Last Chance for Vermont 3000 footer

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dharma Bum

Reaction score
Time may be running out to hike Vermont's 70th highest peak - known as Fairington Cemetery Peak on peakbagger.com and 3120 on Listofjohn. This week I happened to be in Bennington for business and was lucky enough to squeeze in a hike to this peak which will become the Searsburg/Readsboro Wind Energy Project later this year. There are already 6 or so wind turbines on the Searsburg end of the ridge and final approvals are near for the extension to the south which includes 3120. I parked across the road from the cemetery on Route 8 (not sure this may be called the Sleepy Hollow cemetery), walked through the back of the cemetery onto the service road for the existing wind turbines. There is a GMP sign that says access is prohibited which I chose to ignore. I used the road for bit and then ascended in a southeasterly direction to the south side of the ridge. There's a rough utility road along the southern ridge that is probably the path for the new turbines which incidentally is being built on Green Mountain National Forest land. It's an easy bushwhack of about 3 miles round trip. Get it while you can!