Abraham & Ellen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SherpaTom

Reaction score
Looking to hike these two in April. Knowing the potential of mud season in VT, anyone know the conditions of the trail and/or the road to the trailhead to Lincoln Gap. If not, can you direct me to a resource. Thanks.

I posted a similar question a few weeks back about Mansfield. Same issue. I chose not to hike but from what I read, it doesn't seem as if the trails are closed. Seems more of a request to keep off. Does the state of VT officially close the trails? Or kindly ask hikers to respect the trail system and potential damage during mud season?

Does the state of VT officially close the trails? Or kindly ask hikers to respect the trail system and potential damage during mud season?

What's the difference?
Add my dad used to say, "you can if you want but don't."

What's the difference?
Add my dad used to say, "you can if you want but don't."

Officially closing trail = antithesis of merely suggesting no use. Being that I've never seen a trail closed by the state of VT, I was wondering how it worked. Is there a specific guideline that is used for a closure? Or is on your morals these decisions are made? I made my decision and I'm good with it.....but my decision may not be what another feels is best. Merica! Still free, for now anyway :D

Since I have done very little hiking in VT, that was the reason for my initial question, balancing the fact that this year may in fact be a not so muddy year in VT. I certainly don't want to if I can and I won't if the trails tell me not to. Dave, appreciate the link and I'll look into it further and to Biscut's point, besides using common sense not to ruin trails, how does VT communicate closing of trails, etc.

Does the state of VT officially close the trails? Or kindly ask hikers to respect the trail system and potential damage during mud season?

They officially close the trails in the Camels Hump and Mt Mansfield State parks. They suggest avoiding the high elevation trails in the GMNF.

Since I have done very little hiking in VT, that was the reason for my initial question, balancing the fact that this year may in fact be a not so muddy year in VT. I certainly don't want to if I can and I won't if the trails tell me not to. Dave, appreciate the link and I'll look into it further and to Biscut's point, besides using common sense not to ruin trails, how does VT communicate closing of trails, etc.

FWIW, it hasn't been a bad mud season this year in Southern Vermont. I saw an article in last Friday's Bennington Banner asking hikers to stay off muddy trails and hike at lower elevations. I've been hiking in the Berkshires lately and there are some muddy spots.

I was on A&E last weekend. Frozen spine, lots of ice on trail. Not much snow off trail. The lower elevations weren't very muddy at all. The road in and out was the muddiest part of the day. The Lincoln Gap is closed until Memorial Day, according to the town's website.

If you do with two cars, I recommend going up Ellen first and coming down from Abe. Abe has great views and the descent is shorter.

I've been hiking Vermont peaks (both trail and bushwhack) all fall, winter and now early spring. My thinking about observing the request to stay off the trails until Memorial Day has evolved from ignoring it to observing it. The more I hike the more I am aware of the impact that I have on the mountain environment. I am also increasingly concerned about our collective impact - especially when I hike in the Whites. Are we loving the mountains to death?

I hiked Burke Mountain - a wonderful 3000 footer two weeks ago and before the period in question. Sure the trail was dry in spots but muddy in others. There was plenty of snow and ice above 2500 feet.There was a lot of slipping and sliding and tearing up of the fabric of the trail ( I used spikes for part of the hike). I realized that hiking then was increasing my impact and trail erosion. AFter that hike I resolved to do only bushwhacks until Memorial Day. Abe and Ellen and their associated trails get a lot of use. I think it is especially important on these popular trails to try to stay off until they are a bit drier.