No laughing: stroller friendly hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyPaws

Reaction score
Any suggestions for short hikes that would be feasible with a jogging stroller? For example, Sabbaday Falls and Liverpool Rd are smooth enough. Just wondering if there were more areas in or around the whites that are essentially handicap accessable.

Not handicapped myself, just have a two year old who sometimes won't walk, a somewhat gimpy dog, and am seven months pregnant. Nonetheless, I want to get out there!!

Thanks,
Amy

I'm not sure if any of the forest service roads are open yet, but that sounds like something you could do. I believe the 10th mountain Division trail is mostly paved. In Bethel ME there's a trail that's paved that runs along the Androscoggin River. Tripoli Rd? Something like that?

A few years ago I saw a couple with a small child in a runner's style stroller, and they were 90% of the way to Zealand hut. Not sure about the last 10% though! :rolleyes:

Lincoln woods
Presidential Range Rail Trail
Probably a good bit of 19-Mile Brook to Carter Hut (watch the edge)
Stony Brook Trail on Moriah, the first 1.7 easy miles to the shelter would be manageable.
Franconia Range Bike Path
Any trail around Echo Lake

I had to re-read that - Sabbaday Falls, not Sabbaday Brook. Makes sense! Other trails that are pretty easy going are:

The Discovery Loop
Lovequist Loop
Mud Pond
Greeley Ponds Trail (from Livermore Road)

Good luck!

That first half mile or so of Zealand Trail is pretty rough/rocky/muddy. The people you saw must have been quite determined!

I would think any rail trail or bike trail could help provide your needed sustenance.

Alternatively, would your 2-year old fit in a carrier? Before our son walked we'd take him on the trail in a carrier. It must have imprinted because he enjoys hiking to this day ... some 40 years later. In your case the load on your back might not be feasible, but if it were you'd have a terrific hand-me-down for that hiker in waiting.

Thanks for the ideas! Now what happened to that sunny Tuesday that was forcast last week?

I do have a carrier for the kid, and we've had many adventures together out hiking. The part she likes best is the awesome snacks she gets when we get to where we're going. That, and pinecones. Unfortunately, she's at the stage where she wants to get down and walk every two minutes or so, and then won't walk, or walks the wrong way, all of which make the whole experience ... unenjoyable. That, and I'm not up to carrying her around at this point. But she loves the stroller!

I hesitate to answer, because I've recommended easy hikes only later to say, "Oh, yeah, I forgot about that part", but I think the trails around the Basin in Franconia Notch might be good. Plus the Basin's cool.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 33/115 (25/67, 8/46, 0/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 39/48; NEHH 81/100
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Most of the trail network at Great Glen Trails ( base of Mt Washington) would qualify easily, and access/parking couldn't be any simpler. No cost to walk/hike, dogs welcome . Should you wish to bike, rentals with child trailers are there as well and the fees are not unreasonable. The trail network does get out into the woods, there is a cabin on the trail network ( Great Angel Station), you get close to the beaver bog and the heron rookery, literally thousands of ladyslippers lining part of the woods route in early June.

Outside of scheduled events, GGT really is quiet and there are many days when you'd be lucky to see 2 or 3 other people out there.

http://greatglentrails.com/summer/outdoor-center-2/biking/

Lincoln Woods was mentioned but the East Side trail was not ( I don't think so). It's basically a road and you don't have "bump" over the railroad ties that follow the LWT. Your close to the river and it can be much quieter then LW.

Wachusett Mountain
http://www.hikenewengland.com/images/WachusettMA090518-Map.gif

No summit but the Livermore trail on the Waterville valley side approach to Tripyramid is basically a road with no traffic on it up to where the Tripyramid loop begins, you could turn around there. Nice brook walk. 5-6 miles RT ? It would "get you out there". (I do not know what Liverpool road is, but close enough to Livermore maybe this is what you meant ?).

Last edited:
Anyone comment on if the Old Jackson Road works? Also the trail to Diana's Bath, it is pretty short but water is always alluring..