Black Flies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
"skin-so-soft" lotion works better than anything to keep black flies away. Not good for mosquitos or ticks though.

Testing consistently shows DEET to work better than anything else. Many other options work "OK" for those who don't prefer DEET.

Been using this for years with great results. As long as I don't miss a spot, I don't get a single bite. But, some people I've recommended this to say they still swarm all around me. I know of nothing that will stop that. As long as they don't bite, I'm good.

SP718bf.jpg

Been using this for years with great results. As long as I don't miss a spot, I don't get a single bite. But, some people I've recommended this to say they still swarm all around me. I know of nothing that will stop that. As long as they don't bite, I'm good.

SP718bf.jpg

How would you say this compares with Bens - better or worse? I've been using Bens 100 since I was a kid but I'm always open to finding something better.

Last edited:

Sawyer Broad Spectrum is great.

Here is a similar product to Sawyer Broad Spectrum called Rainbow Jungle Formula. It has the same key ingredients, but is a bit heavier duty and comes in an aerosol. This product is mostly sold to the utilities industry for their field workers. It is the best stuff I have ever used for black flies and it works just fine on skeeters: https://rainbowtechstore.com/products/jungle-formula-insect-repellent

NOTE: there is also a towelette version, but that does not appear to have the black fly repellent ingredient (R-326), so would not be as effective.

Marty

How would you say this compares with Bens - better or worse? I've been using Bens 100 since I was a kid but I'm always open to finding something better.

I prefer it to Bens. If nothing else, the bottle and pump are easier to hold and use. But 100% Deet (or 98.11 %), which they both are, shouldn't be any difference.

Last edited:
"Skin-So-Soft" works best for me against black flies, but I use "Bens" for everything else.

I would recommend that you try 3M Ultrathon-- its more like a cream and is very resistant to sweat.

I did the following experiment on top of Bear Mountain in Connecticut. It was a humid day, and I was sweating profusely. I sat on the pile of rocks and was swarmed by black flies. I applied the maxi-deet (a liquid like water) to my face, back of the neck, and arms. No fly landed on me for about 29 minutes. After this time, they quickly became irritating. The presumption is that the deet was carried away by my sweat.

If you are averse to applying chemicals, you could also try a head net. The lone biting flies that follow you for miles can still be annoying with the ultrathon, although they wont land. Head nets keep them from getting as close as they normally would. On one hike in soaking humidity in Pharoah Wilderness, my head net was the envy of many hikers.

SP718bf.jpg

Where is that sold?

I personally have found nothing better for long term protection than this product http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Ultrathon/Products/

Its a lower concentration of DEET but its time released so it last longer. Not all store stock it. It doesn't screw up plastic gear like 100%.

The biggest problem with many DEET products is that folks over apply it significantly. "A little dab will do yah"