Questions about parking while camping in Baxter State Park.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to pay a road use fee unless you have Maine plates. I think is around $14. That lets you drive on the park roads for the duration of the your stay.

You cannot bring firewood into the park so if you want a fire you need to buy firewood at each campsite. I usually bring a box of obviously kiln dried un painted scrap wood for kindling, some folks bring a fire log and cut it up into pieces for the same purpose

You don't need any other permits or permissions unless you plan to be bushwhacking. If Fort( NE 100 highest) is on your agenda ask the ranger if there is need to check in before heading out. There is a day use parking fee for the katahdin trailheads, your overnight campsite covers this. If for some strange reason you want to park at the other Katahdin trailhead at Katahdin Stream, you would have to drive other there very early in the AM or make a day use pass parking permit reservation. The trails from Roaring Brook to the summit are as nice as the Hunt Trail from KSC so skip KSC for this trip and save the hassle.

You have to pay a road use fee unless you have Maine plates. I think is around $14. That lets you drive on the park roads for the duration of the your stay.

You cannot bring firewood into the park so if you want a fire you need to buy firewood at each campsite. I usually bring a box of obviously kiln dried un painted scrap wood for kindling, some folks bring a fire log and cut it up into pieces for the same purpose

You don't need any other permits or permissions unless you plan to be bushwhacking. If Fort( NE 100 highest) is on your agenda ask the ranger if there is need to check in before heading out. There is a day use parking fee for the katahdin trailheads, your overnight campsite covers this. If for some strange reason you want to park at the other Katahdin trailhead at Katahdin Stream, you would have to drive other there very early in the AM or make a day use pass parking permit reservation. The trails from Roaring Brook to the summit are as nice as the Hunt Trail from KSC so skip KSC for this trip and save the hassle.

Great thanks for the info. I'm working on my 111, no hundred highest, just the 4K footers. With good luck I will have just completed all the ones in the Carrabassett Valley area when I drive up to BSP. I never bring wood anywhere, that's frowned upon no matter we go. It's all to keep that little destructive beetle or whatever it is from spreading.

Bring cash for the entrance fee. They don't take credit cards at the gate.

this ˆ

I've summitted all the peaks, camped at the remote ponds, worked on trail construction. It's way more than the peaks. My first time there was a religious experience. What can be experienced and found in the park is incomparable to most places in the USA. Most of the covenants have nothing to do with state regulation. It was in the conditions that Percival Baxter imposed when giving these lands to the people. Have a read on the history of the area, it is very enlightening.

So another question I have is.....hmmm I guess I should have asked this while I was on the phone......because I'm paying to have a lean-to, does that cover me for any permits I would need for hiking? Is there some other permit I'm gonna need to obtain for hiking?

Just make sure you sign in and out of the log book. The counts and names are reconciled at the end of each day.