Adirondack Loj And Garden Parking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I have finally lined up my first hikes in NY for July and I have a question on the Loj and Garden lots. They have a fee and fill up fast on weekends so I want to get there very early (I'll be camping roughly an hour away). I know the Loj had a gatehouse so I'm wondering what happens if you show up to the lot at 4:30-5:00 AM. Is it actually staffed at that hour or do they have some sort of envelope system? I don't want to get there at 4:00 AM to find a locked gate and have to wait until 6:00PM for the first attendant to arrive.

If anyone can clarify "early entry" here and at The Garden (which is where I think I'll actually be hiking out of) it would be appreciated.

Both the Loj and the Garden have the ability to pay via envelope after hours.

When they fill up completely depends on who else wants to be hiking that weekend. The Loj has hundreds of spaces, so as long as you get an early start (say before 9 AM), you should be fine, whereas the Garden is maybe 30 spots, and I've actually gotten shut out on a Friday night of a nice fall weekend.

Thanks. I got the impression the Garden was bigger. I should be there really early, no later than 5AM, so hopefully I won't have an issue.

The problem is that Johns Brook Lodge sleeps 28 people and they all park at the Garden, some for days. They usually come out mid-morning, after breakfast. Then there are some openings for parking, but later than most day hikers would want to start. ADK also rents lean-tos and two cabins on their property.

All this makes parking availability difficult at the Garden.