more full moon hike locations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinMom+1

Reaction score
Very bummed that the weather tomorrow Sat 5/21 looks cloudy and thus the full moon (which happens to coincide with our anniversary) is probably not going to be in view. I've asked for full moon hike locations a few years ago with consensus that Kearsage North and Avalon are decent full moon treks. Any other ideas perhaps closer to Gorham where we're staying? Considering we can't start til 4 pm anyway due to morning commitments can't be very long. Moriah to south ledges? Lowes Path to Gray Knob Cabin if the viewpoints are worth it (which they may not be?) Crescent if there remains parking in that residential area of the trailhead?

thx for all the wisdom this group has on any topic.

Last edited:
Depending on how far you're looking to hike, a trip up Shelburne Moriah from the Shelburne trail (from Rt 2) might be quite nice. Even if the don't summit, the ledge to the east of the summit are quite nice and have a lovely view of the Wild River Wilderness. You could also try a Rattle River ascent, but last year it was pretty brushed in with lots of little blow downs.

Something smaller and closer would be Dome Rock from Appalachia. A nice lollipop-loop can be done by going up Inlook to Kelton and down Valley Way.

Crescent if there remains parking in that residential area of the trailhead?

FYI: There is a new parking area for the Crescent area, at the end of the road from the previous spot. There was a small sign at the old trail head, but the new one is very large. A nice change.

I dont' know if this fits your bill, but Pine Mt. is kind of cool, if you want something on the smaller side.

A generally forgotten about but very nice extended stretch of above treeline hiking would be the stretch of the mahoosuc trail from Goose Eye to the South Peak of Fulling Mill mountain. Its 11 mile loop including a 2.5 mile road walk along Success Pond Road. The above treeline stretch is about 2.5 miles.

Kilkenny area too far? I've watched moonrises and sunrises from Roger's Ledge and it was very nice. I'd suggest contacting the Hatchery with your plan, not sure what time you'd be out, so they may keep the gate open. Mill Brook Trail is real easy to follow with good footing for most of it, so it's not a bad night hike.

Scoot up Rt 16 to Wildcat and hoof it up the Polecat trail.

I'll second Sierra's suggestion on Pine Mountain - come in from Pinkham B side though and take the road walk to the Horton Center. I'd avoid coming up from Gorham at night only because of a tricky spot where the trail is easy to miss from that side. This would be a relatively easy trip up compared to some for a night hike. Careful on any ledges. You could also hike along the ridge at night to the various view points without too much effort.

Thanks all and esp Rainman - we ran up Crescent since clouds obscured the moon view. At least we got some great northern Presi views and enough time for post-hike hot tub time. The new Randolph Hill Road parking lot is super and although the initial signage on the new Peek Path trail connector is a little vague the Mt Crescent trail can be followed via red blazes to its junction w/Crescent Ridge Trail.