Missing hiker. Pinkham Notch. Search is on. (Updated with sad ending)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:

That doesn't sound like a hiker, to me. Sounds like a tourist

That is what he had on in the visitor center. I am guessing most of us have changed before a hike, so it is possible that happened. Hoping for a happy ending here.

Good news he is okay.

Interesting end to it though. It makes me wonder if it is standard protocol for S&R groups to make some phone calls to local motels and campgrounds to check the guest lists for missing hikers. We don't yet know if he was staying in one in the area, so it may not have helped this time, but I assume this is standard practice.

Glad it did not end the way I expected it might given the circumstances.

Last edited:
Good news he is okay.

Interesting end to it though. It makes me wonder if it is standard protocol for S&R groups to make some phone calls to local motels and campgrounds to check the guest lists for missing hikers. We don't yet know if he was staying in one in the area, so it may not have helped this time, but I assume this is standard practice.

I was once reported overdue in the Winter in the ADKs. The Ranger located me very quickly, but he said he first searched the local bars!

It makes me wonder if it is standard protocol for S&R groups to make some phone calls to local motels and campgrounds to check the guest lists for missing hikers. We don't yet know if he was staying in one in the area, so it may not have helped this time, but I assume this is standard practice.

When I was an S&R pilot for the NH Civil Air Patrol in the '80s, we were told that it was pretty standard for the authorities to try to find out if the overdue pilot had any credit cards, and check with the credit card companies to see if they had been used since the overdue flight took off, and if so, where. I am told that on occasion, this led to a person being located, in shall we say, embarrassing circumstances. All we really cared about is that the person was safe.

I'd think that F&G would probably be able to do the same.

TomK

Yes, in SAR we call this the "Bastard Search." Search first the local bars, bathrooms, flophouses, etc. When the subject turns up in one of these after turning the SAR world upside down and costing everyone a lot of money, we yell "You Bastard!"

I imagine a few names were thrown out there right after the initial relief that he was found alive.

So. His car was at Pinkham. He was alone. He was found in Gorham with a duffel. If that's not a hitch, it's a very long walk or a very difficult one depending on whether one goes around or over. Reality is often more mundane than speculative fantasy, but I am certainly curious now. I wonder if more details will emerge especially considering the relatively large search undertaken and the fact he was added to the missing persons database.

Any flophouses in Gorham?

Initial reports spoke to multiple medical issues. To protect his privacy, news releases would not say, most likely. I wonder about mental illness being one of his issues which would explain away some strange behavior. I hope his family finds comfort soon in learning where he is. I'd be interested in knowing, just because I'm nosey.

heard that his body was found in Tuckerman Ravine yesterday by hikers. Yesterday was the first day that the headwall section of Tuckerman Ravine Trail was open

Good news he is okay.

Well, we don't know for sure he is ok. Or, really, that the witness actually saw him. Memory is a funny thing. Guy could literally be anywhere

heard that his body was found in Tuckerman Ravine yesterday by hikers. Yesterday was the first day that the headwall section of Tuckerman Ravine Trail was open

Looks like that is the case, sadly.

The report that was posted by on local Vermont TV WEB page indicated he was found at 5,300ft elevation. I've not seen that reported elsewhere. I seem to remember the search was being directed to low elevations around Pinkham given his experience/family reporting, so could it be that the search was not as far ranging as it would have been normally. Of course, I don't know if there is ever a "normal" search.

The report that was posted by on local Vermont TV WEB page indicated he was found at 5,300ft elevation. I've not seen that reported elsewhere. I seem to remember the search was being directed to low elevations around Pinkham given his experience/family reporting, so could it be that the search was not as far ranging as it would have been normally. Of course, I don't know if there is ever a "normal" search.

The SAR Facebook post said it was in the vicinity of the Lion Head and Alpine Garden Trails so that elevation is about right it would seem. I think the article mentioned Tuckerman Ravine Trail so I'm guessing it was in that little triangle where the trails intersect. There is a fair amount of scrub there. I went through there that afternoon and there were some patches of snow left on Tuckerman Trail just before Lawn Cutoff junction that were wet and kinda firm. I could see someone slipping and sliding into the rocks and getting hurt. I assume some sort of serious injury was the cause of death. Weather has not been severe enough to die from exposure lately. I forget if they said he was well equipped but IIRC he was seem in Crocs and his gear in general was lacking.

The article also didn't clarify (or if it did I didn't pick up on it) if the search had ended when it was reported he was seen on the road in Gorham. Were they still looking or did a random hiker come across the body? Real bummer if they called off the search on a bogus sighting when they might have still found him. Still gives me the chills knowing I was in such close proximity to someone who lost their life while I was enjoying a hell of a day out in the mountains.