Firewarden Trail And Lend-A-Hand Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I'm considering a loop over the Twins, Guyot and Zealand and was thinking about using the Lend-A-Hand Trail and Firewarden's Trail to start it out (after Zealand Trail). I've never done either trail so I'm looking to work them into the hike and add a different twist. So basically:

1) How is the footing on Lend-A-Hand Trail? The grades seem less severe than coming up via Hale Brook Trail but I assume this trail doesn't see much use. Is it rough and/or hard to follow?

2) Is the Firewarden Trail worn to the point of being a path that can be followed in Summer? I see many references to this route in Winter and know where it joins the North Twin Trail but does it require knowledge of the route to follow in Summer? Where do you pick it up at summit of Hale?

3) How long is the Firewarden's Trail in miles?

Any thoughts on these trails would be appreciated.

The Firewardens trail is very well beat down, with the exception of the sharp turn off the extension of the North Twin trail which is easy to find if you know where it is. It looks like the same person who laid out and cut the Garfield trail built the Firewardens trail (both appear to have been built to build a fire tower and associated cabin). The trail comes up to the summit from the slight col between the summit and a knob to the Northwest (NW Hale). The trail is quite obvious once you head in the woods but where it breaks out into the clearing it diverges into a couple of paths . Be careful this is a popular area for folks to use the woods as a toilet so watch your step. I expect for those who use a GPS that there are plenty of tracks available for the Firewardens trail.

1. Footing on Lend-A-Hand can be a bit wet, but there are plenty of rocks and bog bridging so your feet should stay dry, especially this dry summer. The trail is very well travelled and passes through some ledgy areas with nice views toward SW Hale, a NH 100 highest peak.

2. Firewardens Trail is well worn and easy to follow. When I did it ~3 weeks ago, the ferns were encroaching on the trail a bit, but the way is obvious. It is not a bushwhack! There are some seeps along the way, with 3 or 4 potential short mud pits. FT has A much softer footbed than Hale Brook Trail--way more dirt than rocks. :) To find the trail from the summit of Hale, look west. There are a couple of openings. You could take either because they rejoin shortly. There are some old oil (?) barrels in a shallow Col about 1/4 mile down and a nice viewpoint north toward the Presies a little beyond that. There were lots of toads on the FT 3 weeks ago--at least a dozen--so watch your footing!

3. Tim answered.

Thanks all. Looks like I will give this a try.

I've never done it, but was on Hale the other day and found it. I walked down a bit and the footbed is well worn.

If you can wait until Autumn to hike it you'll get to travel the birch glades through peak foliage which is pretty awesome! The old trail is great, you may never want to hike up Hale Brook Trail again after FW, enjoy your hike :)

- Chris

If you can wait until Autumn to hike it you'll get to travel the birch glades through peak foliage which is pretty awesome! The old trail is great, you may never want to hike up Hale Brook Trail again after FW, enjoy your hike :)

- Chris

I already don't want to hike up Hale Brook Trail again. :p Probably going to do in next few weeks while there is still a lot of daylight. If it is that nice I will definitely revisit as a shorter hike.

In a totally unrelated question, you didn't happen to be trail running on the Lion Head Trail this past Saturday late, approx 7PM? I stopped at the outlook and a guy went by that looked really familiar jogging downhill at a decent clip. Thought maybe it was you when I thought about it.

In a totally unrelated question, you didn't happen to be trail running on the Lion Head Trail this past Saturday late, approx 7PM? I stopped at the outlook and a guy went by that looked really familiar jogging downhill at a decent clip. Thought maybe it was you when I thought about it.

Wasn't me, I was wandering around the Great Gulf, maybe it was my Doppelgänger :eek:

Wasn't me, I was wandering around the Great Gulf, maybe it was my Doppelgänger :eek:

So was I. Did a big loop (well big for me anyway) of Great Gulf > Buttress > Star Lake to Adams > Gulfside all the way around to Washington > Lion Head > Raymand Path > Madison Gulf > Great Gulf and out. Was feeling pretty satisfied with the size of the hike I was doing and the pace I was setting and then this dude basically came running down the trail and right by me and vanished from sight in about 6 minutes. I knew you worked on Sphinx Trail so I thought possibly it was you. Guy looked really familiar.

I already don't want to hike up Hale Brook Trail again. :p Probably going to do in next few weeks while there is still a lot of daylight. If it is that nice I will definitely revisit as a shorter hike.

Not sure who you hike with, but this trail has been on my radar for quite some time. I am NOT a bushwacker, but this seems more like a "use" trail to use a western term. I'd be interested in doing it if you want company. I have a 14 day vacation coming up in Aug, so I'm flexible. I usually solo with my dog.

Not sure who you hike with, but this trail has been on my radar for quite some time. I am NOT a bushwacker, but this seems more like a "use" trail to use a western term. I'd be interested in doing it if you want company. I have a 14 day vacation coming up in Aug, so I'm flexible. I usually solo with my dog.

I hike alone too. I've become used to hiking alone and the freedom it allows (pushing yourself when you feel like it, slacking when you're "not feeling it", changing the itinerary if the mood strikes, etc. I'm sure you know what I mean). I usually have two or three possible hikes I mull over during the week and then pick the one that hits me based on which day my wife works on the weekends and what the weather is looking like. I do all my hikes as day trips too so depending how much driving I did for work during the week sways me one way or the other. Long story short, it is usually a fairly last minute impulse decision whether I go or not and where I wind up. I'm also planning these trails as part of a 21.5 mile loop over Hale, The Twins, Guyot, Zealand and back (which by my calculations will take me about 15 hours at my pace) so I don't know if this would make sense as a "first hike" with someone I have never hiked with (pace, how many stops you take, how long they are, blah, blah, blah). I also may not be able to hike next weekend and the following weekend I'll be camping in NY so the timing is probably wrong too as it relates to your vacation.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind meeting up with you for a hike at some point when setting a pace and being deadline oriented isn't a priority. We seem to share a similar perspective on a lot of the issues discussed here and elsewhere and you've given me a lot of good advice these past few years with all my questions. I think we'd probably get along. I also wouldn't mind picking your brain on hiking out West in Colorado and your experiences out there, how you got into rock climbing, etc. This year I've done several trips away from the Whites where I have always hiked and it has increased my interest in doing a "real mountain". I go to Vegas every September and flying over the Rockies and seeing all those mountains makes me think at some point I may get on a plane with my hiking gear and check it out. You sound like a good person to talk to about that based on posts you've made.

So, maybe later this year we can meet up and try these trails again (if you haven't done already) or some other spot. If I remember right you do Pierce often, which may fit the bill nicely for a casual hike. Of course, I need to meet Buddy as well! (I love dogs so hiking with him will be a treat I'm sure).

Many people have done the hardest part of the "bushwhack" when they take the winter route to North Twin which traditionally skips the first two crossings of the river by going straight at the first crossing.. There is a section of steep side slope that runs along a side channel of the river which does not have good treadway, if the water is low a hiker can normally just walk up the bed of the side channel. As mentioned the Glades get "ferny" but the actual trail bed appears to have ben laid up with bull dozer so its not too hard to stay in among the ferns. After the seventh or 8th switchback you will transition to softwoods where there is very obvious corridor at least 10 feet wide. Follow this to the top of the ridge and turn right. Then follow the obvious trailbed through ferns and hobblebush past the NW peak into a sag where the oil barrels are. From them on its well cut trail to the wood just short of the summit. The last 10 feet prior to stepping out into the summit clearing is probably the thickest the entire route gets.

I hike alone too. I've become used to hiking alone and the freedom it allows (pushing yourself when you feel like it, slacking when you're "not feeling it", changing the itinerary if the mood strikes, etc. I'm sure you know what I mean). I usually have two or three possible hikes I mull over during the week and then pick the one that hits me based on which day my wife works on the weekends and what the weather is looking like. I do all my hikes as day trips too so depending how much driving I did for work during the week sways me one way or the other. Long story short, it is usually a fairly last minute impulse decision whether I go or not and where I wind up. I'm also planning these trails as part of a 21.5 mile loop over Hale, The Twins, Guyot, Zealand and back (which by my calculations will take me about 15 hours at my pace) so I don't know if this would make sense as a "first hike" with someone I have never hiked with (pace, how many stops you take, how long they are, blah, blah, blah). I also may not be able to hike next weekend and the following weekend I'll be camping in NY so the timing is probably wrong too as it relates to your vacation.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind meeting up with you for a hike at some point when setting a pace and being deadline oriented isn't a priority. We seem to share a similar perspective on a lot of the issues discussed here and elsewhere and you've given me a lot of good advice these past few years with all my questions. I think we'd probably get along. I also wouldn't mind picking your brain on hiking out West in Colorado and your experiences out there, how you got into rock climbing, etc. This year I've done several trips away from the Whites where I have always hiked and it has increased my interest in doing a "real mountain". I go to Vegas every September and flying over the Rockies and seeing all those mountains makes me think at some point I may get on a plane with my hiking gear and check it out. You sound like a good person to talk to about that based on posts you've made.

So, maybe later this year we can meet up and try these trails again (if you haven't done already) or some other spot. If I remember right you do Pierce often, which may fit the bill nicely for a casual hike. Of course, I need to meet Buddy as well! (I love dogs so hiking with him will be a treat I'm sure).

Actually, I was interested in doing the FW trail with you, not that loop, 21 mile loops are not for me. I asked because I agree, we would have a lot to talk about, I can talk mountains forever, lol. As much as I enjoy soloing for a lot of the reasons you stated, I love meeting people on the trail. Sometimes we talk for a few, sometimes I'll hike with someone I meet for hours. I don't really care what we hike, I hike the 4k's. My hikes come in under 12 miles for the most part, occasionally more. You let me know, pm if you want to hike. Buddy will just hike along, the lowest maintenance, nose to the ground hiking dog you will meet. As far as the 14ers in CO, you have to get out there, period.

There are people who don't skip the first two crossings? I thought that was a "given" these days. Am I mistaken, Tim, that you once met me around Guyot Mtn, having taken a short cut?

Actually, I was interested in doing the FW trail with you, not that loop, 21 mile loops are not for me. I asked because I agree, we would have a lot to talk about, I can talk mountains forever, lol. As much as I enjoy soloing for a lot of the reasons you stated, I love meeting people on the trail. Sometimes we talk for a few, sometimes I'll hike with someone I meet for hours. I don't really care what we hike, I hike the 4k's. My hikes come in under 12 miles for the most part, occasionally more. You let me know, pm if you want to hike. Buddy will just hike along, the lowest maintenance, nose to the ground hiking dog you will meet. As far as the 14ers in CO, you have to get out there, period.

I figured that was what you meant so I wanted to be clear about what I was planning. If it is as nice as advertised I'll likely go back in the Fall to see it in full color.

Many people have done the hardest part of the "bushwhack" when they take the winter route to North Twin which traditionally skips the first two crossings of the river by going straight at the first crossing.. There is a section of steep side slope that runs along a side channel of the river which does not have good treadway, if the water is low a hiker can normally just walk up the bed of the side channel. As mentioned the Glades get "ferny" but the actual trail bed appears to have ben laid up with bull dozer so its not too hard to stay in among the ferns. After the seventh or 8th switchback you will transition to softwoods where there is very obvious corridor at least 10 feet wide. Follow this to the top of the ridge and turn right. Then follow the obvious trailbed through ferns and hobblebush past the NW peak into a sag where the oil barrels are. From them on its well cut trail to the wood just short of the summit. The last 10 feet prior to stepping out into the summit clearing is probably the thickest the entire route gets.

I've traveled the herd path on North Twin many times, once in the dark and in Winter. In fact, I've never actually taken the official trail from the 1st to 3rd crossing. Have to do that too one of these days. I'll be descending the Firewarden's Trail on my route. Will the ferns in this glade area be a concern heading downhill? If the woods are open enough I'm sure I could just plot a bearing and go down to the river but I don't want to lose much time in here because I'll still have 15 miles or so left to the loop at this point and the only bail out would be to go back up to Hale and down.

I guess anyone could get lost anywhere but the FWT is in far better condition than many actual official trails, the ferns are not an issue. It is heavily switch backed with long swings back and forth that could be 1/4 mile. If you are truly paranoid the entire valley drains to a stream that then drains to the Little River (you cross it on the North Twin bypass).

I guess anyone could get lost anywhere but the FWT is in far better condition than many actual official trails, the ferns are not an issue. It is heavily switch backed with long swings back and forth that could be 1/4 mile. If you are truly paranoid the entire valley drains to a stream that then drains to the Little River (you cross it on the North Twin bypass).

Not paranoid. I'm familiar with the area, just not the Firewarden Trail. I think maybe I misunderstood your comment about the ferns. You made it sound like I'd be wandering through fields of ferns and feeling for a firm path underneath as the trail. I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks.