Pokemon Go - hiking?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
Um, I haven't downloaded it, but I might.... I might have seen a couple people playing with it in my local park today.

Wondering how it would be played on Franconia Ridge on a busy Saturday in July - ??????

Seems like it has potential to get people outside and earning "rewards" for distances. Of course, then, their phone battery could die right when they need it the most!

:)

We've already had 2 groups of people on our lawn. I think they need to improve their accuracy before someone gets hurt!

Pokemon Go in the Whites? If you're going to be watching a screen rather than where you place your feet...I'd say that would give you at best five minutes of exercise before you're flat on your face. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
When I heard about Pokemon Go recently I couldn't resist comparing it to geoaching (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-12/long-before-pokemon-go-there-was-geocaching.) After talking to a couple of people at work who tried the app it sounds like finding these Pokemons is not very hard and as it happens with anything that is relatively easy, people get bored with it and move on. How many of your friends can you think of who are still playing Angry Birds or Candy Crush?

I think geocaching is a bit more challenging in that gps is not always very accurate and you actually have to locate a physical container that sometimes is really tiny and cleverly hidden. Over past 8 years that I have been geocaching I enjoyed different aspects of the game and there is a burnout factor to this too, but one thing that keeps me willing to shell out $30/year for premium membership is that I use geocaching map to discover new trails that are often not on the map and most of the time I plan my hikes based on geocache locations that appear to be in blank spots on the map. Basically, I reason that the majority of the geocaches are hidden not too far off the trail and after some research I often find at least a starting point and sometimes an obscure pdf map that will get me going. I don't always get where I want to, but the exploration aspect and discovery of new places coupled with wildlife encounters is what I am really after.

A woman was walking with her phone today and almost walked into me twice going into a store, maybe she was playing that game. I find phone use like that rude and took advantage of her multitasking to cut her in line. :mad:

wellllllllll,,,, turns out I cannot download it on my phone,,,, darn it - I was wondering if there might be any creatures nearby and now I'll never know unless strangers start showing up. Gosh I hope this thing isn't still HUGE in the fall in my classroom :0

There are dozens of people walking around the park next to my home, all looking at (the device in) their hands. Its pretty weird, especially their ambulatory style which is akin to a zombie walk. They tend to gather at all hours at this one point in the park. I guess that's a gym? Most of them look like they've been confined to the basement in their parents' house for a few years and this is first time they've been outside. I've never seen any of these people in the park before and they seem totally oblivious to the trees, wildflowers, birds, fireflies, or even the river itself. I don't know what value the game has but the people playing it look like puppets on a string or characters in a real time sci-fi movie.

There are dozens of people walking around the park next to my home, all looking at (the device in) their hands. Its pretty weird, especially their ambulatory style which is akin to a zombie walk. They tend to gather at all hours at this one point in the park. I guess that's a gym? Most of them look like they've been confined to the basement in their parents' house for a few years and this is first time they've been outside. I've never seen any of these people in the park before and they seem totally oblivious to the trees, wildflowers, birds, fireflies, or even the river itself. I don't know what value the game has but the people playing it look like puppets on a string or characters in a real time sci-fi movie.

This was the exact experience I had the other night downtown in Dover at a local park. Zombies milling about apparently taking commands from the devices in their hands. At times running up the streets, only soon to come running back the other way. It's good the river bank has a railing in that park to bump them back to safety.

I won't use it..found out groups,con's etc are using it now. Some groups like pro life etc are waiting for you .. not my cup of tea..I've got a life that's thrilling enough without playing doing that app.