Slide Mountain (Catskills)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Same day we were there, wonder if we saw you. We opted for the loop, up the Curtis Ormsbee trail, did you hike the Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide trail all the way? We did it on the way down, never did see that 3500 sign, glad you took a pix of it - will show it to my friends. One photo of yours that is near the summit - I think that is the junction of the Curtis Ormsbee trail, not the Phoenicia East trail.

Wow! Same day we were there, wonder if we saw you. We opted for the loop, up the Curtis Ormsbee trail, did you hike the Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide trail all the way? We did it on the way down, never did see that 3500 sign, glad you took a pix of it - will show it to my friends. One photo of yours that is near the summit - I think that is the junction of the Curtis Ormsbee trail, not the Phoenicia East trail.

We only did Slide that day but we might have seen you guys near the summit? We took the same trail up and down, but Im not sure if that is the same trail as the Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide trail? Also I didn't add the photo to the blog but the sign at that junction pointed towards the Phoenicia East trail. I think we may have hiked up from opposite sides of the mountain?

Looks like we parked at the same place, we just went straight when you took the left. Further on down we took a left up the Curtis Ormsbee. Here's the sign. I can see why people would think it is the Phoencia trail. IMG_3820.jpg

Tom Rankin, on the way back we saw a pipe with water coming out of it yet I dont see any mention of a spring - know anything about it?

Pipes are typically an indicator of clean water. I've drunk from that spring pipe a few times. It's so close to the trailhead, I don't always bother. But Catskill water is always delicious!

There is another one near the C-O monument, and another heading down towards Cornell, the highest elevation spring in the Catskills, AFAIK. All 3 are marked on my 2016 Map, did you mean there was no sign?

Looks like we parked at the same place, we just went straight when you took the left. Further on down we took a left up the Curtis Ormsbee. Here's the sign. I can see why people would think it is the Phoencia trail. View attachment 5550

Tom Rankin, on the way back we saw a pipe with water coming out of it yet I dont see any mention of a spring - know anything about it?

Ahhh good catch! Yes that was the junction I was talking about.

Pipes are typically an indicator of clean water. I've drunk from that spring pipe a few times. It's so close to the trailhead, I don't always bother. But Catskill water is always delicious!

There is another one near the C-O monument, and another heading down towards Cornell, the highest elevation spring in the Catskills, AFAIK. All 3 are marked on my 2016 Map, did you mean there was no sign?

I saw the same pipe, there was no sign marking it as a spring or as being potable. Looked clean and fresh though.