Looking: Southern Maine Hiking Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Hey Neighbors,

I am planning on coming over the border and looking for some options for hiking in southern Maine in the Kennebunk region. I am aware of Agamenticus and the Kennebunk Land Trust but not necessarily familiar with all of the trails at each, so if you have favorites, let me know. I am open to other suggestions as well, particulary anything with very cool, unique features like caves, etc.

Specifics:

South of Portland (Bradbury is too far north for example)
Hiking from 2-4 miles RT with reasonable destination (summit, pond, cave, etc.).
A lake or pond with good swimming allowed would be ideal although not a necessity.
A good coastal hike would be fine as well with ocean swimming if that is an option.

Planning to head out tomorrow (Saturday), so if you have any favorites, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Hey Neighbors,

I am planning on coming over the border and looking for some options for hiking in southern Maine in the Kennebunk region. I am aware of Agamenticus and the Kennebunk Land Trust but not necessarily familiar with all of the trails at each, so if you have favorites, let me know. I am open to other suggestions as well, particulary anything with very cool, unique features like caves, etc.

Specifics:

South of Portland (Bradbury is too far north for example)
Hiking from 2-4 miles RT with reasonable destination (summit, pond, cave, etc.).
A lake or pond with good swimming allowed would be ideal although not a necessity.
A good coastal hike would be fine as well with ocean swimming if that is an option.

Planning to head out tomorrow (Saturday), so if you have any favorites, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Saco Boardwalk is kind of interesting. Rachel Carson Preserve and the Laudholm land trust in Kennebunk/Wells. Eastern Trail is a mult-use path that goes from Portland on South. Part of it goes through the Scarborough Marshes. All of these are very flat.

It has been a long time since I hiked this loop but if you want Maine coast rocky ocean this is one in Scarborough

http://www.mainebyfoot.com/prouts-neck-cliff-walk-with-ferry-and-scarborough-beaches-scarborough/

The locals used to discourage the general public from hiking this loop but it is public right of way, at least one owner posted private property signs even though it was public right of way. The best option is to call Black Point Inn 207-883-2500. This is upscale resort but in the past you could park there if you eat a meal there, breakfast or lunch as dinner is formal. Beat time to go is low tide.

Another out of the box idea is take the ferry to Peaks Island and walk around the island see the Portland trails website http://trails.org/our-trails/ #30. It runs through neighborhoods for about half the trip but the seashore drive section is right on the ocean and Battery Steel is worth visiting http://www.peaksislandlandpreserve.org/#!places-we-protect/c2361. Its important to plan to make it back for the ferry ride as water taxi isn't cheap.

Portland Trails has quite a few interesting trails. The walk along the Eastern Prom is real nice and its the best time of the day to stop in the Old Port (I don't go near the place at night)

Not sure if you'd call it hiking or not, but have you walked the Marginal Way from Perkins Cove to Ogunquit? Crowded as all heck, but it's a must (do it first thing in the AM).

Also do the short walk to Cascade Falls in Saco, although it may not be flowing all that well since we haven't had that much rain.

I have pretty much redlined Mt. Agamenticus. It is my favorite place within a 45 minute drive.

My favorite trails/areas are:

• Blueberry Bluff to Mt. A summit
  • Vulture's View to Mt. A summit above Ring Trail
  • Second Hill
  • Third hill

There are many ways to Third Hill. The key is getting out to the Wheel Trail. Take a LEFT at the end when it intersects with the Great Marsh Trail and immediately look for a sign to Third Hill on your right.

My suggestion is to take Ledge Trail up, intersect with Third Hill Trail just below summit, go across and down Third Hill, take a right at Bobcat and loop back to Ledge Trail. If you take Third Hill Trail to Great Marsh Trail, it can be VERY swampy and buggy on Great Marsh.

Here is a map, showing the trails: http://www.agamenticus.org/index.php/recreation-trails/trail-map

Enjoy.
Marty

Maybe too late but Laudholm Farm has nice trails and a beach walk, too.

Map Adventures has a "Maine Southern Coast" map/guide that's mostly shorter stuff (lots in the 1.5-2mi range). I picked it up from Mountain Wanderer.

Ossippee Hill and the surrounding hills around Newfield, Shapleigh, Waterboro have some nice trails and ponds.