RIP Jack Tarlin - Baltimore Jack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
So sad!

Jack was a peach. I met him on my big hike (in 1995) from Springer to Damascus during my second trimester of pregnancy (hah hah, not a real thru-hike attempt). He was so funny and so full of information. I have a picture of him in my photo album. He's lounging on a tarp with some of the folks in our trail family. What a character. Gosh, I think he was only a few years older than me. Gone too soon. He's a real trail angel now :(

That is a shock.

The man had a heart of gold to go along with his acid tongue.

I spent a day of great conversation with him once on my thru-hike in a basement kitchen of a frat house at Dartmouth making lasagnas for a bunch of thruhikers.

His spirit will remain on the AT for a long time. A truly unique individual. Rest in peace, Jack.

For those AT folks who missed it

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/118590-Baltimore-Jack-Passes-Away/page3

Per the thread there are no details. Jack hiked the entire AT numerous times and hiked large parts of it even more often. In more recent years, he would follow the thruhker bubble especially down south helping out at various popular trail stops. When not hiking he lived in Hanover NH.

PB - Thanks for posting this BTW. That thread at White Blaze has become one hell of a memorial to BJ. I've been following it, although I rarely check the site anymore. Laurie Potteiger (sp?), a long time ATC employee at Harper's Ferry and well known among the AT community wrote a beautiful post about him. The AT honestly will not be the same without him. He was such a staunch defender of the trail.