Snow in the front yard 5/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
It looks and feels like late November outside this AM, winds cranked up, snow on the ground and the leaves aren't out. Good reminder for all that Spring weather is pretty unpredictable. Maybe it will knock out some of the black fly hatch ;)

Good luck on the black flies, peakbagger. 1/4" on the ground at 1300' west of Cardigan, but the leaves are out and so are the flies. Last Thursday three Cardigan Highlanders re-posted signs at the West Ridge-Skyland junction, and after lunch descended a ways to dig a 5-yd ditch and plant 5 pavers across a mudhole. Out came the flies, on went the headnets, we finished ASAP and hiked down to the cooler of beverages.

Today seems the best day this week to get out and hike while the flies are cold and sluggish, the rest of the week expects highs in the 60s and 70s. BTW, the flies taste no better this year than they ever did.

Snowing in southern Vermont too. I will say: I hiked for 9 hours on Saturday on the Huntington peaks in NH and not a single black fly.

Snowing in southern Vermont too. I will say: I hiked for 9 hours on Saturday on the Huntington peaks in NH and not a single black fly.

I did Lafayette SAT via Greenleaf Trail from Cannon lot and was shocked to not see a single biting insect. It was chilly AM and there was a 10-15 mph breeze above treeline but on the way down it was calm and warm and there was nothing. Hopefully all these Winter "re-starts" are killing hatches....

I was surprised to see the snow flying this morning on my way out to the car this morning- in Essex VT. On the way to work in Stowe, several cars had 1" plus on the roof.

WRT black flies- They weren't too bad on Mansfield last Thursday. Last year (at about this time of the year) we did a hike on Mt. Hunger and were eaten alive by the most voracious swarm of black flies I've ever encountered. They were big and hungry.

Was helping clear blowdowns on the MA AT (a little N of the Mass Pike) on Sunday and we were lightly sleeted, snowed, and graupeled on. Temp was ~45F. No bugs to speak of, but it was also a bit breezy.

Doug

I was out of town Monday night, while driving over from ST J this afternoon (Tuesday), the high summits all seemed to have some pretty persistent snow, surprised it didn't melt with the warm up.