Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Using A Website To Post My Pictures

  1. #1
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    3,100

    Using A Website To Post My Pictures

    Kind of off topic for this forum but I know there are a lot of "techies" on here as well as many people that have websites for their hiking photos so I figured I'd ask here. I'm closing my Facebook account and really one of the only reasons I still had it was to post and share photos and videos of my hikes. I dabbled with a few photo hosting sites but really don't like the way they work and/or are organized. So I'm thinking an actual website where I can create some structure and post large quantities of pictures and videos will make the most sense. A basic sort of thing where each hike is a "story" and there is some sort of link system to look at older hikes, maybe search keywords like a peak name, etc. I look at my old hike photos often so being able to research my hike history would be nice without navigating through photos on my PC.

    So any suggestions? I'm am definitely NOT tech savvy. I do have some basic experience with Wordpress from the website I built for where I work. So I started there but whatever I downloaded for that is way different from what I use to administer my work website (we have a separate company that is the web domain host for that so not sure if that is why or not). Obviously I'm looking for a reasonable cost structure and a lot of storage. Some Google searches on the topic really haven't been very helpful. Blog sites fir the bill but storage cost seems very high, at least the ones I've looked at. As a reference, my 2020 hiking photo folder has about 26 GB of files in it. I've been hiking for about 8 years. You get the point....

    So if anyone out there has a provider and/or set up they like I'd be curious to get some details on it. Thanks in advance.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tom Rankin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bloomville, New York
    Posts
    6,733
    If you already have Prime, Amazon Photos is free, and you can share them.

    Google has something for photos as well, but you'd have to pay for it, given your volume.

    You could just delete all your friends/groups/etc. and use facebook strictly for photos.
    Tom Rankin
    Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views and Brews

  3. #3
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    If you already have Prime, Amazon Photos is free, and you can share them.

    Google has something for photos as well, but you'd have to pay for it, given your volume.

    You could just delete all your friends/groups/etc. and use facebook strictly for photos.
    I didn't realize Amazon Prime did that. Have to check into it. I gave thought to "gutting" my Facebook account, creating a group just for my photos, etc but part of the reason I'm getting off is philosophical, i.e. if I have an account on Facebook I am an accomplice to some degree in the shenanigans there, support their advertising revenue, etc. It's hard to argue with the magnitude of the free storage they provide you though.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

  4. #4
    Senior Member Tom Rankin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bloomville, New York
    Posts
    6,733
    Pretty much any service you use will have ads, and followers, and people trying to leverage that platform.
    Tom Rankin
    Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views and Brews

  5. #5
    Moderator bikehikeskifish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,947
    If you aren't paying for it, you are not the customer.

    Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mike P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Colchester, CT
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    If you aren't paying for it, you are not the customer.

    Tim
    In fact, you and anything you post may be the product. (Is this how Soylent Green started?)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    625
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Kind of off topic for this forum but I know there are a lot of "techies" on here as well as many people that have websites for their hiking photos so I figured I'd ask here. I'm closing my Facebook account and really one of the only reasons I still had it was to post and share photos and videos of my hikes. I dabbled with a few photo hosting sites but really don't like the way they work and/or are organized. So I'm thinking an actual website where I can create some structure and post large quantities of pictures and videos will make the most sense. A basic sort of thing where each hike is a "story" and there is some sort of link system to look at older hikes, maybe search keywords like a peak name, etc. I look at my old hike photos often so being able to research my hike history would be nice without navigating through photos on my PC.

    So any suggestions? I'm am definitely NOT tech savvy. I do have some basic experience with Wordpress from the website I built for where I work. So I started there but whatever I downloaded for that is way different from what I use to administer my work website (we have a separate company that is the web domain host for that so not sure if that is why or not). Obviously I'm looking for a reasonable cost structure and a lot of storage. Some Google searches on the topic really haven't been very helpful. Blog sites fir the bill but storage cost seems very high, at least the ones I've looked at. As a reference, my 2020 hiking photo folder has about 26 GB of files in it. I've been hiking for about 8 years. You get the point....

    So if anyone out there has a provider and/or set up they like I'd be curious to get some details on it. Thanks in advance.
    Smugmug. Seven bucks per month. Easy to use and customize. No pop ups or banner ads. No BS. Great customer service, although it's rarely been needed.
    Amazed that anyone still does facebook or twitter.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Trip pictures

  8. #8
    Senior Member kerry13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Otter River, Mass Avatar: Leisurely winter hike on Monadnock's Red Spot Trail
    Posts
    338
    I have to agree with Billy. I have been using Smugmug for 6 or 7 years now and I am very satisfied. There are several levels available with varying price ranges. I have the basic, as I am not a professional photographerand not looking to sell. On a yearly basis I pay about $50 per year. They advertise unlimited storage of videos and photos. I currently have over 150GB of photos and videos on their site and they have never questioned it. One of my friends must have well over 200GB. Very easy to use. I'm not real tech savy either so if I can set it up and use it anyone should be able to. Does all I need. Plenty of security, fast loading and viewing, lots of options. If you're interested in viewing my site drop me a PM and I'll forward the address.
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow a mystery,
    Today is a gift, enjoy it!

    Kerry

  9. #9
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    3,100
    Thanks Billy and Kerry13. I'll check it out. Would you say this is comparable to Flickr in terms of set up and use. In the Spring I almost pulled the trigger on Facebook and set up a Flickr account but I wasn't crazy about the format, ease of use, etc.
    Last edited by DayTrip; 11-12-2020 at 05:37 AM.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

  10. #10
    Senior Member maineguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by kerry13 View Post
    I have to agree with Billy. I have been using Smugmug for 6 or 7 years now and I am very satisfied. There are several levels available with varying price ranges. I have the basic, as I am not a professional photographerand not looking to sell. On a yearly basis I pay about $50 per year. They advertise unlimited storage of videos and photos. I currently have over 150GB of photos and videos on their site and they have never questioned it. One of my friends must have well over 200GB. Very easy to use. I'm not real tech savy either so if I can set it up and use it anyone should be able to. Does all I need. Plenty of security, fast loading and viewing, lots of options. If you're interested in viewing my site drop me a PM and I'll forward the address.
    What he said. I've been using site for about 10 or so years and no complaints.

    www.rugged-rob.smugmug.com
    Last edited by maineguy; 11-12-2020 at 06:55 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    545
    Flickr changed the rules so now I can't even access my photos there (started out years ago on a no-longer-valid email address, etc.). They may change the rules again.

    I thought Google just announced they were going to start charging for photo storage.

  12. #12
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Eagan View Post
    Flickr changed the rules so now I can't even access my photos there (started out years ago on a no-longer-valid email address, etc.). They may change the rules again.

    I thought Google just announced they were going to start charging for photo storage.
    Awhile back when I was contemplating this change I set up a Flickr account but I didn't care for the interface. It was free at least. I set up a 14-day trial account on SmugMug and really like it. Unlimited photo and video storage and I found their interface very easy to use. Probably going to go that route. Not that I take sale worthy photos but I do like that people browsing the site have a variety of purchase options for your pics so on the off chance somebody buys one of your photos it at least offsets some of the annual subscription fee. And if I want a print, framed piece, etc for myself it is a quick and easy way to get done having it all right there in one spot. I didn't do a price comparison to other sites but their rates seemed reasonable.

    As always, this forum delivered "the goods". Thanks to all for the info.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •