Things are heating up over ATV trails in Nash Stream

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's ok if you hear the buzzing of cars and trucks in the Notch? and park right on the road making it a safety hazzard.. Oh ..the woods are for just you and you alone selfish folks alone? Why don't you go some where else during seasons like I do to get away from all the crazy 4 k trail heads ...with dog poop, people poop everywhere not to mention again the parking issues... I went thru this down on the Cape.. people not liking boat ramps.... but like outside music ..fairs or motorcycles etc. oh they are o.k.
I learned some people are just plain selfish ... narrow at best.. thank God most aren't allow what we do have... much as I hate outside music festivals in town etc. I don't go complaining all over about it. I learned from the cape to share.. love the Cog love hiking love snowmobileing,camping, traveling across the us.. I'm an all around live and let live.. guy..
I don't own a ATV but I know they are good people.. unlike the creeps I find in Ma near the citys..and at their events..

Yep, really want to share as long as it fits your narrative

Ha...26 signatures.. not good... I would like to ban Motorcycles... hate the noise myself. Also Semi trucks barreling down the hill. Hate that noise as well. Also close all the bars as I hate boozers...

It's ok if you hear the buzzing of cars and trucks in the Notch? and park right on the road making it a safety hazzard.. Oh ..the woods are for just you and you alone selfish folks alone? Why don't you go some where else during seasons like I do to get away from all the crazy 4 k trail heads ...with dog poop, people poop everywhere not to mention again the parking issues... I went thru this down on the Cape.. people not liking boat ramps.... but like outside music ..fairs or motorcycles etc. oh they are o.k.
I learned some people are just plain selfish ... narrow at best.. thank God most aren't allow what we do have... much as I hate outside music festivals in town etc. I don't go complaining all over about it. I learned from the cape to share.. love the Cog love hiking love snowmobileing,camping, traveling across the us.. I'm an all around live and let live.. guy..
I don't own a ATV but I know they are good people.. unlike the creeps I find in Ma near the citys..and at their events..

Huh. All that just to shit on MA.

I did the Cohos Trial north to south last August. Boy that was lonely! I have to say, I did welcome seeing the ATV folks on the roads. They were often...not the physically fittest people, to be certain, but in some perverse way, at least they were getting outside.

I also didn't notice the sounds of their engines unless they were quite close. ATV aren't loud like motorcycles can be.

I don't know. On the one hand, I am a purist, but on the other, that neck of the woods is so big, and so poor, that adding a few folks willing to come up, stay somewhere, and buzz around roads that would otherwise be empty didn't both me they might in a more heavily populated area. I guess I feel like everybody should have a place to do their thing, and that part of of NH is just so desolate, why not let people come up and buzz around in it? Once i was in Nash Stream, it was quiet as quiet could be.

Brian

I've used portions of ATV and snowmobile trails while hiking, skiing or snowshoeing lots of times and have usually gotten friendly waves when we meet. Those users build and maintain trails and try to teach an ethic much as we non-motorized recreationalists do. The holier than thou attitude of some is amusing, especially in the profiling and castigation of complete strangers. I'd say, let the local population decide but if banned from a certain route, then at least try to find an accommodation to avoid cutting off use to a remote area completely.

I hiked the Percy Peaks yesterday and noticed this sign on Nash Stream Rd as we approached the Percy Peaks trailhead. Apparently ATV opponents in the ascendency.

IMG_0043.jpg

Not really, Nash stream only has very limited ATV trails that are approved for use. Unfortunately some minority of folks on ATVs ignore the permitted routes.

Not really, Nash stream only has very limited ATV trails that are approved for use. Unfortunately some minority of folks on ATVs ignore the permitted routes.

Ignore? how about maybe getting lost ? being an avid snowmobiler I can attest to how easy it is to get off track with the signage used and deployed by volunteers..

……. I guess I feel like everybody should have a place to do their thing, and that part of of NH is just so desolate, why not let people come up and buzz around in it? Once i was in Nash Stream, it was quiet as quiet could be.

Brian

Jericho Mountain State Park was purchased for this specific purpose, with a portion of OHRV registration funds earmarked for this specific purpose. Nash Stream State Forest was originally purchased by and with funds from Society for the Protection of NH Forests & The Nature Conservancy for the specific intent to preserve nearly the entire head of this watershed in northern NH (in conjunction with the goals of state foresters). The objectives were to maintain forest integrity and a place for traditional recreation to continue, and for people to hunt & fish.

Many of us up north avoid the Whites as crowds that have increased since the 1970's have affected the solitude of old, and the writing was on the wall when this tract was preserved. For some from a much more developed place, the Whites may seem like wilderness and Nash desolate. But for many up here the Whites are suburbia and places like Nash precious to us as a last vestige of undeveloped forest (desolate=good).

Jericho Mountain State Park was purchased for this specific purpose, with a portion of OHRV registration funds earmarked for this specific purpose. Nash Stream State Forest was originally purchased by and with funds from Society for the Protection of NH Forests & The Nature Conservancy for the specific intent to preserve nearly the entire head of this watershed in northern NH (in conjunction with the goals of state foresters). The objectives were to maintain forest integrity and a place for traditional recreation to continue, and for people to hunt & fish.

Many of us up north avoid the Whites as crowds that have increased since the 1970's have affected the solitude of old, and the writing was on the wall when this tract was preserved. For some from a much more developed place, the Whites may seem like wilderness and Nash desolate. But for many up here the Whites are suburbia and places like Nash precious to us as a last vestige of undeveloped forest (desolate=good).
The goal has been maintained and working well according to plan.