Lost Pond Peak (ADK)..... A question?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavs00

Reaction score
Several of us (VFTTers) are planning an upcoming trip up Lost Pond Peak (ADK). I know several of you have been up this peak and we're obviously hoping for some detailed info if possible. We are planning on heading up the natural drainage between LPP and Street but we know other routes exsist and are interested in ANY details you can provide..

Any help would be appreciated and feel free to post the info here, but we certainly understand (and do not mind) that you might prefer to provide those details privately in a PM or e-mail. Please feel free contact me (us) either way, if you desire.

Additionaly, if you are interested in joining this low-impact, small, carefree (late April) outing, feel free to PM me (us) with that too info as well.

As always, Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:
I have my eye on LPP as well.

I've been thinking about getting there FROM Street.

An overnight through hike to Upper works could include Street, Nye, LPP, Wallface and Macnaughton (all top 100's) with legal campfires near the ridge.

Mike

That through hike would be a lot to do with overnight packs, especially with April residual snow in the woods. It's do-able, but I think it would be a lot of work.

I've always been interested in LPP, but never been there. It might be interesting to approach or retreat from LPP via the long brook that flows out towards Duck Hole. Again, that would be a lot to do, but you wouldn't run into many people over that way! I might check that out in "secret season" (mid May, after the snow is gone, but before the leaves and the bugs come out).

The route you propose is a nice one. The actual stream is beautiful but has steep walls on either side for some significant stretches. Nice waterfalls in the summer but probably more trouble when there is ice. I have heard that the south side of the stream is more open but we went up on the north side, more toward street. On the descent we followed the stream. Bob Marshall and Herb Clark went up this route in the 1920's and Bob wrote about it in an article in ADK's High Spots. His thesis was that experiences such as this hike are a reason to protect wilderness. If you proceed all the way up almost to the col the trip over to the peak of Lost Pond is not too bad a bushwhack. The view back toward the McIntyre range is pretty spectacular.

I went up to Lost Pond but not the peak a few years back from the roaring brook approach. The stream approach was not too bad but it's long, we did it as backpack and we were casual about it. The brook approach during the melt will be much harder than the fall conditions we saw.

The woods on the south side of the Lost pond were thick and as we descended to the Scott ponds it got thicker. We ran into a cliff band that was navigated around on the way down but we worried about the possibilty of not noticing it in the thickness.

The route we took:

I climbed it from the Loj. Walked the trail to the stream descending eastwards from the Street/LPP col. Followed the stream up and then left the stream and climbed the NNE slope of the peak. It was very nice mossy forest. Though there was some navigating - ie staying out of the actual stream drainage to avoid blowdown.

Did this last July from Indian Pass and the LPP-Street Col Brook. Down low South of the brook is pretty messy. You may want to try the north side, but stay weel clear of the brook there are nasty cliffs and the nearby forest is full of natural post-holes. Some crevasses too (no kidding). From about half way up it becomes an easy bushwack. The south side of the brook has an emerging herd path. From the col to the peak is easy going as well. We emerged just west of the actual peak in a summit col north of the pond. Only the last 50 yards or so at the summit are protected by cripple brush. You might want to try contouring the summit and finishing from the east.
We came down from the summit heading north-east with the idea of intersecting the brook instead of going back to the two cols. This was a bad idea. Lots of blowdown on this heading. Best to go back due West to the summit col and the North towards Street to the Street-LPP col.
It was raining most of the day so they are not great, but here are some photos from our trip anyway:
LPP trip photos