End of Winter Hikes 2016

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Well Saturday appears to be the last day of hiking for the so called Winter of 2016, the winter that barely was, (at least in the whites). The long range forecast looks like sunny but breezy for Saturday.

So what hikes are on the list for the last weekend day hike of the winter? I usually make the call around Wednesday as the forecasts firm up.

I'm heading up this weekend. Can't wait. Hoping to tackle the Hancocks on Saturday. Maybe Isolation on Sunday.

I'll be tackling the St Patrick's Day parade in Providence. :) Hopefully weather is decent Friday and I can sneak a hike in before with a day out of work.

I'm heading to the North Gate of BSP. Might squeeze last weekend of skiing out of it or will bring a fat bike.

I'll be tackling the St Patrick's Day parade in Providence. :) Hopefully weather is decent Friday and I can sneak a hike in before with a day out of work.

Best time of year for Waterfall viewing. I'm planning on hitting the other two Lyon mountain (ADK) vicinity 3000'er peaks that I haven't done out of the 4 this weekend.
Last weekend I climbed Eleventh Mountain (ADK). Perfect sunny weather. Discovered some great cascades on the way up. This peak was much thicker towards the cap than I expected. Slow and difficult whacking.

Summit of Eleventh Mtn (ADK) had a ribbon indicating the highest point:
25720470602_222f21542e_z.jpg

Really nice cascade on ascent of Eleventh:
25720337322_7367db6ae2_z.jpg

I'm going to the hike Cannon via Kinsman Trail. Depending on conditions/how I feel, I would really like to do the out and back to South Kinsman. It's a long hike but I'll start early and see how I feel.

I hiked the Hancocks with a friend on Saturday and then followed it up with a solo hike to Mt Hight on Sunday. Great weekend in the Whites!

I climbed 4 peaks this weekend. On Saturday my wife and I climbed High Falls and Little Rocky in the CATS. Loved them both. The waterfall was impressive - it was very tall. Little Rocky had some cool topography, lots of ledges and pines which made for an exciting climb.

Yesterday I climbed S. Whaleback and Big Coolidge in the Whites. I took the old Osseo trail up from the neighborhood across from Loon. The old Osseo trail goes up to within a very short distance of S. Whaleback. It was a short, pretty easy bushwhack to the summit of S. Whaleback from the Old Osseo trail. However, when I got to the summit canister, it was a peanut butter jar. I looked in it and people had written "fake summit." So I pressed on about another 15 minutes across the ridge, where I found the real summit and AMC PVC canister.
Once I got back down to the old Osseo Trail I went down a ways and then bushwhacked across the cusp of the lower flanks of Whaleback over to the base of Big Coolidge. Big Coolidge stood before me like a giant wall. I headed up the extremely steep face. It took me 90 minutes to get to the summit from the brook below. I'd say mostly class 3 whacking. I descended off the summit heading southeast towards Loon. Some steep class 4 thickness on this route. I emerged back on the old Osseo trail right by the water tank/tower behind the neighborhood I had begun at.
Total time: 6 hours. A great sunny day in the Whites.

High Falls in the CATS (On way up to High Falls Peak). Awesome 60-70 foot waterfall:
25839449522_7ab35d17e1_z.jpg

At Summit canister of South Whaleback before going on to Big Coolidge in the Whites yesterday:
25327562154_3f5fbbd2c0_z.jpg

Tough going on the steep bushwhack to the summit of Big Coolidge yesterday in the Whites:
25327570574_b4f02f8c13_z.jpg

View north toward Franconia Notch from Big Coolidge:
25934366006_1eb9906de9_z.jpg

With a forecast of a one day window with no weather and little wind in the presidents on Wednesday, I changed my plans from a 2 day hike of Carters and Wilds to Mt Adams. Being slow and a relatively fair weather hiker, I have to grab the Presidents when I can. It was a great hike up Airline and down Valley though more stops for traction changes (bare boot, spikes and HS pro crampons) and layer changes than I think I have ever done. Some pics at the below blog site. - Marvin