Like finding USGS Benchmarks? Like hiking patches? Get on in here!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkmatter

Reaction score
Figured some people here might be interested in a new hiking "challenge" I have set up which is centered around locating USGS benchmarks in the wild.

The main goal behjnd this was to set something up that can

A: can be completed anywhere you happen to be.

And

B: is complicated enough to be interesting but easy enough to appeal to a broad range of people.

Plus I think most people enjoy a shiney new patch for something they are probably already doing as part of their regular adventure activities.

You can check out all of the specifics here:

https://operationalaska30.com/operation-alaska-benchmark-challenge/

I would also love any feedback you guys may have!

Last edited:

If you look at this page you can see that only 399 benchmarks were logged by 173 people over last 7 days. This is nowhere close to the popularity of geocaching. I usually take pictures of USGS markers if I see them but I don't use them to plan my hikes (I do use geocaching for hike planning as I reason that most of the time if there are geocaches somewhere then there are trails not too far from them and I use that to discover new places.) Another thing about benchmarks is that sometimes they are on private property or one needs to cross private property to get to them while I do my best to stay on public lands when hiking.

well my idea was not that people would go out of their way to find them but just as a way to record and recognize the ones you already find along the way. Since most people in my experience like to take pictures of them anyway it would be easy enough to record them. There are also so many of them all over the place that there wouldnt be any real need to tresspass on private land to find them. In the end its just a casual pirsuit that may appeal to some I think.

I used to post here a lot but over the last few years I have wandered off to some other pursuits (like this). Anyway in the 2006 - 2010 time frame I hunted many New England peaks and found many markers set in the 19th century.

There a number of lengthy post I contributed. To see them, go to the search box at the top of the forum page. Click on "Advanced Search" under the box.

In the form that comes up, click on "All Types" at the top.

for Keywords put in "Benchmark" and "Search Entire Posts" in the drop down.
For author put in "Papa Bear"

You'll get about 20 threads.

No, I'll stay away from this new contest. Been there, done that.

Richard

Last edited:
I used to post here a lot but over the last few years I have wandered off to some other pursuits (like this). Anyway in the 2006 - 2010 time frame I hunted many New England peaks and found many markers set in the 19th century.

There a number of lengthy post I contributed. To see them, go to the search box at the top of the forum page. Click on "Advanced Search" under the box.

In the form that comes up, click on "All Types" at the top.

for Keywords put in "Benchmark" and "Search Entire Posts" in the drop down.
For author put in "Papa Bear"

You'll get about 20 threads.

No, I'll stay away from this new contest. Been there, done that.

Richard

I love finding old markers! I have found some old ones myself and its always fun. Thanks for sharing Richard. Maybe you should consider finding a few more ;)