Trail Magic and Stratton Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I helped with some trail magic again, this time in Vermont. The Green Mountain Club was supplying magic all up the Long Trail, and the Connecticut Section (with help from the Worcester Section) provided it where the LT (which is also the AT there) crosses Kelly Stand Road, in between Story Spring Shelter and Stratton Mountain.

Jim, Kevin, and I from the Connecticut Section, along with Early Bird and Danger Monkey from the Worcester Section, set up magic where the LT meets the road from the south. (There's a little road walk on KS Road.) Miker came around later and helped. We magicked several waves of through hikers, both LT and AT, mostly northbound, with fruit, cheese, candy, lemonade, soda, and other stuff probably I can't remember.

Midafternoon I took some time off to climb Stratton, because I'm not driving all the way to Vermont and not hike. This was my sixth time there. The LT up to Stratton was pretty busy, both with through hikers and day hikers. One noticeable difference from other times I've been there was the lack of mud. It has been very dry in Vermont this year, and it was clear while hiking the first flat part of that hike, which can be very muddy.

When I got to the summit I climbed the tower, looked around a bit, chatted with a caretaker, and headed back down. When I got back to Kelly Stand Road, most of our group had packed up and gone, but there was an entirely different trail magic happening. A couple whose daughter is through hiking the AT had set up their own magic and were cooking burgers for a big crowd of hikers. I donated the remained of our magic to them.

Here are the pictures.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 44/115 (34/67, 10/46, 0/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 39/48; NEHH 81/100
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll

Jim, Kevin, and I from the Connecticut Section, along with Early Bird and Danger Monkey from the Worcester Section, set up magic where the LT meets the road from the south.

Two comments:
1. Thank you for your angelic efforts.
2. The northbound trail to Stratton is this summer part of the green mountain adventure challenge. Lots of weekend warriors will be climbing Stratton for the sole purpose of counting the steps to the fire tower. Yeah, I was one last weekend. Crazy game, but lots of hiking and lots of fun.

-Rich

Was nice to see you n others there n thanks for the horse-pit-al-itty :) Got this pix of you at the summit.

I jogged/hiked clockwise 16 mile loop from where you were on Kelly Stand Rd, Branch Pond Tr, Lye Brook Tr, AT/LT. A reeeaaallly nice day!!!

stratton 7-16 1.jpg

The northbound trail to Stratton is this summer part of the green mountain adventure challenge..

Yeah, I saw lots of people with Green Mtn. Adventure Challenge shirts.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 44/115 (34/67, 10/46, 0/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 39/48; NEHH 81/100
LT NB 2009

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll