I had a feeling hiking was good for me...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other hand, my life insurance company thinks it adds $20/month worth of risk because "I climb to elevation" and "I might fall off rocks".

Do they have a threshold for 'elevation'? I mean, I live at 'elevation', but that elevation is around 100'. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, my life insurance company thinks it adds $20/month worth of risk because "I climb to elevation" and "I might fall off rocks".

Tim

By "climb", do they mean technical climbing? Hiking is healthy and could lead to longevity so I'd think they'd like to have more og your money longer and would not charge a premium. I wouldn't think elevation had anything to do with it.

Tim
Really??? Mine doesn't and I hike pretty much what you hike. I would think you'd be more at risk zooming along on your bike.

I told them it's all class I and II day hiking. They still think it adds risk, obviously :rolleyes: I pointed out (to no avail) that I rarely achieve the elevation of the city of Denver. And, oddly enough, bicycle racing or riding in traffic doesn't seem to bother them at all.

Tim

Last edited:
I told them it's all class I and II day hiking. They still think it adds risk, obviously :rolleyes: I pointed out (to no avail) that I rarely achieve the elevation of the city of Denver. And, oddly enough, bicycle racing or riding in traffic doesn't seem to bother them at all.

Tim
That's messed up. While on my bike I have been run over by USPS Mail Carriers (well, he didn't run me over, rather took a right turn immediately into my front tire. He "didn't see me." We were both travelling in the same direction, broad daylight, I was on the side of the road...whatever), had car doors opened on me, had people cut me off, things thrown from cars at me, etc. I'm sure you've had the same. Hiking seems so tame in comparison.

Yep. Biking (road biking anyway) is definitely a contact sport.

Funny how they do that... I would think actuarially that non-technical hiking would actually decrease your chances of dying over a long term, through mental and physical health benefits.
My life insurance guy said that as long as I did not do technical climbing (eg need ropes) when I applied for the policy, it would not increase... moreover if I took it up AFTER the policy was in force, it would not be a problem. :) Not that I have, I really don't like exposure much.

And I climb every day from 5650 to 5660 feet, when I go upstairs to bed. Of course, if I have a heart attack while sleeping, that would be death after climbing to elevation... ???

Fresh mountain air and a bit of exercise. Who'd a thunk it?! I've personally noticed that after a good sized hike, my performance at work for the following days is much higher. Even after some monster drive both ways and 12-15 miles. I can be exhausted but perform better for whatever reason.