Hiking gear in carry-on

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardsgirl

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can bring trekking poles in a carry-on?

What about microspikes?

Flying JetBlue to Seattle this weekend.

I've brought both items in checked baggage before, but since I'm traveling light, I'm wondering if they're allowed in my allotted carry-on bag.

Thanks!

To them a hiking pole would be the same as the ski pole..maybe worse due to no basket..good stabbing weapon..spear etc.

Writing to you with a view of Mt. Rainier (where it's sunny and gorgeous today!)... FWIW, my microspikes made it through in my carry-on. I left the poles at home. Thanks for the link!

The major issue is that what TSA allows on a plane differs from airport to airport. Lesson learned (trust me!!!!!!) is check it! or send it in advance. I've had no issue with self admitted hand loaded ammunition in checked baggage on numerous trips. I have had a TSA agent pull me aside to inspect a rifle.....rifle was in a Pelican box labeled "CERTIFIED LAW ENFORCEMENT SNIPER DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN WITHOUT AGENT PRESENT." I open the case for TSA and TSA then says where is the bolt? (bolt action rifle). I tell them it in my carry on. Agent then says he will refuse to allow the rifle as checked baggage without the bolt. Anyone who knows bolt action rifles will understand the lunacy behind that order. Short of it...the bolt stayed with me and his supervisor was apologetic.

Lets not forget, they have a 92% failure rate...self admitted. Any headache with TSA will just cost you time. Best to just avoid any issue and be on your way to fun. The endeavor I spoke of above was a 2 hour ordeal.

I've made mention of this before, but will reiterate to the point Biscut made. The TSA issues guidelines, but it's ultimately up to the individual carrier to make final decisions. We ran into this with white gas stoves in checked baggage. 4 stoves, 4 separate airports and airlines:

*Two get on no problem, one flying out of Seattle on Alaska Air (asked was was let on no problem) the other out of Manchester on Northwest (wasn't asked, didn't offer it up)
*One is initially denied by the gate agent, but Pilot walks by and once the passenger is queried there's actually no gas in it, goes ahead no problem. Not sure of carrier and flying out of Binghampton NY (agent opened bag to check)
*One cannot get past the gate agent, and is turned away, flying American out of Manchester (agent asked if there was a stove, and I stupidly said yes, no gas, brand new, opened up my gear and pulled it out to be easily identified)

All got the same info from TSA: New stoves with no evidence of any gas previously stored would be OK.

I checked with a TSA representative in Fairbanks, who gave me the "it's only a guideline" detail.

So, getting feedback on things is helpful, be prepared to be pretty let down depending on really the mood of the gate agent.

Years ago my friends used to work in Boston for United, they would dispose of bags full of new/half empty MSR type butane/propane canisters, MSR liquid fuel bottles and all sorts of stoves from baggage being checked. This was pre TSA but was airline policy. If they saw a backpack, they asked the question if this type of gear was present and made the person checking the bag take it out and dispose of it. The local boy scout in the Gorham area were benefactors of this policy as they handed me couple of bags of perfectly good MSR bottles. I never did get any stoves but expect some airline employee had a side business selling them.

I saw something on the news a few years ago that the state of NH manages the confiscated and abandoned items from Manchester and couple of other airports including Logan, I remember that if you need a deal on pocket knives and Leathermans they were the place to shop. https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-new-market/aLX2aH4xCVuQsgY6i0p1mM/story.html. I looked around the state of NH website and couldn't find any more recent info.