Lafayette Bridal Path both ways 3/30/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctsparrow

Reaction score
Beautiful sunny blue sky day. One inch of new at bottom to 3 inches up high, drifts up to 10/12 inches hut to summit, from previous day small snow and blowing winds. Huge meltdown from sun and warm temps by the time we exited, 330pm. Still advantageous to have atleast something for traction for sheltered rock steps and protected caches of snow/ice. Above hut crampons very helpful, literally three or four 'rolling bumps' of ice down low and areas where toes with front points very helpful for speed and sureness. Know that there were a couple in sneakers who were descending as we were still going up, and yes they were sliding their way down, somehow they summit-ed and returned with NO traction gear, so it is ?doable? Personally I prefer to not worry constantly about slipping so my preference is for traction vs barebooting. My son used the full crampons to the top, I hung out at the hut since my Hillsounds were arriving at my house while I was in NH!, I would say that non front points would definitely be worthy to summit.

Mud coming through where it was frozen on on way up at 1000. After falling waters junction, no significant slipping until rocksteps turning away from brook, 1.2 to 1.6 region. becoming more sporatic. Ledges were very melted with onslaught of sun and warm temps. Rime ice still on signposts up top, maybe from night before.