Black Flies out in force in Milan 5/7

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I hiked the 3 Loon Lake Mountain peaks in the Adirondacks yesterday. Worst bugs I have encountered in years. Giant horseflies that devoured us for 6 hours. The minute you stopped for even a second you got swarmed by 50-100 of them. It was like a biblical plague of bugs man.
I think I have to go to the Red Cross this morning to get some blood to replace everything I lost yesterday!!

Sorry to hear about the blood donation If it's deerfly or horse flies, try these two sided adhesive tape products. I've been using them for about 5 year. Last saturday I was clearing a trail surrounded by beaver bogs. The deerfly were tremendous and I didn't get bit once. You take this tape, put it on top of a hat that you don't care about. Turns out this kind of fly (ONLY this kind) always circles your head, then does a test landing on your head. The second landing it is in for the kill. But, it hits the tape and voila, one less for you and me, one less to lay eggs! I caught about 60 deerfly. The only thing is that those that get stuck to the paper with their feet will continue to buzz around on the tape, and it sounds like a million flies! And this tape is sooo cheap. go here: eBay, then search for Deerfly Patches, TredNot Deer Fly Patch Odorless repellent

Sorry to hear about the blood donation If it's deerfly or horse flies, try these two sided adhesive tape products. I've been using them for about 5 year. Last saturday I was clearing a trail surrounded by beaver bogs. The deerfly were tremendous and I didn't get bit once. You take this tape, put it on top of a hat that you don't care about. Turns out this kind of fly (ONLY this kind) always circles your head, then does a test landing on your head. The second landing it is in for the kill. But, it hits the tape and voila, one less for you and me, one less to lay eggs! I caught about 60 deerfly. The only thing is that those that get stuck to the paper with their feet will continue to buzz around on the tape, and it sounds like a million flies! And this tape is sooo cheap. go here: eBay, then search for Deerfly Patches, TredNot Deer Fly Patch Odorless repellent

Not sure if it is true but I have heard that they are attracted to movement. Such is the case when you try swatting at them they seem to get worse. In addition to the fly patches you can add a beanie propeller to create movement in order to bait them in. http://www.biconet.com/traps/deerflyPatch.html

The fly patches for sale on the web site you linked to are vastly overpriced. Go to eBay.

All I can tell you is that we didn't move like the wind. We were brushing and moving logs and trees all day. Our walking pace was glacial. That's where I caught 60 of the buggers.

I do know that placement on the cap, on the back of the head, just below the crown is essential. That may have to do with motion, I don't know.

A web search on this subject certainly does not lack a drought of "Rube Goldberg" contraptions.:rolleyes::D

In May I camped in Wilson's Mills, Maine, and encountered black flies like I've never seen in my life. I slathered myself in Deet and it barely made an impression on them. It was impossible to spend any time outdoors. They did disappear at sunset. Returning to my site I would have to sprint from car to tent and even then they mobbed me. I fled the site at 5:00 a.m. on the last day and they were out even at that hour. My error may have been that I chose a scenic site on the Megalloway River. Kayaking at Aziscohos I didnt encounter any. Lesson learned!