Anyone hiked the relocated Abol trail this summer ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I made some reservations for Abol Campground Labor day week to try the newly relocated trail. Just curious if anyone has hiked it yet in the summer?. I have seen some posts from winter climbers.

I was surprised at how open the reservation book was, I got a lean to at both Abol and South Branch Pond (I am in the mood for a traveler loop).

Just curious if anyone has hiked it yet in the summer?. I have seen some posts from winter climbers. /QUOTE]

We've been volunteering in Baxter for the last two weeks and the rangers told me that the Maine Conservation Corps kids are still working on it building stone work and water bars.

I did not hike it but folks who did said the many switchbacks really civilize the climb to Thoreau Spring. And using it for descent is a lot easier than sliding down the slide.

I think it adds 0.3 m to the climb.

I was also told that the slide remains open as a "Bushwhack" route to the Table Lands

cb

I plan to be there after Labor day so I suspect the typical summertime trail crews will be done for the season. I look forward to hiking the new trail as I don't remember much from my only other hike on the old Abol trail in 1971.