GPS Track For Katahdin Knife Edge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to have a GPS track (really just the hike data like you would get in BaseCamp) for the section of trail from Pamola Peak to Baxter Peak across the Knife Edge? I'm plotting out routes and times for a trip this June and I'm curious how much up/down (vertical ascent/descent) there is across this stretch. I'm sure the time in guide for this section is very misleading relative to the nominal mileage and few hundred feet of net gain. Not sure if Maine guide uses the same "rule of thumb" time calculations as AMC NH Guide. I use a modified version of this for my estimates. If anyone has the info handy it would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't have the gps track, but I can tell you it's anywhere from one to two hours to do this, depending on your fear of heights and how hard the wind is blowing.

Yes, the KE is almost as variable as Mahoosuc Notch when it comes to time it takes to do it. The actual vertical matters little - with the biggest variability getting down and up the chimney just as you leave Pamola. Some scramble down and up in a couple minutes, others need - ahem- a figurative change of undergarments, depending on weather and tolerance for exposure. Took me an hour and a half the first time I did it, half that the second time.

The distance and elevation change are just what you see on the map - there's no hidden small-scale PUDs to worry about. Gentle grades all the way except that one little notch, but you do spend a fair amount of time on rocky ground very close to some very intimidating drops. In terms of path slope it's not really different from going from Lincoln to Lafayette; in terms of footing it's more like the top of Mt Adams or Mt Madison, in terms of exposure it's worse than the top of Mt Clay.

http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/baxter/i22.jpg
http://www.davidalbeck.com/photos/photoview.pl?mp=2&photo=baxter/i25.jpg

I have sat for 20 minutes or longer at the one tight spot next to the chimney waiting for folks to head down and spent even longer helping others work their way past the tight spot. If its nice day, its worth taking frequent breaks as the "wow factor" for first timers is pretty high. If heading down from the summit the "oh crap" factor increases as you go (the frog in boiling water principle applies) while heading up the hardest stuff gets over in the first 1/4 to a third.

I have sat for 20 minutes or longer at the one tight spot next to the chimney waiting for folks to head down and spent even longer helping others work their way past the tight spot. If its nice day, its worth taking frequent breaks as the "wow factor" for first timers is pretty high. If heading down from the summit the "oh crap" factor increases as you go (the frog in boiling water principle applies) while heading up the hardest stuff gets over in the first 1/4 to a third.

Will it be this crowded weekdays as well? I will be doing on a MON or a TUE so I hope it won't be as clogged up. I really want to take my time and enjoy it. Goal is to get a very early start and crank up to Pamola as quickly as I can and then take my time, take a lot of pictures and soak it all in.

Your time is also directly proportional to the time spent gawking at the magnificence of the place.

My approach in such treks is to forget about time and live in the moment. That fosters the fondest memories whether they be of the views, contemplation of the ancient source of the pervasive stone, admiration for the organisms that call this home, the notion that, despite the illusion, there are few places on the route that you can fall any further than an ordinary flight of stairs (though probably far more damaging), or the observation of someone courageously overcoming a case of vertigo.

There will be half as many people during the weekdays, Tuesday thru Thursday. Many people add Monday or Friday to make it a long weekend, so there may be little difference from Saturday and Sunday.

On a nice day its always busy on the Knife Edge and the summit. Its far less busy on Hamlin. The key to avoiding the crowd is a very early start. Also find out when the Togue Pond gate is open. In past years they used to open early before sunrise so that day hikers could get going around sunrise or soon thereafter. I believe in recent years they may have stopped doing this. Ideally if you want a quiet day you want to be on the trail well before the gate is open as there is wave of day hikers all hitting the trail once the gate is open. These hikers rapidly spread out and the mountain gets busy. The other major plus of an early start on Helon Taylor is sunrise. Helon Taylor gets up above treeline quickly and sunrise from the east side of the mountain is worth the early start. The light is incredible and its hard to beat. That advantage can be big disadvantage on a marginal day as that route is the most exposed of any of the summit routes. Another consideration is Katahdin likes to build clouds in the afternoon. Frequently Baxter Peak will be in the clouds while 15 minutes away its in the clear. The first view down across the tableland after climbing up the Knife Edge is something you don't want to miss. There really is no down side to an early state except some lost sleep and using your headlamp for a few minutes in the AM.

On a nice day its always busy on the Knife Edge and the summit. Its far less busy on Hamlin. The key to avoiding the crowd is a very early start. Also find out when the Togue Pond gate is open. In past years they used to open early before sunrise so that day hikers could get going around sunrise or soon thereafter. I believe in recent years they may have stopped doing this. Ideally if you want a quiet day you want to be on the trail well before the gate is open as there is wave of day hikers all hitting the trail once the gate is open. These hikers rapidly spread out and the mountain gets busy. The other major plus of an early start on Helon Taylor is sunrise. Helon Taylor gets up above treeline quickly and sunrise from the east side of the mountain is worth the early start. The light is incredible and its hard to beat. That advantage can be big disadvantage on a marginal day as that route is the most exposed of any of the summit routes. Another consideration is Katahdin likes to build clouds in the afternoon. Frequently Baxter Peak will be in the clouds while 15 minutes away its in the clear. The first view down across the tableland after climbing up the Knife Edge is something you don't want to miss. There really is no down side to an early state except some lost sleep and using your headlamp for a few minutes in the AM.

I'll be camping at Roaring Brook so the plan is to be hiking at daybreak or just before.

The earlier you start, the better. Last year, the GF and I started before daybreak to get up Hamlin Ridge trail before it got too hot. I assumed we would be the first ones up there. We arrived at the summit at 10am and there was already a couple women there who had hiked up Hunt trail, bagged Baxter peak and hit Hamlin on the way back down. We looked up at Baxter peak and there was already a visible crowd gathering.

DT:
Another option would be to stay at Chimney Pond (bunk house or tent sites) the first night ( easy 3 mile hike from roaring brook) and get an early start up to Pamola via Dudley trail (1.4 miles 2000 ft el gain) and get a jump on early starters taking Helon Taylor from Roaring Brook. You can leave gear at CP and pick it back up on the way back down. I did this coincidently the same windy day that Tim, Chris & company did Katahdin. I was the first one on the knife’s edge with no traffic. Didn’t even know the vftt group was there until I met them at the Martson trailhead to the Cole/Brother loop the next day. My trip report is at: http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com/2013_09_04_archive.html . I may still have my track if you want it, but several others have already given theirs and mine isn’t very good if you want to judge times (slow hiker :) ). -- Marvin