Icy trail conditions - a question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of hiking either the Mt Garfield Trail or the Edmunds Path this week, possibly Wednesday which right now looks like it's going to be a nice day. Has anyone been on either of these trails recently? I was wondering how bad the ice flows on them are right now. Since both trails aren't too steep, and with all the switchbacks in the Mt Garfield Trail, I was hoping to avoid the worst of the ice I've been hearing about online. Thanks for any information.

Old Bridle Path and Falling Waters both had some serious water ice bulges. I think any stretch of shaded and steep has the potential to be challenging right now. The Franconia Ridge Loop yesterday (up FWT, down OBP) had me put on/take off spikes numerous times. In the afternoon, the ice will be softer. In the early morning, you might even want full crampons.

Tim

I did Eisenhower via Pierce on Saturday and with the exception of a few ice bulges on Crawford path, Kahtoolas were okay. There were a few spots where I had no issues with Hillsounds but the kahtoola folks had to think a bit. I would question Edmonds path as although it doesn't get a lot of use its westerly orientation and fairly dense cover might be great spot for ice flows to form.

That upper section on Edmands where it crosses that ledgy stream bed and then climbs steeply up the far bank must be super interesting right now.

My thoughts exactly, the trail acts as stream bed year round in spots with water bars to redirect the flow but I expect right now its river of ice

In that case, Edmunds doesn't sound very promising. Maybe the Mount Garfield Trail is better. I don't like to wear my crampons because my mountaineering boots don't fit well and I get blisters every time I use them. I did get Hillsound trail crampons recently to replace my microspikes, but the description (and some pictures I've seen) of some of those long ice flows looks ominous. I also hike with my dog and she's never been on icy trails yet.

In that case, Edmunds doesn't sound very promising. Maybe the Mount Garfield Trail is better. I don't like to wear my crampons because my mountaineering boots don't fit well and I get blisters every time I use them. I did get Hillsound trail crampons recently to replace my microspikes, but the description (and some pictures I've seen) of some of those long ice flows looks ominous. I also hike with my dog and she's never been on icy trails yet.

Sounds like you need new boots for sure. The ice out there can be very dangerous to dog that are not good on ice. They can splay their legs and do some serious tendon and muscle damage. My dog is an ace on ice, but yesterday he did slide on a large flow, thank God, I had him leashed and was able to arrest his slide. Garfield might be ok, I'm hesitant to say without knowing.

Just read a blog on FB-The 4000 footer club-climbing and hiking in New Hampshire, in regards to Garfield. Showed and stated much of the ice that graces the many trails up North, hope this helps.