Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Active -2016

Moose Active -2016

I saw my first muddy foot prints crossing my road immediately adjacent to RT2 this morning. There are a couple of wet areas they hang out in. If they are crossing my road they most likely are crossing RT 2.

On a sadder note, a hiker on my hike cam across the Kanc this morning stopped to take a photo of yearling, she showed me a photo of the moose and it looked to be "ghost moose" that had rubbed off a lot furs to the guard hairs were showing. The moose didnt seem to respond to any traffic. Generally when they are in the condition they are infested with ticks and is near death. I expect the moose are going to take it hard after the mild winter

The most moose scat I've ever seen in my entire life was yesterday from just past the summit of Mt. Meader extending to about a mile/mile and a half west on the Meader Ridge Trail. It was absolutely ridiculous, literally a new pile every few feet or so in a few sections.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by talktapes View Post
    The most moose scat I've ever seen in my entire life was yesterday from just past the summit of Mt. Meader extending to about a mile/mile and a half west on the Meader Ridge Trail. It was absolutely ridiculous, literally a new pile every few feet or so in a few sections.
    I've got a theory that moose poop freezes in the winter, then is revealed as the snow melts in spring, giving the appearance of tons of moose activity when it's actually the accumulation of months of poop from wintering on the ridge. I've noticed this phenomenon several times now (J Trail up Smarts Mtn, Mt Parker Summit, Algonquin Trail up Sandwich Dome, etc).
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

I think that's partly true, but I've seen moose tracks as well as the poop on many trails. This weekend was the first time I've actually seen the green moose poop crumbling apart like it's been soaked in water for a time. Usually it's a dark brown color.

My gf and I have noticed that it's usually found on one side of a mountain or the other, but not on both. If we hike some mountain, say Old Speck, on the RT26 side, nothing. Cross over the peak and go down the AT or GLT and moose poop galore. We noticed the same thing this weekend hiking over the Bald Pates on the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    On a sadder note, a hiker on my hike cam across the Kanc this morning stopped to take a photo of yearling, she showed me a photo of the moose and it looked to be "ghost moose" that had rubbed off a lot furs to the guard hairs were showing. The moose didnt seem to respond to any traffic. Generally when they are in the condition they are infested with ticks and is near death. I expect the moose are going to take it hard after the mild winter
    My friend & I saw a pretty grey & mangy-looking moose on the eastern slope of Teapot on Saturday, though it trotted away seemingly healthily when it caught wind of us. We couldn't tell if it was undergoing its normal spring coat changeover or if it was tick-infested.

About a month ago I was coming back from bigelow down route 16. just about at the new hampshire line at dusk a huge moose came trotting across the road. didnt expect them to be down low so soon. It was an interesting drive back because I saw about 200 deer in an hour and a half. Never saw anything like it
    why are there people like Frank??

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I've got a theory that moose poop freezes in the winter, then is revealed as the snow melts in spring, giving the appearance of tons of moose activity when it's actually the accumulation of months of poop from wintering on the ridge. I've noticed this phenomenon several times now (J Trail up Smarts Mtn, Mt Parker Summit, Algonquin Trail up Sandwich Dome, etc).
    It's not a theory -- it actually happens that way.

4 crashes in one night

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/2...north-country/

Black flies must be driving them out along the roads. I have seen consistent moose tracks on the end of my road near RT 2

Recent reports are that 75% of the collared moose calves died over the winter.

Winter tick kill? That's about what it was year before, too. That doesn't sound too promising for Moose herd.

We had what appeared to be a healthy yearling in the woods behind our house a few weeks ago.

Is it dry or loose? http://www.all-about-moose.com/moose-poop.html
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Definitely on the drier/looser side. Generally light brown. If I stepped in it I'd expect it would crumble more than stick to my boot.

Definitely on the drier/looser side. Generally light brown. If I stepped in it I'd expect it would crumble more than stick to my boot.
    Sounds like leftover Winter Moo Doo to me.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Sounds like leftover Winter Moo Doo to me.
    Are you saying I found WMDs?

Are you saying I found WMDs?
    bada bing! give that man a prize! Laugh of the day.
    Have boots will travel.