Proposed Huntington Ravine Warning Sign

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Six Husbands trail has a few ladders on the steepest spots and it's in a wilderness area. If folks are concerned about safety on the Huntington Ravine trail, maybe it's time to add a few ladders or staircases on the most exposed sections.
No thank you.

There is no need to down-grade every trail that some may find challenging... (IMO, it isn't hard--it just requires a small amount of skill.)

Doug

I run into the same problem with long posts. A sign that is sufficiently terse (i.e., uses pictures/symbols) and is thoughtfully placed can be effective. A hotel putting up signs for no other reason than liability might not be trying as hard.

Have you ever read your trip reports?, lol. Just messing with you, the trail maintainers must love you.

I wonder how well it would work to use a rating system like ski trails for hiking trails. That way, the hiker wishing and skilled enough to handle a double-black like 6H or HR has the chance but beginners should be sufficiently warned off. Personally, I prefer less signage and certainly don't want to make all the trails "green".

Tim

No thank you.

There is no need to down-grade every trail that some may find challenging... (IMO, it isn't hard--it just requires a small amount of skill.)

Doug

Keep warning signs out of the wilderness areas! 6 husband's wasn't that bad at all unless you have an irrational fear of ladders. (And I do). There was no point with those overbuilt ladders that I thought I was in any danger. It was a fun diversion up an otherwise rather steep trail. Perhaps if it was wet it would be another story. But that's the personal responsibility thing again. Also you would be hard pressed to just find yourself on it to begin with.

In Acadia they have signs on the two tough trails. The precipice and beehive. They are warranted due to the people that shuffle through there. Close to a road? They are practically on the side of the road. I can see tossing up a sign on a "trail" that goes up a rock face like Huntington ravine. To be fair I haven't yet gone up it. But I can see the merit. Keep it out of the wilderness areas. The signs probably wouldn't be allowed there anyway. The signs at the door to these areas warn you about primitive conditions.

Are there any signs in BSP about the Knife Edge? I haven't hiked across it in 15 years, but I don't recall one from that trip.

Keep warning signs out of the wilderness areas! 6 husband's wasn't that bad at all unless you have an irrational fear of ladders. (And I do). There was no point with those overbuilt ladders that I thought I was in any danger. It was a fun diversion up an otherwise rather steep trail. Perhaps if it was wet it would be another story. But that's the personal responsibility thing again. Also you would be hard pressed to just find yourself on it to begin with.

In Acadia they have signs on the two tough trails. The precipice and beehive. They are warranted due to the people that shuffle through there. Close to a road? They are practically on the side of the road. I can see tossing up a sign on a "trail" that goes up a rock face like Huntington ravine. To be fair I haven't yet gone up it. But I can see the merit. Keep it out of the wilderness areas. The signs probably wouldn't be allowed there anyway. The signs at the door to these areas warn you about primitive conditions.

Speaking of Precipice and white noise, I walk right by the warning sign at the trailhead and never saw it. I was younger and severely out of shape and bailed on the hike halfway up. I went back a year later, after hiking Katahdin, and read saw the signs for the first time and wondered why I randomly picked that trail to hike. It still amazes me that in a year I went from struggling on the easy lower half to wondering why it was so easy the next year. Too many signs are routinely ignored.

Ladders on the Huntington Ravine trail?

Gross.

Just....NO.

Why does every single incident require some kind of "reaction" like this?

I would bet that at some level in Government, no one is concerned about safety. They are concerned about money, and lawyers and accountants will decide what signs or other equipment are put in place. The signs will not keep anyone safe, just cover the state in lawsuits.

Trails come in a range of difficulty, and it's all personal perspective whether you perceive a trail as "easy" vs. "dangerous."

I would think that anything with a descriptive term can be attributed to personal perspective, whether they be skiing or hiking trails, college courses, roads, you name it. Someone labels a skiing trail a blue square, and that's it. I could fathom something similar in hiking, but the problem becomes with hiking, some trails could have a mix of all three. Ski trails, since they intersect often enough to others, are either renamed or redesignated by section. Possibly do the same with hiking, but not something I think I agree with.

(Another vote for no signs, no ladders, no zip lines, etc.)

Put up a billboard at the Hampton Toll booth. Mission accomplished!;):D

I wonder how well it would work to use a rating system like ski trails for hiking trails.
The NatGeo Trails Illustrated map for the Whites has rough ratings (or had in the edition a few years ago). Of course, that would require the unprepared to not only carry a map, but look at it!

I would object far less to a small logo next to the trail name at junction signs than I would to a whole new warning sign.

I feel that walking by the memorial to Albert Dow and the Rescue Cache box in the base of the ravine should be warning enough. The recent slide runouts that are apparent some years also adds to the "Toto we are not in Kansas" feeling.

A warning sign is definitely needed for the unprepared trying to go down the Huntington Ravine Trail