Is Jefferson Notch road open?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
I wanted to hit Millen Hill and Mt Dartmouth on saturday, wondering if you can drive Jefferson Notch road to the high point of the notch or is it gated?
Thanks!

If in doubt call NH DOT

District 1 - Northern Region
Philip Beaulieu, District Engineer
641 Main Street, Lancaster NH 03584
(603) 788-4641

By the way, the approach from the Jefferson Parking lot directly along the height if land to Millen is nasty thick Spruce and Fir with blowdown mixed in, same for Millen to Dartmouth. if you head north and downslope from the ridge its a lot easier to walk out.

Last edited:
Thanks Peakbagger, I'll give them a buzz.
I have heard the Col between Dartmouth and Millen brutal. Is that your experience too? Also, what do you mean head north and downslope? - Head north from which starting point? Thanks a lot! I appreciate your insight. Take care, Spence.

I must qualify my experience is about 10 years old. We started across the road from the parking lot running the ridgeline and very soon got into dense spruce/fir with blowdown patches which persisted all the way up and over Millen. It was nasty until we started heading up Dartmouth where the woods matured a bit. There were two canisters on Dartmouth mounted about 100 feet apart right in a dense blowdown patch. When we made our return trip to the road we dropped down off the ridge heading north about 300 feet in elevation and got into more mature softwoods mixed with birch. We followed the contour back to the road as we didn't want to lose too much elevation. Much easier walking.

I am doing the Huntington's next weekend with a group and expect the going may be similar given their nearness to the Hitchcocks (which also are some dense spruce fir).

Plan that the black flies to be out in force and bring your leather gloves and safety glasses plus a major sense of the ridiculous.

Jefferson Notch road is NOT open and won't be until after Memorial Day. Thanks for the heads up with the phone number, I just called DOT.