Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Moose Active -2016

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,227

    Moose Active -2016

    I saw my first muddy foot prints crossing my road immediately adjacent to RT2 this morning. There are a couple of wet areas they hang out in. If they are crossing my road they most likely are crossing RT 2.

    On a sadder note, a hiker on my hike cam across the Kanc this morning stopped to take a photo of yearling, she showed me a photo of the moose and it looked to be "ghost moose" that had rubbed off a lot furs to the guard hairs were showing. The moose didnt seem to respond to any traffic. Generally when they are in the condition they are infested with ticks and is near death. I expect the moose are going to take it hard after the mild winter

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Candia, NH
    Posts
    23
    The most moose scat I've ever seen in my entire life was yesterday from just past the summit of Mt. Meader extending to about a mile/mile and a half west on the Meader Ridge Trail. It was absolutely ridiculous, literally a new pile every few feet or so in a few sections.

  3. #3
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Posts
    2,074
    Quote Originally Posted by talktapes View Post
    The most moose scat I've ever seen in my entire life was yesterday from just past the summit of Mt. Meader extending to about a mile/mile and a half west on the Meader Ridge Trail. It was absolutely ridiculous, literally a new pile every few feet or so in a few sections.
    I've got a theory that moose poop freezes in the winter, then is revealed as the snow melts in spring, giving the appearance of tons of moose activity when it's actually the accumulation of months of poop from wintering on the ridge. I've noticed this phenomenon several times now (J Trail up Smarts Mtn, Mt Parker Summit, Algonquin Trail up Sandwich Dome, etc).
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Lewiston, and Biddeford Maine
    Posts
    671
    I think that's partly true, but I've seen moose tracks as well as the poop on many trails. This weekend was the first time I've actually seen the green moose poop crumbling apart like it's been soaked in water for a time. Usually it's a dark brown color.

    My gf and I have noticed that it's usually found on one side of a mountain or the other, but not on both. If we hike some mountain, say Old Speck, on the RT26 side, nothing. Cross over the peak and go down the AT or GLT and moose poop galore. We noticed the same thing this weekend hiking over the Bald Pates on the AT.

  5. #5
    Senior Member TEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    On a sadder note, a hiker on my hike cam across the Kanc this morning stopped to take a photo of yearling, she showed me a photo of the moose and it looked to be "ghost moose" that had rubbed off a lot furs to the guard hairs were showing. The moose didnt seem to respond to any traffic. Generally when they are in the condition they are infested with ticks and is near death. I expect the moose are going to take it hard after the mild winter
    My friend & I saw a pretty grey & mangy-looking moose on the eastern slope of Teapot on Saturday, though it trotted away seemingly healthily when it caught wind of us. We couldn't tell if it was undergoing its normal spring coat changeover or if it was tick-infested.

  6. #6
    Senior Member hikerfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Concord, NH
    Posts
    692
    About a month ago I was coming back from bigelow down route 16. just about at the new hampshire line at dusk a huge moose came trotting across the road. didnt expect them to be down low so soon. It was an interesting drive back because I saw about 200 deer in an hour and a half. Never saw anything like it
    why are there people like Frank??

  7. #7
    Senior Member Barkingcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Верхоянский хребет
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I've got a theory that moose poop freezes in the winter, then is revealed as the snow melts in spring, giving the appearance of tons of moose activity when it's actually the accumulation of months of poop from wintering on the ridge. I've noticed this phenomenon several times now (J Trail up Smarts Mtn, Mt Parker Summit, Algonquin Trail up Sandwich Dome, etc).
    It's not a theory -- it actually happens that way.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Gorham NH
    Posts
    6,227
    4 crashes in one night

    http://www.pressherald.com/2016/05/2...north-country/

    Black flies must be driving them out along the roads. I have seen consistent moose tracks on the end of my road near RT 2

    Recent reports are that 75% of the collared moose calves died over the winter.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Lewiston, and Biddeford Maine
    Posts
    671
    Winter tick kill? That's about what it was year before, too. That doesn't sound too promising for Moose herd.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MA & NH
    Posts
    263
    We had what appeared to be a healthy yearling in the woods behind our house a few weeks ago.

  11. #11
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I've got a theory that moose poop freezes in the winter, then is revealed as the snow melts in spring, giving the appearance of tons of moose activity when it's actually the accumulation of months of poop from wintering on the ridge. I've noticed this phenomenon several times now (J Trail up Smarts Mtn, Mt Parker Summit, Algonquin Trail up Sandwich Dome, etc).
    Is it dry or loose? http://www.all-about-moose.com/moose-poop.html
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  12. #12
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Posts
    2,074
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Definitely on the drier/looser side. Generally light brown. If I stepped in it I'd expect it would crumble more than stick to my boot.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  13. #13
    Senior Member skiguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Posts
    2,601
    Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    Definitely on the drier/looser side. Generally light brown. If I stepped in it I'd expect it would crumble more than stick to my boot.
    Sounds like leftover Winter Moo Doo to me.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

  14. #14
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Posts
    2,074
    Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Sounds like leftover Winter Moo Doo to me.
    Are you saying I found WMDs?
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  15. #15
    Senior Member billski's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lexington 02420
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    Are you saying I found WMDs?
    bada bing! give that man a prize! Laugh of the day.
    Have boots will travel.

Similar Threads

  1. Is their an active forum for the Catskills?
    By Remix in forum Q&A - New York
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2015, 12:01 PM
  2. Moose are getting active in North Country
    By peakbagger in forum Q&A - New England
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-24-2010, 08:50 AM
  3. Mid Winter Black Bear active in NJ
    By Chip in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 07:45 AM
  4. Alphabetical active users?
    By Jason Berard in forum Site Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 05:31 PM
  5. Active Fires Mapping Program
    By Kevin Rooney in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 12:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •