Bonds Saturday And High Water Levels

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Was really hoping to do the Bonds this weekend from Lincoln Woods but the East Branch Pemi is running pretty high and hasn't receded nearly as much as I would have hoped so far today. Are the four crossings on Black Brook generally difficult in warmer Winter season? Only been through there a few times in Summer and in very dry periods so not sure what to expect for those crossings in a "typical" early Spring scenario. I don't recall how thick the woods are and whether bushwhacking is an option. If it is tough going it will likely chew up too much time to reach Bond/West Bond/Bondcliff. Last trip report from Wed made conditions sound pretty ideal but that was before the temps and the rivers have risen.

In a related question, anyone know if/how much snow is left on Lincoln Woods Trail? Never got a chance to try the pulk I built this season so I was hoping to tie a test drive of the pulk in with my trip to the Bonds. I figure if I can at least get it to the point where the Wilderness Trail turns off the road grade and heads over to Black Brook that will cut almost half the mileage carrying a Winter pack off.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Not enough snow, IMHO, for a pulk. In fact, for all intents and purposes (pulk pulling included) no snow to speak of on LW.

Best of luck

Planning on doing this rout on Sunday, if anyone attempts it between now and then a report on conditions would be appreciated.

Not enough snow, IMHO, for a pulk. In fact, for all intents and purposes (pulk pulling included) no snow to speak of on LW.

Best of luck

OK. Thanks. I guess the test drive will have to wait for next year. I'll throw it in the car just in case.

Planning on doing this rout on Sunday, if anyone attempts it between now and then a report on conditions would be appreciated.

I'll be attempting Saturday but I'll be home way too late to provide any useful information for you. I drive back and forth from CT. If you want to send me an email at [email protected] I can send you a quick and dirty report from Lincoln, NH when I stop for gas, hopefully 6-7 PM.

Bare-booted in Zealand Road to trailhead this morning. Ice here and there in various locations. Soft snow for ascents and descents. River crossings doable, lots of ice on LW trail covered with water in sections on way out. Spikes all day. Blowdown on way out to West Bond to go around. Dry rock down to Bondcliff (took off spikes for part of this). Nice to meet Mirabela and Intrepid, and congrats on her W48 finish!

Reviving this thread from last season. My hiking partner and I have been discussing a hike to the Bonds including an overnight. We've done winter hiking in the Whites but not camping yet, but will soon.

I'd like to ask some questions about the pulks. I'm trying to picture water crossings while pulling a sled. I have enough trouble sometimes with just my backpack. :p How do you manage? Does the sled flip often? Do you bundle your gear and cover your gear with a tarp should the sled tip?

Thank you.

I never got to actually try mine last year so I can't comment on that. There are quite a few "pulk" threads on here so if you search you may find an answer. May want to post as a new thread so it gets more visibility. I have several long hikes planned this Winter with some road walks so I'm hoping to get the pulk out there and get some experience with it so any feedback from me is a ways off.

I'm not a pulk guy, so forgive this if it's an ignorant statement. I thought they were used for approaches on fairly tame ground. Seems to me, it would be an epic to haul one up the Bonds, let alone cross water.

12698691_1060402653982983_2161411594466579911_o.jpg

Fins provide lateral stability at the expense of drag

12832404_1077509942272254_4441309994206954062_n.jpg

You can wrap everything up in a tarp, or

12829461_1077511045605477_1687150769891291075_o.jpg

you can use these waterproof dufflebags...

Tim

I'm not a pulk guy, so forgive this if it's an ignorant statement. I thought they were used for approaches on fairly tame ground. Seems to me, it would be an epic to haul one up the Bonds, let alone cross water.

That is my understanding as well. The steeper the terrain, particularly side hill traveling, can make the pulk very cumbersome to use and control. When I was going to do my Bond trip with the pulk my intent was to take it for the flats of Lincoln Woods and early parts of Bondcliff and then stash it somewhere around the 2nd or 3rd river crossing where that steep winding area is. That route is relatively tame terrain, with a few short exceptions, until you start climbing to that scramble and treeline so in good snow conditions you could probably get quite a distance with a pulk.

I get the pulk if you go out for a week but I do not understand using the pulk on a weekend trip. How much stuff do you want to bring :) ? You can easily just carry a nice backpack and be done with it.

When I used to use one I would tie my "load monster" winter pack into the sled with the straps facing out. I had hitch pins on the road and could pop them off in a minute. I would pick up the pack with the pulk attached and wear it until I was past the rough patch. Pulks seem to work real well for groomed trails like at Baxter where the rangers run snowmachines, far less so for trails that are not for logging roads or railroad beds.

Thank you everyone! I was leery about starting a new thread, since there are already many on related subjects. As an avid lurker on this site, I did read many of the threads, but thought I'd actually post something for a change.

And replies to your questions to me:

- Yes, for the flats in Lincoln Woods and maybe future road walks in if I like the sled option. I can't picture taking it on steeps, especially a steep descent.

-My backpacking pack bothered my shoulders and back with summer gear, I thought this might be a nice way to distribute the added weight of winter gear.

Thanks again, the photos are quite helpful.

I get the pulk if you go out for a week but I do not understand using the pulk on a weekend trip. How much stuff do you want to bring :) ? You can easily just carry a nice backpack and be done with it.

Isn't the main advantage that pulling the load in the sled is less strenuous than carrying on your back? I can't speak for everyone else but my intent was partially just to build one and try it out just for the knowledge in the future and to use on very long day hikes/overnights with a significant roadwalk or easy distances like Zealand from Rte 302, Owl's Head, Carrigain or whatever. And if the walking is easier maybe I'll take a stove on a day hike and enjoy some hot food or coffee or something that I might not bother with if I was carrying everything in the pack for the day to save the weight. Certainly don't need one in my case. Just like to experiment with different gear for ideas. I think I spent $48 building my pulk ($40 of which was the sled).

There are times when pulk isn't worth the hassle (i.e. river crossings, log bridges, winding trails, etc.). But, there are times when it's substantially easier if the trail is right.

When I've used them, I've gone for an overnighter with my family. So, I end up carrying much more, and am out to ensure comfort. Like most pieces of a gear, they all have their place and are not for all the time.

Thank you everyone! I was leery about starting a new thread, since there are already many on related subjects. As an avid lurker on this site, I did read many of the threads, but thought I'd actually post something for a change.

And replies to your questions to me:

- Yes, for the flats in Lincoln Woods and maybe future road walks in if I like the sled option. I can't picture taking it on steeps, especially a steep descent.

-My backpacking pack bothered my shoulders and back with summer gear, I thought this might be a nice way to distribute the added weight of winter gear.

Thanks again, the photos are quite helpful.

Maybe your pack is the issue and fixing that may eliminate the need for a pulk. Pack fit and pack quality is everything when carrying a load. What do you use for a pack and was it fit properly.