Trail Adopters Needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewster

Reaction score
This is the annual appeal looking for trail adopters for the Pemi District in the WMNF.
The trails listed below are orphaned and would love to be adopted.

Trail Name Length

Black Mt 2.3
Black Pond 0.8
Blueberry Mt. 4.5
Crawford Path(to Webster Cliff) 2.6
Donkey Hill Cutoff 1.0
Drakes Br. 3.2
East Pond (Tripoli) 2.1
East Side 5.1
Gordon Pond 4.8
Guinea Pond 2.2
Hancock Notch 2.4
Hubbard Br 2.2
Jewell 3.7
Lincoln Br (from OH) 3.5
Lincoln Br (to OH) 3.4
Little East Pond Trail 1.7
Mt. Tecumseh - from Tripoli 3.1
North Twin 4.3
Old Skidder Trail 1.8
Peaked Hill Pond 2.3
Smarts Brook 5.0
Stinson Mt 2.0
Tri-Town 1.1
Yellow Jacket 1.2
Zealand 2.3

If you have an interest in adopting any one of these trails please contact me at [email protected]

AMC also needs some adopters specifically for the Northern Mahoosucs: Mahoosuc Trail from Mt. Success summit to Carlo Col Trail; Mahoosuc from Full Goose Shelter to Notch Trail; Notch Trail to May Cutoff; and Speck Pond Trail...check out the AMC website for other trails needing adopters...if anyone is interested in the above Mahoosuc region trails, please contact me on via private message here or [email protected] e mail...thanks really need some help!!

Ahh, should have guessed that North Twin was orphaned based on my last couple of trips out there.... I encourage you to post this list on the various FB groups too, they get a good deal more distribution.

I highly encourage everyone to consider adopting a trail. It is one of the things I enjoy the most in the mountains. 2-3 days per year is the norm if you do adopt a trail.

If you've been thinking about it, take a read over of this webpage I made which provides an overview of trail adopting in the Whites. Steve Smith actually helped me write a portion of it.
http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/trailmaintenance.php

I highly encourage everyone to consider adopting a trail. It is one of the things I enjoy the most in the mountains. 2-3 days per year is the norm if you do adopt a trail.

If you've been thinking about it, take a read over of this webpage I made which provides an overview of trail adopting in the Whites. Steve Smith actually helped me write a portion of it.
http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/trailmaintenance.php

Great overview and useful information as to what adopting a trail is all about. I've been adopting and performing trail maintenance for about 25 years now and enjoy it very much. Currently maintaining the entire length of the Mt. Osceola Trail from Tripoli Road to the Greeley Ponds Trail.

Great overview and useful information as to what adopting a trail is all about. I've been adopting and performing trail maintenance for about 25 years now and enjoy it very much. Currently maintaining the entire length of the Mt. Osceola Trail from Tripoli Road to the Greeley Ponds Trail.

That's quite a long stretch of trail! How many people help you and how many times per year? Can't be easy...

That's quite a long stretch of trail! How many people help you and how many times per year? Can't be easy...

I'm able to get about 10 friends in early June soon after Tripoli Road opens up. We split up into two groups starting from each end with more people going up the Tripoli Road end. We brush back the entire ridge between both peaks every other year and on the off year focus on something that merits our attention. I live nearby and offer everyone lodging/camping at my house for the entire weekend. I provide breakfast each morning and a "hungry hiker" BBQ afterwards. I make it a fun weekend and get a lot of friends returning each year.

I cannot emphasize how much fun and rewarding this is. It gives hiking a new meaning afterwards. Since I hike almost every weekend, I like the change of pace as well.

And by the way, once you've volunteered 16 hours, the WMNF will provide you a free parking pass! The WMNF also has some tool caches for you to use so don't think you have to buy trail maintenance tools to adopt a trail. They also provide some free training that I found is a nice means to meet others who are adopting a trail and learn some tips. In the fall, the Forest Service puts together a potluck dinner for all adopters to meet each other and get updates as to what is going on. They also will display your name on the trail head kiosks that you've adopted a particular trail although they did seem to miss doing that last year...hopefully they will do that again this year.

Thanks to all those who volunteered to adopt a trail on the initial post. The updated list of orphaned trails is below. Let me know if interested. Thanks.
Jewell above Jewell Spur Junction 2.7
Hancock Notch 2.4
Hubbard Br 2.2
Lincoln Br (from OH) 3.4
Lincoln Br (to OH) 3.4
Old Skidder Tr. 1.8
Peaked Hill Pond 2.3
Yellow Jacket 1.2