Baldface Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grey J

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning my August trip to NH and the Baldfaces are my #1 goal this year. I've actually been thinking about this one for awhile but I felt compelled to finish off the 48 4K peaks first. Finished that up in 2015 so now I guess I'll start checking out some of these attractive 3K hikes I've read so much about. I'll be around for a week so I'm going to save this one for a fair day with blue skies.

I'll be ascending via Slippery Brook Trail, not so much to avoid the ledges as simply to extend the loop to include Baldface Knob 3025' without having to backtrack. I also want to bag Eagle Crag 3030' on the other side after descending North Baldface, then backtracking a little and descending via Bicknell Ridge Trail. Someone here (JustJoe I think) recommended BRT over the Baldface Circle Trail for descent. I will also stop at the Emerald Pool on the way out to cool down. Hope its nice as the name implies. Any feedback on this route, or something I'm missing, is most welcome. I have this pegged at 11.7 miles and 3700 feet of elevation gain. Looks like a full day at my pace, especially taking photos, so I 'll try to hit the trail by 7 am.

I'm planning my August trip to NH and the Baldfaces are my #1 goal this year. I've actually been thinking about this one for awhile but I felt compelled to finish off the 48 4K peaks first. Finished that up in 2015 so now I guess I'll start checking out some of these attractive 3K hikes I've read so much about. I'll be around for a week so I'm going to save this one for a fair day with blue skies.

I'll be ascending via Slippery Brook Trail, not so much to avoid the ledges as simply to extend the loop to include Baldface Knob 3025' without having to backtrack. I also want to bag Eagle Crag 3030' on the other side after descending North Baldface, then backtracking a little and descending via Bicknell Ridge Trail. Someone here (JustJoe I think) recommended BRT over the Baldface Circle Trail for descent. I will also stop at the Emerald Pool on the way out to cool down. Hope its nice as the name implies. Any feedback on this route, or something I'm missing, is most welcome. I have this pegged at 11.7 miles and 3700 feet of elevation gain. Looks like a full day at my pace, especially taking photos, so I 'll try to hit the trail by 7 am.

I did the standard route, but it was around 1990, so I won't comment on specifics as my memory is well, old. I will say this, pick a nice day, just a stunning amount of open climbing. In fact, I may have to go back and show my dog the route. Have Fun.:D

You pretty well have it nailed. If I add in Eagle Craq, I usually come down the Circle trail versus Bicknell but I really don't remember a lot of difference. There are spots to get wet after the two trails meet. Emerald Pool is nice but a bit too close to the road so I would keep my shoes on in case of glass on the bottom. Your start time should help out with the crowds. The WMNF enforces parking passes at the lot. Definitely best done on nice clear day. Since you are skipping the ledges overnight rain shouldn't be an issue.

Slippery Brook trail is very well graded alternative to the ledges but the ledges are quite a treat to miss (if you like ledges). Added bonus are a lot of blueberries on the ledges (although after the slippery brook junction to the junction above the ledges usually has plenty of berries).

The only caveat is getting to the trailhead, the roads in the area are a bit of a maze and decidedly rural. Depending on where you stay it might be hard to meet the 7 AM start unless you plan for it accordingly. Many folks run out of water on this hike but I attribute it mostly due to a lot of novice hikers biting off more than they can chew.

My GF and I did it in March when it was icy. It was snowing when we climbed up slippery brook trail, but once on the knob, we were above the clouds and it warmed up. It took us all day. Im not sure if the slides down the ice on North Baldface helped our time or not. Definitely an experience.

I also was going to suggest hitting Eastman. Not the greatest of views but you're right there. There's a huge difference between the Bicknell Ridge Tr, and BCT past Eagle Crag. The BCT is a quick, steep, drop into the woods and a boring as hell section of trail. (IMO) The BRT is one view after another for another mile or so.

GE.jpg

The only thing you might add is Eagle Cascade. I've past the link 4 times myself but have yet to check it out and don't know if it's worth the effort.

Emerald Pool is.
DSC_8228.JPG

I'll give a vote to include Eastman in your itinerary. It's quite a nice little peak with views in all directions if you wander around the partially-treed summit area.
-vegematic

If you're going up Slippery Brook, definitely add Eastman. As mentioned, going up the ledges on South Baldface is a much more engaging and beautiful route. The drop to the Knob is tiny and less backtracking than tagging Eastman, so to me, going CW up the BCT would be a more rewarding hike - cresting the knob with the view to the South Summit is a really cool experience, similar to popping out above tree line on Bondcliff, though less iconic. The spring by the shelter can be unreliable though, so make sure to bring enough water for the whole loop if you go that way. If you wanted to extend the hike, traveling down the Meader Ridge trail and down the Mt Meader Trail might be an easy way, if you don't mind starting with a relatively short and flat road walk. Either way it's an spectacular place to visit - you'll wonder why it took you so long.

Great feedback and much appreciated. Starting with the drive to the trailhead, you're right peakbagger, I'll be coming over from the Franconia area and I estimate an hour and a half to an hour and 45 for the drive, following route 3, cutting over NE on route 115 to route 2 and then taking route 2 to the Maine border and heading south on route 113. This takes N Conway out of the equation. But yeah, that's 4:30 am wake up if I want get boots on the ground at 7 am.

Since virtually everyone is suggesting I include Eastman (Ah, its on 52wav!) I guess I'll have to add that 1.6m and 400 vertical feet side trip. Ok so now I'm looking at 13.3 miles and 4100 feet of elevation gain. A hard but rewarding hike. Joe, I had not really noticed the Eagle Cascade Link but why not? It doesn't add any distance and I'm always up for a water feature.

Egilbe, thanks for the photos, I love the undercast shots and the Emerald Pool pix from you and Joe show it really is very green. All the photos posted are fantastic and Tim I really liked the interactive Strava chart. Pretty cool. This really looks like an amazing hike, one I could do again next year using a different route. TJ, I know my limits so I'm afraid Meader will have to wait for another time but yeah, I see you can do a loop over that way too using Meader Ridge and Mt Meader Trails. This a whole new area of the Whites for me. I'd like to do East and West Royce some time as well. Thanks again everyone. Happy trails.

I also was going to suggest hitting Eastman. Not the greatest of views but you're right there. There's a huge difference between the Bicknell Ridge Tr, and BCT past Eagle Crag. The BCT is a quick, steep, drop into the woods and a boring as hell section of trail. (IMO) The BRT is one view after another for another mile or so.

I would second the taking of Bicknell. It has a lot of outlooks and knobs with nice views that really extend the overall hike. I had read to avoid this trail too but by the time I got to junction for Eagle Crag I opted to skip it and start heading down. Was glad I did it. It wasn't overly demanding in my opinion.

Many folks run out of water on this hike but I attribute it mostly due to a lot of novice hikers biting off more than they can chew.

This is great advice on this trail - it is very dry. I was a thirsty novice on this trail in the nineties once and did that very thing.

This is great advice on this trail - it is very dry. I was a thirsty novice on this trail in the nineties once and did that very thing.

Thanks, good to know. I don't stop to filter, I just carry enough based on the distance I am traveling. Two and half liters was good for my Owls Head day trip last year and the Bondcliff day trip in 2013, both 18 milers but with less elevation gain. I was thinking 2 liters on this one and stash an emergency pint bottle at the .7 in loop junction in case I run out. Probably leave another in the cooler at the car. There might just be a beer in there as well.

I was thinking 2 liters on this one and stash an emergency pint bottle at the .7 in loop junction in case I run out.

If you're going to stash it there, you can just go to Emerald Pool and fill up there. I'd get the water a ways, above, the pool though. :cool: I've drunk water, without treating it, from many sources in the WMNF without issue. I'm not saying there's no risk of any water being contaminated, I've just never found it to be an issue.

I finally did this hike on 8/23/16. It was a glorious day and the hike certainly lived up to expectations. I will write a TR in that section. 2 liters of water was all I needed and I carried that from the start. Did not bother to stash any, just had cold water waiting at the car.

Glad you had a good hike, Grey J. Figured I'd piggyback on this thread since I can't find a lot of info on the South Baldface shelter. Are there any legal spots to tent in the area or is it 1/4 mile restricted? People mention the BCT is very dry higher up, but is there any water source at or near the shelter?