Coyotes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think having hiking dog, keeps a lot of wildlife away. As a soloist, I used to see a lot of wildlife, but since I got my dog, it's actually rare that I see animals. I see my dog go on alert, but I don't see anything. I'm assuming whatever was close, scattered. I have thought about coyote's and would not like a pack to come near us. Not really sure if they would come after my dog, I tend to doubt it. that being said, I'm ready if they do.;)

So idiotic to harass a moose like that. When the ears of any animal are back like that, back off. Every moose we've encountered, with or witout calf, gave us a wide berth and if that nincompoop had backed up a bit rather than edging on, I'm certain she would have soon disappeared with her twins into the woods. The guy could've gotten pinched if a game warden had witnessed it.

So idiotic to harass a moose like that. When the ears of any animal are back like that, back off. Every moose we've encountered, with or witout calf, gave us a wide berth and if that nincompoop had backed up a bit rather than edging on, I'm certain she would have soon disappeared with her twins into the woods. The guy could've gotten pinched if a game warden had witnessed it.

I agree. Me and my dog ran into a big bull coming off Osceola about half mile from the trailhead. He was just 20ft off the trail and my dog was going ballistic. Thank god, I leash my dog. The Moose showed signs of aggression, probably in reaction to my dog, I'm sure. I grabbed my dog's harness and marched into the woods in the opposite direction, bushwacked a wide birth to get back on the trail. When I turned to check, the moose was walking in the opposite direction at a calm pace.

I was sitting on the Cohos Trail just north of the end of Nash Stream road; I was silently watching a bear eat berries in Cathedral Meadow, and a coyote ran right up to me, maybe ten feet away, saw me and ran into the woods. No problems. The deer snorting by my tent all night was much more disturbing.

I rode my bike around the entire Cabot Trail in Cape Breton where the girl was killed by the hybrid wolf/coyote, and I heard the coyotes at night while camping in the Highlands. They were intense. If I were a smaller person, I wouldn't run down a trail in that area alone, but other than that, I think the animals just want to be left alone. Here in New England...no problem.

That's probably comparable to the experiences most of us have had with northeastern wildlife but I think it a mistake to underestimate the danger of any animal if it feels cornered, it's young are threatened, or a food source challenged. A pack of coyotes can be unpredictable and even more dangerous than just one, no matter the size. Awareness, respect and preparation for such possibilities should not be taken lightly as with any other aspect of safety in the outdoors.

The correct pronunciation of coyote? I've wondered that myself ... maybe it has to do with what you're rhyming it with.

Ah, you have to write some songs, I am guessing.

I had 2 of them follow me for over 20 minutes while hiking Bunnell Notch Trail August 2015. First time i've seen any in NH or VT. I don't live far from Fahnstock Park in NY. A decade ago they were not noticeable but were around. Now they are a tremendous burden. I would get 14-16 deer in my back yard on most evenings....now its a few here and there. Coyote's have really tore up the deer population around me. And there are no outdoor cats left. When they mate, OMG its crazy how loud and crazy it sounds.

I did Gale River Trail and the Twinway to Guyot (well almost to Guyot) SAT and there was a quite a pack of something howling not far from me in the relocated section of Gale River Trail that winds up and down the hills from the river crossing to where it rejoins old trail. The barks had a very deep sound to them, much lower in tone than coyotes (which I hear all Summer near my house in CT and am very familiar with). At first I thought they might be wild dogs but then there would be intermittent howling that sounded like coyotes. Then I wondered if there are wolves of any sort in NH. I'm sure they were probably coyotes but they sounded big whatever they were. Was doing a lot of stopping and checking to make sure nothing was running up on me. I think they were on the opposite bank of the river from where I was. Pretty creepy in the mist and drizzle.

Guessing it was non-wild dogs. Any chance there were people hunting or camping near you? Good old Canis familiaris is a lot noisier than wolves, that's for sure.

I have no idea what type of hunting is allowed in the Gale River Rd area. Doesn't look like much of anything on the map in the area I heard them. Closest thing would be Gale River Rd a few miles back. What would you hunt with dogs - birds? Hunting deer with dogs is illegal isn't it (not to say it doesn't happen)? Whatever they were it was quite a few of them, not just one or two, and there was plenty of howling in between the barking.

I passed a bear hunter several years ago on the Gale River. His dogs were missing overnight, and he was tracking them with a hand-held radio. Not sure what type of dogs he had, but often they'll use coonhounds and those will bay and bark while chasing what they are after up a tree.

I don't believe they were hunting right off the trail, just using it to get closer to finding wherever they were. Typically hunting off a hiking trail is pretty poor due to the activity.

I passed a bear hunter several years ago on the Gale River. His dogs were missing overnight, and he was tracking them with a hand-held radio. Not sure what type of dogs he had, but often they'll use coonhounds and those will bay and bark while chasing what they are after up a tree.

I don't believe they were hunting right off the trail, just using it to get closer to finding wherever they were. Typically hunting off a hiking trail is pretty poor due to the activity.

I'm gonna say that is probably what I heard then. Noise was probably 1/4 mile or so off trail on opposite bank of river (or at least it seemed that way - always hard to judge distance of sounds in the woods). Didn't realize dogs were used to hunt bears.

I'm gonna say that is probably what I heard then. Noise was probably 1/4 mile or so off trail on opposite bank of river (or at least it seemed that way - always hard to judge distance of sounds in the woods). Didn't realize dogs were used to hunt bears.

Yes, bear dogs are used and the woods in that area are prime deer and bear hunting grounds. I know a guide in Twin Mt. and have hunted in there myself. Just for your information, the dogs tree the bear, they hold him there until the hunter catches up, then he is shot out of the tree.

Bear season is kinda weird. Can bait them and shoot them over bait, but not whenyou can hunt them with dogs, and cant use dogs during the concurrent dear season, but bear hunting is still legal during dear season, at least in Maine.

Yes, bear dogs are used and the woods in that area are prime deer and bear hunting grounds. I know a guide in Twin Mt. and have hunted in there myself. Just for your information, the dogs tree the bear, they hold him there until the hunter catches up, then he is shot out of the tree.

That kinda makes me sick. Not very sporting. But I'm not a big fan of killing stuff for entertainment either.

If there wasn't any hunting the roads,etc would be dangerous to drive and living in Bear country would be tough with the way they get.. Have them in my yard often as it is..... Living here in NH I hope I never hit a Moose...friends have and have been lucky not to have been hurt... Deer have taken out my truck a few times.. each time I was lucky ( on the interstate going 65mph...) cost $500 deductible each time and no work truck for a couple of weeks.
Let the hunters have good luck..

I'm with you Capt. Hunting=Harvesting. Without the proper balance, nature will balance itself out and that means wildlife, most noticeably when it becomes a nuisance, expands territories to where it clashes with our species. Wildlife/fish and game commissions generally, but not always, have a good handle on how to keep that balance. Flatlanders, though perhaps well intentioned, generally do not.

Back to the coyotes. They are a means of achieving a natural balance but with no natural enemies, devastate their prey and then seek territories and prey which eventually, as predators rather than prey, clash severely with us. They can devastate a Harvest, a way of life, food in the larder and a rural economy. Open season on coyotes, I say, before they come to a back yard ... pets and children a draw ... near us. ... and, FWIW, I love seeing wildlife, it is a reason for me to hike, but in the places that are most suitable to the species.

I'm with you Capt. Hunting=Harvesting. Without the proper balance, nature will balance itself out and that means wildlife, most noticeably when it becomes a nuisance, expands territories to where it clashes with our species. Wildlife/fish and game commissions generally, but not always, have a good handle on how to keep that balance. Flatlanders, though perhaps well intentioned, generally do not.

Back to the coyotes. They are a means of achieving a natural balance but with no natural enemies, devastate their prey and then seek territories and prey which eventually, as predators rather than prey, clash severely with us. They can devastate a Harvest, a way of life, food in the larder and a rural economy. Open season on coyotes, I say, before they come to a back yard ... pets and children a draw ... near us. ... and, FWIW, I love seeing wildlife, it is a reason for me to hike, but in the places that are most suitable to the species.

It is open season on Coyotes all year. There is also a 5month trapping season, but as far as non trapping, you can take them whenever you want.

With so many people hiking, there's always the chance of an encounter and even a scary one. But they are smart, wary, and hunted. Unless rabid or starving for a medical reason or age, highly unlikely anything will happen to you.