Secret summit cave

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I returned to the secret summit cave this fall and installed a Treasure Chest.

The cave is located in the alpine zone of a major New England peak. Clues on this thread narrow down the identity of the peak. Several here have already worked out the name correctly and discretely.

The easiest and quickest approach is almost entirely by trail. From the summit descend the standard trail for several hundred steps (366 Sanbu strides to be exact). Turn off the trail, pass through a short stretch of forest, and cross open rocks to the entrance. You won't see the cave opening until you are close upon it. Look inside for the Treasure Chest. The initial treasure is a ping-pong chicken that I picked up from a street vendor in Beijing.

The Treasure Chest contains the following instructions:

Ground Rules
1. At the website, www.vftt.org, read clues that identify a New England peak with a summit cave
2. Deduce the name of the peak
3. Hike to the summit
4. Locate the cave and find treasure chest inside
5. Make an entry in the log
6. Take the treasure with you, provided you leave behind a small item of your own
7. Leave the treasure chest in the cave
8. Report back to www.vftt.org
9. Please do not post or disclose the name of the peak, so others may enjoy the game. Honor system, OK?

The ping-pong chicken:

Ping Pong Chicken.jpg

And the installed Treasure Chest:

Treasure Chest in cave.jpg

I decided to retrieve and remove the register, what I call the treasure chest earlier on this thread. Let the place revert to nature, underground wilderness. By the way, the treasure is the box with a ping-pong chicken.

Problem: It may be years before I return to the area, what with covid restrictions. And at my age, physical condition in future may not allow me to reach the summit cave.

I am recruiting for a volunteer to go up and clear out the cave, that is, completely remove the register and treasure chest. I don't need it back. You may keep the chicken. To make it worth the while, I offer modest remuneration (upon provision of photographic evidence). Hey, it's not every day you can get paid to hike up a northeastern peak! I'll even make a separate donation to the organization that maintains trails in the area.

I request folks abide by the original post. "Please do not reveal the name of the mountain on these forums. Honor system, OK?"

Any takers? If interested, send me a private message.

Registry and treasure chest removed. Thanks to M.D.B. for fetching it. Donation sent to local trail maintenance organization.