Take Me To GPS School

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your help, Capt, DougPaul, and IamKrzys! Your suggestions make a lot of sense to me.

I am going to get together with jniehof, (who lives nearby, and who I know from trail maintenance), and we are going to see what we can do to get it sorted out.

When we figure out what's going on, we'll know more and I'll share it here.

Thanks!

Update!

jniehof and I tinkered around with my GPS. The unit could read his SD card(s) without issue. His unit could not read my SD card. So, the problem is with the card.

Upon further examination, we noticed that a tiny chunk of plastic is missing from the edge of my card. This must have happened in the traumatic mishap.

I'm going to call Garmin next week and see if they will replace the SD.

Thanks everyone, especially jniehof!

Be sure you fully and properly digitally eject a GPS card, or the GPS itself if it is directly connected to your computer. I have had major problems with a Garmin 60 when I did not do that properly. It took me a while to discover the cause of the problems I was having.

Update to the update:

And my GPS and maps are working perfectly again.

I called Garmin on Monday and described what jniehof and I discovered. They conveniently replaced the SD card for a nominal fee.

I have carefully installed the new card and enabled my new map. I can see the trails again!

Thanks, everyone for your help.

Oddly enough, it was so weird hiking without a GPS last weekend. I arrived at the junction of Slippery Brook Trail and Baldface Knob Trail and exclaimed, "Wow! I'm here already?!!"

If I had my GPS with me, I would have checked it a few times on my way up, cursing because of how far away I STILL was from the intersection. :rolleyes:

Update to the update:

And my GPS and maps are working perfectly again.

I called Garmin on Monday and described what jniehof and I discovered. They conveniently replaced the SD card for a nominal fee.

I have carefully installed the new card and enabled my new map. I can see the trails again!

Thanks, everyone for your help.

Oddly enough, it was so weird hiking without a GPS last weekend. I arrived at the junction of Slippery Brook Trail and Baldface Knob Trail and exclaimed, "Wow! I'm here already?!!"

If I had my GPS with me, I would have checked it a few times on my way up, cursing because of how far away I STILL was from the intersection. :rolleyes:

Here are a couple ways I have used my GPS.

To verify my conclusions from map and compass work.

To determine the identity of peaks way off on the horizon.

To mark waypoints on my hikes when I see something useful...a source of water..water that has beaver activity....a good place for a tent site.. most definetly anywhere the trail in the gps map deviates from the actual trail....rattlesnake sightings...good places to land when kayaking near hiking trails , raspberries and blueberries

To create tracks with 3 season hiking and use these tracks for winter hiking.

To find bushwhacks to save distance.

To determine whether to press on or return.

To translate steps to distance.

To record temperatures in unsually cold conditions.

Last edited: