First trip to Catskills-Suggestions on a hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtaft11

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am planning on hiking the Catskills for the first time and am looking for a moderate hike with a view (if that's possible). I've hiked a lot of high peaks in the Adirondacks, but never been to the Catskills.

Thanks!

3500' Peaks in the Catskills with good views, not always at the true summit:

Wittenburg
Slide
Hunter (Fire Tower)
Balsam Lake (Fire Tower)
Twin
Indian Head
Kaaterskill High Peak
Windham High Peak
Westkill
Peekamoose
Table
Panther

None of these are really long hikes, but depending on the route, can be steep, rocky, strenuous, etc.

Almost all the rest have mini-views, but you sometimes have to hunt around.

Other fire towers below 3500' are:

Red Hill - 1.5 miles one way
Tremper - least views for a tower
Overlook - 2.5 mile road walk, but relentlessly steep. Open summit even if no tower.

The fire towers are usually open to the public on weekends from Memorial Day to Columbus Day.

The least views to be had are on:

Eagle
Big Indian
Fir
Halcott
Sherrill

I'm sure others will either chime in with what I've missed or contradict me! :D

Last edited:
For a very first trip to the Catskills I would recommend the bushwhack range: Start from the north and hike Wittenberg, Cornell and the bushwhack through Friday, Balsam Cap, Rocky, and Lone and then hike Tabletop to Peekamoose. 8 peaks in one day. It will only take you about 15-16 hours (took me 15 1/2) and is one of the death marches.
:) Haha, just being a wise-ass.
Tom is definitely the most knowledgeable person on here for the CATs, I would follow his advice. I would think Panther would be a great choice because you will have Giant Ledge on the way - which is fantastic. And even if you decide that pushing on to Panther is too much for you, then turning back at Giant Ledge is not big deal - you will still have gotten some amazing views and incredible landscape that are more than worth it.

I must confess I haven't hiked the Catskills since the late 1960s when I moved away from the area. But even at that distance I have memories of spectacular views of the Hudson Valley from what I believe was called North Mt. I also don't remember the hike being particularly hard but with all the time that's past that memory obviously is dim.

Ed, Yes, there are good views along the Escarpment trail of the Hudson Valley. There is a peak called North Point, maybe that is what you remember.