Expelled from Baxter State Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanbu

Reaction score
The summer of '75 found me in Maine, peakbagging the Hundred Highest.

My physical condition was excellent. During a 19-day period I climbed 21 peaks. The first part of the trip, a friend and I climbed together. We managed well without a car, hitchhiking and backpacking from area to area. By a remarkable coincidence, we hitched a ride with the caretaker of a private camp, who opened a locked gate and drove us to the foot of Snow Mountain. This gave us easy access to Boundary Peak.

My friend returned home, and the last part of the trip I spent alone in Baxter State Park. Only one ascent was with another hiker, on Mount Coe, where the summit forest sparkled delightfully, covered in rime ice. Otherwise I was on my own. I recall a wonderful, sunny day on Katahdin climbing the knife edge.

I signed out for a multi-day backpack to finish my summit list. Somewhere I read a park regulation prohibiting solo bushwhacking. I figured the park authorities would read my itinerary, notice I was bushwhacking alone, and put an end to my plans.

The time arrived to start up the mountain and not a peep from the authorities. Well then, onward! I camped at Chimney Pond. At dusk, I heard a rustling among the pines at the edge of the forest. Someone had set out food to lure animals. I was both perturbed and pleased. It is the only time I have seen pine martens in the wild. Next morning no rangers materialized to stop my trek. Upward!

The view from Katahdin’s Hamlin Peak was marvelous. Continuing north I went down the trail, dropped my pack, and descended to Klondike Pond. The terrain was strange, populated with yawning pits covered with moss and luxurious vegetation. Were there any hidden pits, like the hidden crevasses on a glacier? If I fell through it would be days before searchers came looking. I spent the night at the Davis Pond lean-to, encountering a tame deer seeking food. I gave it none, hoping others would refrain from feeding wild animals.

Fort Mountain was my next objective; the map showed an old trail on the north side. According to the 1971 edition of the AMC Maine Mountain guide, “This route is not recommended for any but the most experienced hikers and then only with permission of the Ranger at Russell Pond.” I recall following a continuous path lower down. Above it petered out, but now and again I encountered the overgrown footbed. So what! It was a sunny day and the bushwhacking enjoyable. The last section of my route went over the Brothers, North and South. At the end of the day I descended the Marston Trail to the road.

And there on the road a ranger caught up with me. “We were going to expel you from the Park,” he said. They had indeed read my itinerary, and they intended to enforce regulations. The matter was moot, as I was already on my way out of the park.

Years later I would discover the incident survived as a footnote of peakbagging lore. The AMC Four Thousand Footer Committee publishes an informal document, “Routes to New England Hundred Highest Peaks“. In that work, author Gene Daniell described Baxter as “the most tightly regulated park in the US”. With reference to Fort Mountain, he wrote that park authorities may view it as “a bushwhack for which special permission could be required.” He noted how “using the old route from Russell Pond to Fort without permission led to the expulsion from the Park of one person of my acquaintance.”

For many mountain memories I savor that summer.

And the rules? Broken by a younger, selfish self I suppose with a (minimal) inconvenience to the rangers. Later I became a ranger myself as well as wilderness guide who participated in rescues, though not in Baxter.

I still wrestle with the desire to go, to climb--and to heck with the rules. I have fantasies about secretly traversing off-limits territory, places where the presence of human beings is verboten. The Klondike in Baxter, for instance, or Mount Kailas. People have trodden the Klondike, and somebody will climb Kailas one day, but it won't be by me. Still I find myself pushing the envelope of the acceptable. Why? A desire to see, explore and know the wild out-there, to experience unknown corners of the world. A desire always present and never vanishing.

The summer of '75 found me in Maine, peakbagging the Hundred Highest.

And the rules? Broken by a younger, selfish self I suppose with a (minimal) inconvenience to the rangers. Later I became a ranger myself as well as wilderness guide who participated in rescues, though not in Baxter.

Ah, sweet youth!!

As the Bob Seeger song goes: "I was running against the wind..."

cb

By a remarkable coincidence, we hitched a ride with the caretaker of a private camp, who opened a locked gate and drove us to the foot of Snow Mountain. This gave us easy access to Boundary Peak.

A thoughtful piece concerning the ever present tradeoff between the desire for freedom and adventure vs. LNT and associated rules as we consider what conduct is appropriate - thanks for it.

Re: your approach to Boundary Peak, you may need to hike it again to get 'official' credit for it. 4K Club rules require your mechanized approach to be via roads legally open to the general public. And of course, beyond the 'official' rules, we each also have our own moral frameworks for what does or doesn't 'count'. Do I have to stand on the summit vs. just touch it with my pole vs. just hike near it? When the peak is on a spur, do I allow myself to slack pack it? Do I need to sign the register on a trail-less peak? What if it's not there? Etc. Etc.

Alex

Last edited:
A thoughtful piece concerning the ever present tradeoff between the desire for freedom and adventure vs. LNT and associated rules as we consider what conduct is appropriate - thanks for it.

Re: your approach to Boundary Peak, you may need to hike it again to get 'official' credit for it. 4K Club rules require your mechanized approach to be via roads legally open to the general public. And of course, beyond the 'official' rules, we each also have our own moral frameworks for what does or doesn't 'count'. Do I have to stand on the summit vs. just touch it with my pole vs. just hike near it? When the peak is on a spur, do I allow myself to slack pack it? Do I need to sign the register on a trail-less peak? What if it's not there? Etc. Etc.

Alex

Alex, He still had to descend from the base of Snow and then Climb up Boundary. I believe he is referring to being dropped off near Snow Pond where the actual trail to Mt. Snow begins. It does not sound like you have had the experience of dropping off the back side of Snow in order to hit the border valley and cross the stream and marshy area. To do this you start the ascent of snow and when you hit the open area where you contour around to the west and north. There is a trail that meets up in that area and provides a good route into the valley. Compared to the popular approach from the Canadian side which is much shorter (8 miles at least), route finding is far easier and it involves a whole lot more mechanical intervention than hitching a ride to Mt. Snow before whacking to Boundary and involves at least two times the elevation gain and loss. I think a better "moral" question would be if you approach through another Country so that your hike is shorter, easier to map and starts at a much higher elevation than the traditional route should it really count? Just saying. :)

How curious that some now climb Boundary from Canada. When my friend and I stood on top, we looked across the border and saw a nearby, circa 3800-foot summit. We crossed into Canada and climbed it that same day. There was a huge clear cut on its western/southern slopes, reminding us of the Rockies above treeline, which somehow heightened the appeal for us. On a different occasion I walked across the border in the other direction, Canada into USA, as part of a hike. There was even a hunting camp right on the border. So easy, and who would ever know? I wonder if there are now sensors in place to detect such intrusions. Ah, but don't we all carry cell phones. They know.

I couldn't find a rule on the 4000 footer website suggesting only utilize roads open to the public. But even if there were, I think the purpose would be to discourage illegal motoring on private roads, which did not apply to us. We were guests of the driver who opened the gate and drove us to the Snow trailhead.

I couldn't find a rule on the 4000 footer website suggesting only utilize roads open to the public. But even if there were, I think the purpose would be to discourage illegal motoring on private roads, which did not apply to us.
It's implied under "Can I use a mountain bike while bagging a peak?" with the requirement "legally open to the general public for car/truck travel on the day of the trip". I would find it hard to swallow that the intention is to permit motor vehicle travel on private roads but not bike travel.

Maybe some purist should ask Gene Danielle about this. He lead multiple trips to Boundary, White Cap, and Snow via the Big Island Pond Camp road back in the 80's. This required special permission and someone to open and close the gate. Back in the day it was "Highly Suggested":rolleyes: that if one wanted these peaks they should attend this annual Labor Day event in order to lessen impact; but formost not to ruffle any feathers that might ruin the privilege for future trampers climbing this peak. IMO this would also qualify as being a guest whom had been given permission to use private roads for "Public" access. With that said not the entire Public was given access. Just Gene's group. Sanbu was much in the same situation as he was a member of the public that was given permission but only he and his group at the time. Not the entire public. For what it's worth I blew off Gene Danielle back in the day and contacted Big Island Camps myself. I was given access by special permission for only myself and my group. Not the entire public. Albeit there were contingencies. Especially having to be in and out at a designated time due again to someone having to be present to unlock and lock the gate. So in lies the conundrum of what AMC's definition is of " Public Access". Let's all remember it's just a game.:p Personally I could give a rat's arse what the AMC's official rules are as I know I climbed Boundary, White Cap and Snow. It's this kind of splitting of hairs that has always kept me from applying for some stinking patch.:D

Last edited:
Tim, I think the point you're making is that he morally EARNED the peak because he had a more arduous day visiting Boundary Peak than one would have had by driving to Gosford Provincial Park and hiking barely a mile. I appreciate that value system and the associated transitive logic - but it's not one that the rules of the 'official' game embrace. As the 4K Committee explains: this is a game, and games have rules. However epic (I hate swamps) the day may have been, it apparently incorporated road access that not everyone in the public could legally have gained. Perhaps it's time to rummage through the drawers for that passport . . .

FYI, my own Boundary experience was to ski 9 miles into the park, trudge through 3' of heavy powder and spruce for the mile to the swath and peak, and exit in the dark the way we came.

Alex

alexmtn and jniehof, thank you, I hear your opinion while tending to disagree with it. After reviewing the rules I think they are vague and in need of revision if they are to reflect your viewpoint. I would also like to hear the committee make the case for why such a rule should be included. Makes me wonder if they threw out the ascents by Gene Daniell and company. By that reasoning, they would have to throw out climbs by Big Island Pond Camp residents, unless they take the Canadian option. That is senseless to me. In my case it's not just Snow and Boundary in jeopardy, but also White Cap which we bagged on the long hike south to the paved road.

If and when I finish, I will probably send in the application and if they reject it, so be it. Won't be the first time they moved the goal posts. I climbed a number of peaks as a youngster, then went on hiatus for three decades. Came back and finished up the N.E. 4000 footers. Was perturbed to find several of the NEHH that I had climbed had dropped off the list. A few new ones added, too. I was stubborn enough to climb West Tecumseh even though it was no longer official. I won't rule out crossing the border in the future. I'd like to see what that four-decade old clearcut looks like now.

Tim, I think the point you're making is that he morally EARNED the peak because he had a more As the 4K Committee explains: this is a game, and games have rules. However epic (I hate swamps) the day may have been, it apparently incorporated road access that not everyone in the public could legally have gained. Perhaps it's time to rummage through the drawers for that passport . . .

Alex
Regarding the requirement "legally open to the general public for car/truck travel on the day of the trip" being met by US Citizens with passports travelling to Boundary via Canada. I question that actually being "official". Not every member of the US general public holds a passport or can obtain one. So on a given day a member of the US general public not having a Passport would not be able to access the peaks in discussion via Canada. Therefore is approaching through Canada "Official". Maybe it is time for the AMC to fine tune it's rhetoric from "Official" to "Acceptable". Also to define their interpretation of "The General Public". In the meantime maybe it's time for some purist to think about making a trip via Wiggle Brook. :rolleyes::confused::eek:

Last edited:
... driving to Gosford Provincial Park and hiking barely a mile....

That route is actually a little over 3.5 miles & more than 1,100' ascent, so it's not as insignificant as you suggest.

Furthermore, you are incorrect to suggest that Sanbu isn't playing by the rules of the AMC 4,000 Footer Committee. The rules are:

Q. What are the rules for climbing the peaks?

A. The basic rule is very simple--you must climb (on foot!) to and from the summit of each peak on the list. In winter, skis and snowshoes are both allowed. (The Committee takes no official position on the use of sleds or "swiss bobs.")

For peaks with trails starting at maintained roads the rule is simple--drive to the trailhead then walk. (Note that you are not allowed to use the auto roads on Mts Washington, Mansfield or Equinox). For peaks in areas with rough logging roads you may drive as far as you dare with a normal car (that includes four wheel drive), but ATVs are not allowed. See below for the rules on using mountain bicycles.

You are allowed to count any number of peaks on a single trip and do not necessarily have to end up at the trailhead from which you started (many peaks are commonly done as a traverse, e.g. Bonds, Presidentials).

You must do the whole climb in one contiguous trip (which may include an overnight stay in a tent, shelter, or hut). For example, you cannot count climbing Monroe from the summit of Washington after a trip up the Cog Railway because you climbed Washington on a past hike, or, hike up Cannon and take the tramway down then come back later, take the tramway up and hike down.

Q. Can I use a mountain bike while bagging a peak?

A. The popularity of mountain bikes made it necessary to come up with some sort of policy. Please remember that this is a club for hikers; not that we object to trail bikes per se, but we want to preserve the tradition of climbing on foot, not on bikes. In winter, we have absolutely forbidden the use of snowmobiles, even when a road is passable to ordinary cars in summer. However, a similar policy on trail bikes seems a bit excessive. Therefore we suggest that we all attempt to live by the following standard:

It is acceptable to use bikes on logging roads that are:

not part of an officially maintained trail, and
legally open to the general public for car/truck travel on the day of the trip, and
are fairly easily passable to an average four-wheel drive vehicle (not an ATV) without "heroic measures" such as winches. (If you think a jeep might not make it, then please walk.)
In particular, note that using a bike on the Lincoln Woods/Wilderness Trail on the way to Owl's Head or the Bonds is not acceptable - and it violates Wilderness regulations if you ride past the crossing of Franconia brook.

The spirit of the policy is that you can ride a bike instead of traveling by car, but not instead of hiking. We hope that everyone can be reasonable about self-enforcing this standard so we don't have to come up with more excruciating technicalities.

Source.

Nowhere does it prohibit beginning a hike from a private road not open to the public, except where it defines the usage of mountain bikes as a tool.

It's implied under "Can I use a mountain bike while bagging a peak?" with the requirement "legally open to the general public for car/truck travel on the day of the trip". I would find it hard to swallow that the intention is to permit motor vehicle travel on private roads but not bike travel.

No, it is not implied. The mention of "legally open to the general public" clarifies specifically when "It is acceptable to use bikes on logging roads." You may find that hard to swallow & hypocritical, but them's the rules. (It would not be the first time that the Four Thousand Footer Committee was hypocritical.)

Last edited: