Trail Litter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides seeing micro. I often find a Mylar balloons. Also I must confess that I lost an empty water bottle out of my pack last summer, I really do think of it often. I feel something karma related is going to happen to me.
I found that water bottle, at the bottom of a fifty foot cliff under half a ton of garbage. It had YOUR name on it! :)

I'm keeping an eye on trail litter this summer to see what's going on.

Last two hikes with results:

1. Adams via VW, Brookside, Watson, Scar, Airline, Gulfside, Lowes, return via Star Lake Trail, Airline. A few pieces (3-4) of microtrash and plastic, all smaller than one inch length.

2. Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail, first mile for trail work. Same thing - a few pieces of microtrash with one plastic bag, one cigarette butt.

My conclusion is that it's more than I like to see, but it's not an alarming increase over what I have seen in the past.

Here's a hypothesis: I spend most of my time on trail in the northern Whites. Is there more trash on southern trails?

I've been in different areas and the worst offender is absolutely the little tear-off pieces from energy bars. They slip out of hands and either people don't notice or decide not to pick it up. TP continues to be a problem. I was astounded on Sunday to find fresh TP on the Dickey-Tecumseh bushwack, well out of the region where tourists would go. It had to have been left by somebody who has hiked enough to be part of a team with a leader. I'd like to know if any group hikes were led there recently.

My personal favorite this weekend, while not litter, was the huge "F### YOU" spray painted prominently on a large rock in the Pemi River heading East toward Lincoln just before Loon Ski area. Was absolutely livid to see that graffiti. There is definitely a different group of people making their way into the hills. On an up note I did the Hancock loop this Saturday and don't recall seeing any trash on the trails, which is a pretty popular hike for non serious types.

My personal favorite this weekend, while not litter, was the huge "F### YOU" spray painted prominently on a large rock in the Pemi River heading East toward Lincoln just before Loon Ski area. Was absolutely livid to see that graffiti. There is definitely a different group of people making their way into the hills...

On a related note: Passing through the Galehead Hut area a few weeks ago on my way to the Twin Brook Trail and saw a guy wearing
a shirt that said in big bold letters "PLYMOUTH F###ING STATE". Class act, wearing that in an area filled with families. His parents
must be so proud of him.

My personal favorite this weekend, while not litter, was the huge "F### YOU" spray painted prominently on a large rock in the Pemi River heading East toward Lincoln just before Loon Ski area. Was absolutely livid to see that graffiti. There is definitely a different group of people making their way into the hills.

Spray painting boulders?! It might be time for playground justice.

I was pleased this weekend doing the Cabot loop. I saw no trace of trash on the entire loop. I generally consider Cabot a hike for somewhat more serious hikers due to the longer drive from down south. I usually attribute trash to less experienced hikers on popular trails.

I picked up a bit of trash at Spaulding shelter this weekend. My personal facorite was a johny walker red bottle 1/4 filled with urine. A thruhiker made note in the register he left it behind, but other hikers noted it was urine. I dumped it out. I ened up hauling 4 empty booze bottles and some assortec trash out of that one shelter. Picked up a few atm receipts from A Rangeley ATM, but nothing too bad on the trails. Saw a pile of coors and bud lite cans while walking down the Sugarloaf access road at the end of the hike.

someone left a traffic cone on top of Lafayette on Saturday (July 2)

someone left a traffic cone on top of Lafayette on Saturday (July 2)

Lafayette over the 4th Weekend... sounds like the quote was actually up there in use....

Lafayette over the 4th Weekend... sounds like the quote was actually up there in use....

Because of the high wind, Saturday was not that crowed. More people on Sunday.

Meanwhile, at Greenleaf Hut, a 2 bus loads from somewhere. If only I could upload the picture.

First, for all you that pick up litter on the trails on a volunteer basis (or even if you get paid for it). Thank you !

For the most part, I see virtually zero litter in the NE mountains (ADK high peaks area, White Mountains, most popular Green mountains). Most of what I do see is limited to the camping areas. I also do allot of walking (2-3 hour walks or jogs, when does a walk become a hike ?) in the DCR areas around the Wachusett Reservoir near home, totally different story. There I try to do some pick up by bringing an extra plastic bag and pick up a bit on my way out. In general in seems the more work you have to do to get to a place the better care people take of it.I do however recall a large pile of human feces mixed with TP about 2-3 feet off the summit marker (back in the days of canisters) on Seward in the ADKs early back in the early 1990's, maybe that individual was mad there was no view ? With the enormous crowds in the mountains, I am impressed with how well we take care of them in general. But even a small percentage of morons can scare the land significantly. Thanks again to all that clean up after them, I will try to follow you lead.

I was pleased this weekend doing the Cabot loop. I saw no trace of trash on the entire loop. I generally consider Cabot a hike for somewhat more serious hikers due to the longer drive from down south. I usually attribute trash to less experienced hikers on popular trails.

I think this is true. Like some inexperienced hikers think a cell phone with 911 on speed dial is one of the 10 essentials, I think there is a school of thought that there are trail crews that get paid to wander the mountains and pick up trash.

My personal favorite this weekend, while not litter, was the huge "F### YOU" spray painted prominently on a large rock in the Pemi River heading East toward Lincoln just before Loon Ski area.
I'm not sure how one could be headed east towards Lincoln and be just before Loon.

When I did Scar Ridge, there were a lot of painted rocks in the Hancock Branch where we crossed (near Big Rock campground), including one giant smiley face. The reflective house numbers nailed to trees all over the place after the crossing were more disturbing.

I'm not sure how one could be headed east towards Lincoln and be just before Loon.

When I did Scar Ridge, there were a lot of painted rocks in the Hancock Branch where we crossed (near Big Rock campground), including one giant smiley face. The reflective house numbers nailed to trees all over the place after the crossing were more disturbing.

I consider "Lincoln" to be the downtown area (specifically the McDonalds that magnetically pulls my car into the drive up every time I go by after a hike. :) ). I believe the rock in question was between the Hancock Campground and Loon Ski Area.

My personal favorite this weekend, while not litter, was the huge "F### YOU" spray painted prominently on a large rock in the Pemi River heading East toward Lincoln just before Loon Ski area. Was absolutely livid to see that graffiti. There is definitely a different group of people making their way into the hills. On an up note I did the Hancock loop this Saturday and don't recall seeing any trash on the trails, which is a pretty popular hike for non serious types.

If you read the original statement, I think it's pretty clear it was the boulder heading east. ;)