elk lake - marcy trail?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Reaction score
Looking for info on the Elk Lake - Marcy trail for Columbus Day weekend. The original plan was to do Skylight from Upper Works with two nights out, but I've done most of that before and I've always wanted to see Panther Gorge. So the idea is to spend two nights in Panther Gorge and day hike Skylight from there.

From the parking area at Elk Lake, is Panther Gorge feasible in one day?

Is the lean-to still there?

How early does the public parking area at Elk Lake fill up?

I often drive to the trailhead the night before and hike a mile or so in the dark before finding a place to crash for an early start the next day. With 5 miles from Elk Lake to reach a legal campsite, that's tough but maybe doable? Or some other "just off the road" spot on state land? An alternate might be to book a room at Elk Lake Lodge for the night, if available...

Any other thoughts?

Panther Gorge has a good lean-to. Not too bad from Elk Lake. Coming out will be tougher as there's an extra 700 feet to climb.

Columbus Day weekend will be crowded, but if you are arriving Thursday instead of Friday parking shouldn't be a problem.

It's all private land until you get to Pinnacle Ridge five miles in, and the available spots there will be hard to find in the dark.

Elk Lake Lodge is not cheap.

With the recent state purchase of the Casey Brook Tract, it is now only just over 3 miles from the trailhead to state land at the top of the pass between the Colvin Range and Boreas Mt. No designated campsites in that area, but the woods are open and it would be easy to get the required 150' off the trail to set up camp.