the ground, why wear boots? Low-cut shoes are much lighter. Something marketed as an "approach shoe" or a "trail runner" will work well, and will probably cost less too.

My latest pair of hiking shoes are the Mammut (aka Raichle) Ridge Low GTX. They are quite rugged and have fairly stiff soles. The fit is similar to Vasque or Salomon.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but if this for times when there's no or little snow on the ground, why wear boots? Low-cut shoes are much lighter. Something marketed as an "approach shoe" or a "trail runner" will work well, and will probably cost less too.

There is validity in what you say. I've broken my right ankle multiple times over the years. Last time was 2012 on a quad and it has never been the same. I'm also a larger frame dude so I benefit from some solid support. Otherwise I'd be in trail runners.

And here I thought you were talking about skinny people! LOL!:D

Skinny people run from me :( I'm older now and I did pick up a mt bike.....I have been leaning out over the last 6 weeks so 215lbs just may be on the horizon!! I should say.....LOOONG horizon:D

It's of my opinion, that hiking boots are a very personalized item. It's impossible to tell someone what brand and model someone should buy. Different people will absolutely swear by different brands. For me, it's Merrell. But you seem to be reasonably close to the Yonkers REI. I'd go there and spend some time trying on several pairs. And remember, you've got a year to return them if they end up not feeling right after hiking in them.

Last edited:
I've also gone from heavy, hightop hikers to low cuts. First some Merrill Moabs, but I found the sole to flexible and not enough support from twisting in the heel. Two years ago I purchased a pair of 5-10 Camp Fours and they have been the best. Very sticky sole (that is what 5-10 is known for), substantial external skeleton around the heel, and a stiffer sole. I see that have redesigned the shoe and raised the price, but I've been very happy with them

http://www.fiveten.com/us/outdoor/hiking/camp-four-brown-yellow

Last edited:
Vasque Sundowner has long had a reputation of being a sturdy but very lightweight hiking boot. I have two pair, both lined with goretex. They're not the perfect fit for many people, though, and, on principle, I won't buy another pair as long as they are made in China and not Italy like they had been for many years.

New Balance also has a reputation for lightweight runners and trail shoes. I have a goretex lined pair of trail runners which I like; not exactly lightweight but lighter than most hiking boots and as suitable as hiking boots under the right circumstances (shorter hikes or hikes over less rugged terrain). My only complaint is that they can get rather warm which suggests that the outer fabric is not as breathable as leather ... something I only notice when not hiking. The better New Balance shoes are made in USA but more expensive (that's the price for environmental sensivity and fair wages).

Last edited:
I don't think mine qualify as lightweight and maybe too close to what your moving away from. For many years, I have sworn by the Merrill Wilderness model. Full grain leather with a Vibram sole. They stick to all kinds of rock and with proper treatment are totally waterproof, yet breath extremely well. I too have some worn ankles and need the support of a boot. I average around 14 years for a pair, but I'm dedicated to cleaning and treating them with wax. Limmer re-soles mine and his treads are the best. Not easy to find and come in at 325.00 or so.

It's of my opinion, that hiking boots are a very personalized item. It's impossible to tell someone what brand and model someone should buy. Different people will absolutely swear by different brands. For me, it's Merrell. But you seem to be reasonably close to the Yonkers REI. I'd go there and spend some time trying on several pairs. And remember, you've got a year to return them if they end up not feeling right after hiking in them.

This is sound advice.

I returned a pair of trail runners to EMS after several hikes and they did not give me the least bit of trouble. As Joe essentially said, all people have different needs (and different types of feet). That being said, if you are going to try on several pairs of boots of different makes and models, I would suggest trying on the Salomon Quest 4D.

Good Luck,

Z :D

I don't think mine qualify as lightweight and maybe too close to what your moving away from. For many years, I have sworn by the Merrill Wilderness model. Full grain leather with a Vibram sole. They stick to all kinds of rock and with proper treatment are totally waterproof, yet breath extremely well. I too have some worn ankles and need the support of a boot. I average around 14 years for a pair, but I'm dedicated to cleaning and treating them with wax. Limmer re-soles mine and his treads are the best. Not easy to find and come in at 325.00 or so.

Those are my favorites as well, used them for 30+ years (wow I am getting old). The original Merrell Wilderness model was almost identical to the custom Limmers (full leather liners too!!) , then they got kind of cheap but still were fairly good. Typically one round of re-soling then the uppers get too soft, but takes 15 years at my pace. I'm on pair #3. They ain't light, neither am I. :) Have been thinking about getting something lighter for out here in CO where there is typically less mud and crap, but why mess with what works?

Anyway, sorry I can't help you with a lightweight recommendation.

Those are my favorites as well, used them for 30+ years (wow I am getting old). The original Merrell Wilderness model was almost identical to the custom Limmers (full leather liners too!!) , then they got kind of cheap but still were fairly good. Typically one round of re-soling then the uppers get too soft, but takes 15 years at my pace. I'm on pair #3. They ain't light, neither am I. :) Have been thinking about getting something lighter for out here in CO where there is typically less mud and crap, but why mess with what works?

Anyway, sorry I can't help you with a lightweight recommendation.

I find they are perfect for the CO peaks as well. They perform well in loose scree and stick great on steep class 3 routes.

Is there such a thing as an approach shoe that doesn't have a narrow toe box? I'm considering abandoning full blown boots this year and going to a lighter, lower shoe like an approach shoe but several of the models I checked out have that pointed front like a rock climbing shoe, which I know will be wildly uncomfortable for my wide feet.

Is there such a thing as an approach shoe that doesn't have a narrow toe box?

If you might be interested in a zero drop shoe, also consider Altra brand shoes - nice wide anatomical toe box.

Second on Keen. Big toe box, lightweight, feel like sandals. Oboz is very similar.

The Keen Targhee (II?) comes in a low hiker like a trail runner but beefier. It is also made in a midsize that gives some ankle support as well as the big toe box and is very light weight. Waterproof is an option on these. I have used the lows for 5 years now and used the mids once, but I prefer trail runners or low hikers myself.

Like Joe said, it's personal. Most Italian boots don't work for me. Find out your foot style if you can.

There is validity in what you say. I've broken my right ankle multiple times over the years. Last time was 2012 on a quad and it has never been the same. I'm also a larger frame dude so I benefit from some solid support. Otherwise I'd be in trail runners.

My ankles were damaged playing high school football. Only high top type hikers saved them and actually finally healed them after many years of unexpected give outs in pain.
My suggestion and what I found for lite weights are Asolo Fugitives... just plain great boots. Why fool with cheaper non support boots that weigh just a few onces less.
I use these with light weight socks. I have Asolo TPS 520's now for my "heavy hikers"

I used the Zamberlan low Air Around hiking shoe/sneaker last year to hike the Long Trail. Don't have the specs at hand but it is light but rugged enough for the LT. It also dries quickly when it gets wet which is also a asset. On the downside it has a fabric layer that got torn by the end of the hike. Nevertheless the shoe is still functional and I expect to get 400-500 miles out of it in total.